Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "other" side of the equation - American League
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

We're AL Rays fans so I had to include a message about their Wild Card game -vs- Cleveland.
(we're NL Pirates fans)

Now I am a Rays fan when it comes to the AL, but I wondered if ANY of the Cleveland fans watched the Pirates game Tuesday at all?
They are playing the Rays at home, why not start chanting "Cobb...Cobb...Cobb.." and see if it worked to rattle him?

The Indians fans seemed to sit on their hands once the Rays got their 3-0 lead. No emotion or anything from the crowd. Cleveland's 10th man let them down big time. Again, I am a Rays AL fan so I am happy about the outcome, but they surely did NOT have the fans support they needed in that one.

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

Post subject: Re: The "other" side of the equation - American League
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:50 am 

I honestly don't think it's fair to compare ANY baseball crowd to Tuesday night's mob at PNC Park. It may never be duplicated. Even on Sunday when I return to the ballpark, I don't expect the energy level to be quite as high. I'll certainly do my best, but the first playoff game in Pittsburgh in 21 years felt unique.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:53 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Cleveland fans have, quite amazing to me, completely given up on the Indians since they dismantled after the, what, 2007 ALCS game? That was their 1992 moment for that team, and a rebuild was required. They told the fans this, but the fans did not accept it. My friends who are fans still go around saying the Tribe "promised" a WS win that year and they broke their promise when the lost in the ALCS.

They won't give the FO any credit for the rebuild.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:14 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Cleveland fans have, quite amazing to me, completely given up on the Indians since they dismantled after the, what, 2007 ALCS game? That was their 1992 moment for that team, and a rebuild was required. They told the fans this, but the fans did not accept it. My friends who are fans still go around saying the Tribe "promised" a WS win that year and they broke their promise when the lost in the ALCS.

They won't give the FO any credit for the rebuild.

ZM

Tribe attendence was also in the bottom 5 in the Majors. Terrible. I think they averaged like 19,000 a agame, which was worse than the Bucs did in some of their worst seasons at PNC.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:04 pm 

The crowd was in the game last night, for sure, just not at the level of PNC (not sure any stadium/city could replicate that---except NYC).

The problem was that every time the Indians got a rally going Cobb shut it down.

In the fourth he got out of that bases loaded jam and then in the fifth or sixth he wiggled out of two men on, too.

The crowd wanted to get more into it, but was nuetered.

In a related note, it was a pretty 'Joe cool' move of Maddon to let Cobb ride. The Rays pitching coach may have gone out there once in one of those jams, but Maddon clearly had confidence in his pitcher and it paid off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:08 pm 

I do not expect the Pirates faithful to let up. If they come into Game 3 1-1, it will be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:22 pm 

I was on the road Tuesday night and couldn't watch the game but did listen to it and I've never heard a baseball game that loud before. It had to be amazing to attend it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:08 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
In a related note, it was a pretty 'Joe cool' move of Maddon to let Cobb ride. The Rays pitching coach may have gone out there once in one of those jams, but Maddon clearly had confidence in his pitcher and it paid off.

Same with Price in the tiebreaker game against Texas.

Tampa is the AL team I want in the WS but Oakland would be a fine replacement. I do normally find myself rooting for the Leyland/McClendon/Lamont staff in the playoffs by default, but it will kind of be impossible to actually root for their rotation to dominate this year, just because it seems so probable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:20 pm 

TheShark wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Same with Price in the tiebreaker game against Texas.

Tampa is the AL team I want in the WS but Oakland would be a fine replacement. I do normally find myself rooting for the Leyland/McClendon/Lamont staff in the playoffs by default, but it will kind of be impossible to actually root for their rotation to dominate this year, just because it seems so probable.

My preseason prediction (or desire) was DET-OAK LCS. Looks like that's coming a round earlier.

Rays-DET/OAK would be a nice consolation.