Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Observations From The Wild Card Game
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:41 am 

Just got home. Before I read any other posts from the game, let me tell you all what I saw and heard.

The first thing anyone would notice and have to mention was the crowd! SIMPLY AMAZING! I have been to hundreds of Pirate games over the past 40 years, but this was my first playoff game. It was unbelievable, the most electric crowd I have ever seen. From the record numbers, to the jolly roger flags waving, to the chants of CUEEEEEEEEETO....which really seemed to rattle him, so much so that he dropped the ball at one point! I guess the combination of the love for this year's team, combined with the 20 year wait, the disappointment of the Pens in the Stanley Cup playoffs last year, and the Steelers 0-4 start. Oh, yeah, and the announcers making fun of Pittsburgh for not selling out TRS the last time we were in the playoffs. It all came to a head tonight. Pirate fans were not going to be denied.

Second, the introductions. Loved the crowd's reaction to all the player introductions and glad they included guys like Karstens, the Fort, and Wandy. These guys are part of the team and deserving of the acknowledgement. I also felt a little bad for James McDonald and Alex Presley, who did make SOME contribution to this team.

I think of how far this team has come, with contributions for everybody. Strong starting pitching. Strong pen. Good lineup. Good bench. I think of some young guys who have had bit roles, but have made some really important contributions, Cumpton, Johnson, and eid.I think of how far this team has come when I throw a few forgettable names out there...John McDonald, Brandon Inge, Jonathan Sanchez, Jose Contreras, Chris Laroux, and Mike Zagurski. Am I forgetting anyone forgettable??

I notice Liriano getting out of the first inning on 8 pitches and thinking this was going to be a special night.

This was a damn near perfect game from the Bucs. Pitching. Offense. Defense.

I even have some love for Justin Morneau who made a great base-running play in the 4th which led to a run. Knowing what a hot dog that Phillips is, and that he loves to tag guys out, Morneau stopped dead in his tracks on an easy DP ball to Phillips. Phillips looked up and saw him, causing him to bobble the ball and only get one out, allowing the run to score. Smart base-running by Morneau.

And finally, glad to see Grilli pitch the 9th even though it was not a save situation. I thought the either he or Melancon deserved to be on the mound when we clinched the win. Love the interaction between Grilli and Martin too.

And in the end, the crowd was amazing. I have never seen the crowd stay until the end and even long after the game was over. This one goes into my books as one of my most memorable days of all time, ranking right up there behind the birth of my kids!

I loved watching the players celebrate and Hurdle too. This team seems to really love each other, which makes them more fun to watch!

Keep it going Bucs! I cannot wait till Sunday!

Post subject: Re: My Observations From The Wild Card Game
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 am 

Your first-hand report mirrors exactly what I was seeing, Animal. I was awed by the Pirates crowd.

Speaking of which, check out this Keri tweet:

Jonah Keri ✔ @jonahkeri

Reds clearly need to confuse chanting Pirates fans by bringing in little-used reliever Eliezer Cooperberg-Shlomovitz.

6:26 PM - 1 Oct 2013

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:07 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Your first-hand report mirrors exactly what I was seeing, Animal. I was awed by the Pirates crowd.

Jonah Keri ✔ @jonahkeri

Reds clearly need to confuse chanting Pirates fans by bringing in little-used reliever Eliezer Cooperberg-Shlomovitz.

Great tweet!

Oh, and one more thing...something that does not happen all the times at games, I thoroughly enjoyed EVERY FAN sitting around me. Now, I could do without the hugs the young men beside me wanted, but the rest was all good!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm 

Animal wrote:
I even have some love for Justin Morneau who made a great base-running play in the 4th which led to a run. Knowing what a hot dog that Phillips is, and that he loves to tag guys out, Morneau stopped dead in his tracks on an easy DP ball to Phillips. Phillips looked up and saw him, causing him to bobble the ball and only get one out, allowing the run to score. Smart base-running by Morneau.

A-ha!

That would explain it.

Excellent observation.

Also, let the record show that GFJ would not have done that. ;) :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:48 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:

Jonah Keri ✔ @jonahkeri

COOOOOOPEEEERRRRRRR

COOOOOOPEEEERRRRRRR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:35 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Animal wrote:

A-ha!

That would explain it.

Excellent observation.

Also, let the record show that GFJ would not have done that. ;) :D

Now I didnt say THAT!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:39 am 

great stuff, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 am 

Animal wrote:
And in the end, the crowd was amazing. I have never seen the crowd stay until the end and even long after the game was over. This one goes into my books as one of my most memorable days of all time, ranking right up there behind the birth of my kids!

I couldn't agree more. I tried to explain to folks here at work, but they just couldn't understand. NOBODY wanted to leave the ballpark. The team was gone, the music was done, the fireworks were over... and nobody left! When we did finally leave, it took about 30 minutes to get to the car, but it was so much fun after the game with everyone cheering, hugging, singing, taking pictures, and just enjoying themselves all the way outside of the park.

Truly a magical night, and I've been to the 79 World Series, the 90 playoffs, the 91 playoffs, the 92 playoffs, and the 96 All Star Game. NOTHING can compare to that experience Tuesday night.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:22 am 

Great stuff, Animal.

I was sitting next to a dude named Paul from Washington, PA, and he was hilarious. In the second inning, I turned to him after the Byrd homer and told him Cueto was rattled. I noted that Cueto's usually a fast worker, and he appeared to be slowing down. After Pedro absolutely scorched that line drive to center, I said: "If Cueto throws a middle fastball to Martin, we'll see it fly into the left field bleachers." Three pitches and one dropped ball later, I was Nostra-effing-damus. For my predictive abilities, Paul bought me a beer.

What a night in Pittsburgh...