Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates Sign Craig Monroe and Miguel Perez
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:10 pm 

Argentum wrote:
LOL. Slap, that is my favorite post of the short year so far. And I'm pretty sure you're partly serious..........

Now if we can only find a way to get Monroe an AB against Runelvys Hernandez, at Tropicana Field, in August, as a PH batting for our 4th hitter, working the count to 3-0, with men on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs, in the 10th or later inning, on a ball lined to the OF, at night in a tie game,............. we'll still lose because Hansen will walk 6 in the bottom half of the inning.

:)

What can I say? I'm bored at work. :lol:

And, yes, I am partly serious. If Monroe's on the roster and not starting every game the Pirates face Kyle Lohse or Joe Blanton, I'll be steamed.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: Pirates Sign Craig Monroe and Miguel Perez
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:58 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
I'm a big supporter of Pearce, but why does Craig Monroe make more sense than a 25 year old who has nothing left to prove at AAA?

Pearce has nothing to prove in AAA?

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pl ... ?pid=11100

Steve Pearce did nothing in AAA last year. All he has going for him is 34 games two years ago.

[quote}Craig Monroe hasn't had an OPS+ above 100 since 2005, and last year hit .202/.274/.405 after hitting .219 the year before. He will now be turning 32. I would say he is only going to continue to get worse, while Pearce has a chance to improve.

Meanwhile, Pearce's stats over his past two stints in the major leagues are .266/.313/412--Numbers which are better than Monroe's past two years with the fact that Pearce is younger and you can hope for him to improve, and expect him to not play worse.[/quote]
All the more reason to have Pearce getting ABs in AAA, rather than starting one game a week with the big club.