Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And the BLAME goes to....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

1. AJ for sucking tonight
2. Hurdle for not pulling him out sooner to stop the bleeding
3. The entire offense which was offensive.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

Post subject: Re: And the BLAME goes to....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:04 pm 

Wainwright was spot on today.

Even without errors and AJ's bad start, beating an "on" Wainwright is a big hill to climb.

Let's just hope we can win 3 straight and not face him again in a game 5.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:41 am 

Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Listened on the radio. Anyway, what I gathered from Twitter was that Wainwright's curve was filthy tonight. There's a reason the dude was in the Cy Young conversation all season.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:35 am 

It was patently obvious that AJ was missing his spots by miles and was not on his game.
I was yelling "get him out of there" before they scored.
So, yes, I blame Clint.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 am 

You could see that AJ had no idea where his ball was going. Walking the pitcher was key. Should have had someone up right there.

AJ should have been out of there after 4 batters, 5 at the most. Instead he faced 8 and retired none.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:02 am 

Bertie wrote:
It was patently obvious that AJ was missing his spots by miles and was not on his game.
I was yelling "get him out of there" before they scored.
So, yes, I blame Clint.

The argument I made on Twitter, though, is sometimes you have to give a guy a chance to break out of his funk.

But, let's be honest - we were making errors all over the show. Sure, AJ's pitching was poor, but let's not forget the apparent inability to throw and catch.

You can't afford to make 3+ errors in a playoff game and get away with it. We knew STL would be getting runs on the board, so we should have been making sure we weren't gifting runs to them.

Sounds obvious, but I just feel against a team who's offense is hot - the primary target should be keeping it tight defensively.

That said - I find walking a batter when the bases are loaded as pretty blame-worthy suckiness.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:30 am 

Hopefully they don't blame anybody and get back to better ball. 6 walks, 3 errors. That's 1/3 of a game's worth of extra AB's for the Cards. You'll never win giving a team 36 outs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:52 am 

I'm not to worried about the errors other than the way Barmes played. Molina's base hit in the 2nd should've been a fairly easy catch for Barmes and the bad throw on the DP he had plenty of time. Might as well get Mercer in there if that's the way he's gonna play. My biggest beef with Hurdle was not getting Mercer in the game right when it got out of hand.

Byrd's error was a good throw that happened to hit their baserunner and Cutch's came when the score was 7 or 8 to 1. Both of those errors were on hits by the Cardinals so while they gave them extra bases, they didn't give them extra at-bats.

Burnett is solely to blame for this one, IMO. I thought Hurdle should've gotten him out of there after the Holliday double, but that's still a tough call not wanting to use too much of your bullpen wih the game today.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:55 pm 

Hurdle. He simply left AJ in to long. Having said that after the Beltran homerun I immediately thought of an up hill climb, a tough one.

Last time the bucs were in a playoff series they were defeated on the road by a large margin, memory not withstanding, I think it was 13 to 2.

Battle back bucs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:10 pm 

The way Wainwright was dealing, the game was pretty much over with Beltran's moon shot. Hurdle left A.J. in the game at least three batters too long, but it probably didn't matter.

For blame, I'd say 65% A.J., 15% Hurlde, and 20% team offense/defense.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:13 pm 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
I'm not to worried about the errors other than the way Barmes played. Molina's base hit in the 2nd should've been a fairly easy catch for Barmes and the bad throw on the DP he had plenty of time. Might as well get Mercer in there if that's the way he's gonna play. My biggest beef with Hurdle was not getting Mercer in the game right when it got out of hand.

Byrd's error was a good throw that happened to hit their baserunner and Cutch's came when the score was 7 or 8 to 1. Both of those errors were on hits by the Cardinals so while they gave them extra bases, they didn't give them extra at-bats.

Burnett is solely to blame for this one, IMO. I thought Hurdle should've gotten him out of there after the Holliday double, but that's still a tough call not wanting to use too much of your bullpen wih the game today.

Are you another one of these "save the bullpen" guys? Save them for what? So they're not tired when they're packing their bags to go home? It's a 5 game series with 2 off days in between. That was not the time to be worried about saving the bullpen.