Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dusty out!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:45 am 

According to the associated press, Dusty Baker is out as the manager of the Reds....
no link, but it is being reported on the 93.7

Post subject: Re: Dusty out!!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:33 am 

It's true. I honestly think from living here that the fan/media pressure got to Jocketty, as he immediately said after the WCG that Baker would be back for the last year of his contract. The city is brutally, vehemently anti-Baker at this point. I said in the WCG thread that with what I felt the day after, it wouldn't at all surprise me if grassroots anti-Baker stuff started happening with fan involvement similar to something like the "IrateFans" protest from years ago.

Kind of like with the Theo Epstein hire, ultimately bad news for the Pirates. Though speaking of the Cubs, they're also currently on the manager search after firing Dale Sveum. If the Reds go internal I could see the pitching coach Brian Price getting promoted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:40 am 

TheShark wrote:
Though speaking of the Cubs, they're also currently on the manager search after firing Dale Sveum.

Even before Sveum's firing, it had been widely reported in Chicago that Epstein had been in contact with Girardi's "people" about whether he'd be interested in managing the Cubs. I fully expect Girardi to be on the North Side next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 pm 

I know a ton of Reds fans and they are ALL rejoicing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:42 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
I know a ton of Reds fans and they are ALL rejoicing.

The whole city is. Take a look at a post I made in the WCG thread Wednesday, I had honestly never seen the Reds fanbase so deflated as to Jocketty's preliminary comments that Baker would be back (which obviously now weren't true. Less than 10% of the fanbase here is supportive of Dusty, maybe less.

It's really a win-win situation for Jocketty and if they were underachieving next year he almost assuredly gets fired mid-season anyway. Now he alleviates the pressing fan/media pressure and there's 0 downside to starting with a fresh coaching staff since literally no one will question him on making the wrong decision for Baker if they don't succeed next year. Not to mention that it's simply the right decision for his team's success going forward.

Of course, now I have the good fortune of listening to everyone yelling about how Barry Larkin or Sean Casey should be the new manager all day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:43 pm 

Sh*t. Was really hoping we'd have him and Matheny managing against us going forward. Reds, depending on hire, are officially back to being terrifying. Even when pundits were lauding them for having the best talent on paper, you knew Dusty would do his best to squander it at every turn for us.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:19 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Reds, depending on hire, are officially back to being terrifying.

I don't know, I would have said that coming into this year about a hypothetical Dusty firing, but I think they took a considerable step backward this year. They have a lot of money locked up in existing contracts and I don't anticipate they'll realistically re-sign Choo and the 5.2 WAR he provided this year (and God forbid if they actually tried to outbid the Cubs/staying in NY to try to lure Girardi like Jocketty is mentioning). Hamilton is still a huge question mark as far as I'm concerned given the .308 OBP he put up in AAA this year. Phillips will still have a lot of value in his defense but this year could very well show that he's beginning to decline considerably. Cozart and Mesoraco have just proven to not be very good. I do expect Frazier to bounce back.

I think they'll be okay pitching wise with Cingrani replacing Arroyo and Stephenson in the wings, but due to all of the factors listed above and a lot of skepticism about Hamilton, this is the last I've feared them in a while. All that being said, would it shock me if they won the division with a few things going right? No. But they're certainly not my perennial division favorite like they have been the last few years.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:19 am 
 WWW  Profile

Am I in the wrong place? Is this a Reds board?

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:45 am 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:

What. Pirates fans can't talk about other teams?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:01 pm 

Shark,

I mostly agree, I think the Reds have about 2 years left of being big threats. I don't think their window is near as large as the Pirates' currently is.

The pitching staff is pretty young, and Jay Bruce is entering his prime years. I think that'll be enough to cancel out the decline of Phillips for a couple of years but he's definitely showing signs of being on the downside of his career. I think Votto has another 2-3 years of being one of the 2-3 best hitters in baseball, too. Once he goes, though, they're going to fall fast.

Will be interested to see where they go in the next couple years. They gutted the system a bit with trades, I wonder if they'll go the Brewers route or acknowledge that it's over and trade a guy like Latos or Bruce for a ton of prospects.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:43 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Sh*t. Was really hoping we'd have him and Matheny managing against us going forward. Reds, depending on hire, are officially back to being terrifying. Even when pundits were lauding them for having the best talent on paper, you knew Dusty would do his best to squander it at every turn for us.

I agree with Shark's analysis about the finer tunings of the Reds.

However, I do agree with you that with a more capable manager able to get the best out of what the Reds have (which is a lot) they will be formidable.

We'll have to see who they hire and how what tweaks they make to a roster that is (or was) WS-caliber.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

val wrote:
LetsGoMarauders wrote:

What. Pirates fans can't talk about other teams?

..of course but is all that was being talked about. I was getting worried

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:06 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
..of course but is all that was being talked about. I was getting worried

Well, it is a thread about their coach being fired.