Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions for Spring...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ok, who has lost weight and who has added a ton of muscle mass this off season. It happens every season, people get so excited that a player either hit the weight room or the exercise bike.

So far Gorzo has shed some pounds...

I'm thinking we'll hear that McCutchen has added some bulk.

7:00 PM

Post subject: Re: Questions for Spring...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:07 pm 

I found weight and lost muscle mass, what do I win?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:08 pm 

I was excited last spring by Doumit's weight shedding...He bulked up while shedding the pounds

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:25 pm 

Rotoauthority actually examined this issue recently. They took all published reports from the media that used spring training cliches about losing weight, running more, etc. and then examined that player's performance throughout the season to see if they actually improved. Interestingly, many players who lost weight got worse last year. Its divided into 2 parts:

Players who claimed to have lost weight or added muscle:

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2009/01/fo ... sprin.html

Players who claimed they had changed their routine, added a new pitch, were finally healthy, etc.:

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2009/01/fo ... spr-1.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:47 pm 

I don't know if your post was inspired by DK's blog, but if not, according to his blog.......

Quote:
A couple other items: Matt Capps looks to be in exceptional shape, upon first glance, though he downplayed it. ... Paul Maholm, too. ... Seems like everyone who is supposed to be here is here, but it is hard to get a head count with so many moving bodies out there. ... Weather is about 50 degrees and climbing, hardly great for pitching, but nobody is complaining. John Grabow just left his new home in Erie, and he would be last to complain. ... Oh, and this just in: Nyjer Morgan is in a great mood.

For those of you needing a shot of warm images and baseball, check out the pics as well.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/01/14/minicamp-day-1-get-to-work.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:56 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I don't know if your post was inspired by DK's blog, but if not, according to his blog.......

Quote:
A couple other items: Matt Capps looks to be in exceptional shape, upon first glance, though he downplayed it. ... Paul Maholm, too. ... Seems like everyone who is supposed to be here is here, but it is hard to get a head count with so many moving bodies out there. ... Weather is about 50 degrees and climbing, hardly great for pitching, but nobody is complaining. John Grabow just left his new home in Erie, and he would be last to complain. ... Oh, and this just in: Nyjer Morgan is in a great mood.

Good for Grabow. When I was a kid and envisioned the rewards that came with being a major league player, that cool home in Erie was top of the list.

Actually, the 50 degree weather is probably a good thing, good for preparing to play in Pittsburgh in April. If Adam Laroche isnt there maybe he should be. Get in some cold weather hitting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:49 pm 

LaRoche doesn't even train much in the off-season he goes out hunting all the time.
And you also know he probably always drunk off his ass.
In a couple years we will find out he beats his wife and has 3 other wives in Alabama or just some tied up in the basement.With Martin and Giles whats next?
He tops my list for players i exspect that live double lives.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:05 pm 

Don't hold back Colin, tell us how you really feel about our first baseman. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:14 pm 

Colin21 wrote:

My pick for a guy leading a double life is Ian Snell. Or is it... Oquendo? Guy lives under an alias for 3 years and I get plenty suspicious.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Colin21 wrote:
LaRoche doesn't even train much in the off-season he goes out hunting all the time.
And you also know he probably always drunk off his ass.
In a couple years we will find out he beats his wife and has 3 other wives in Alabama or just some tied up in the basement.With Martin and Giles whats next?

Wow...I hope there was some tongue in cheek within that post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:35 pm 

Argentum wrote:

Quote:

For those of you needing a shot of warm images and baseball, check out the pics as well.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/01/14/minicamp-day-1-get-to-work.aspx

Whoa! Grabow lives in Erie? I wonder where? I know he's part of the caravan coming to Millcreek Mall on the 28th.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm 

He just got married in the offseason. His new wife is from Erie.