Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates Sign Craig Monroe and Miguel Perez
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:56 pm 

They signed them to Minor League Deals...

Quote:
The Pirates today signed outfielder Craig Monroe and catcher Miguel Perez to minor league contracts with invitations to spring training.

Monroe, who will turn 31 next month, has a .253 career average and 112 home runs over eight seasons in Major League Baseball, including a .202 average, eight home runs and 29 RBIs in 2008 with the Minnesota Twins. He has topped 20 home runs in the majors three times -- 2003, 2005 and 2006 -- all with the Detroit Tigers.

Perez, 25, spent all of last season with the Pirates' Class AA affiliate in Altoona and batted .281 with two home runs and 22 RBIs. Defensively, he threw out 15 of 40 runners trying to steal. He spent two games in the majors in 2005 with the Cincinnati Reds and has played 23 total games above the Class AA level.

There now are 14 non-roster invitees.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09013/941450-100.stm

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Pirates Sign Craig Monroe and Miguel Perez
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:01 pm 

Neither one makes the 25 man roster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 pm 

cheapo righty semi-power bat = quality signing for peanuts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:13 pm 

A few threads ago I predicted that Emil Brown would be the right handed power bat the Bucs would sign. At the time, I thought I was setting the bar low enough, in accordance with our current front office attitudes. Little did I know I was actually setting the bar too high. Wow, could Monroe actually be the right handed power bat we sign this off season? Pretty funny. Ive said on other threads that until we're contenders theres no point in spending real money on big name band aids, nor would they come to Pittsburgh if other options presented themselves. But IF Monroe turns out to be that right handed power bat Huntington's been talking about, my question would be; do we have to go out of our way to be so very terrible, to take terrible and turn it into an art form?

Please spare me the "low risk" speech, or the "its just a minor league deal" argument. If thats all this is then fine, Im all for it. But if hes not a spacefiller, if NH is satisfied that now, between Monroe and Pearce, his hunt for that right handed power bat is complete, then Im a little nauseous. You can take practicality too far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:15 pm 

What a joke! Helloooooooooooooooooooooo.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:17 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

What were your thoughts, if any, regarding the Rays signing of Pena a few years ago?

You assume Monroe is done. NH has said he is looking for a "bounce back" guy. Like Pena, Monroe fits that mold, possibly. And under a minor league contract, who cares?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:19 pm 

This is a pretty much whatever deal. I don't expect Monroe to do anything other than maybe come up for 20 AB to fill in for injury in June.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:20 pm 

Even if Monroe doesnt make the team and he accepts a spot in Indy, he helps fill out the roster and if an injury arises can be the 1st to be called up and not waste McCutchen's option...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:29 pm 

Maybe I just dont understand the terminology, but in my mind, when I hear the term "bounce back candidate", it means a guy who was good once and had an off year or two. In 2008, Bay was a bounce back candidate. To me, "bounce back" doesnt mean bouncing back from embarrassing to merely awful. A guy who has always sucked has nothing to bounce back to. And at 31 years old, in a platoon situation vs lefties at best (he hit .138 vs lefties last year, btw), I think his time for taking his game to the next level is well behind him.

Last edited by Kingston on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:33 pm 

I'm really, really trying to stay positive and trust Huntington's grand scheme of things. But man, are signings like this really going to put butts in the seats and help add revenue for the future?

Not likely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
I'm really, really trying to stay positive and trust Huntington's grand scheme of things. But man, are signings like this really going to put butts in the seats and help add revenue for the future?

Not likely.

This is the same type of deal he gave Rivas, and Thompson lastseason...This is not a longterm deal and this isn't the key signing to turn the franchise around...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 pm 

My point is, don't be surprised if attendance is down this year. We haven't changed anything from last year's losing team and if we start sucking again, why would people come out to watch the same guys suck that sucked last year?

New faces at least make the average fan a bit more interested in bringing the family to the ballpark, thus adding to the revenue that this organization so desperately needs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 pm 

It's a minor league deal so getting worked up over it is futile. Monroe is a really bad hitter, unless of course I'm missing something and increasing your strikeouts while at the same time decreasing your walks is now considered a positive. That's usually an indication that death is looking for a big kiss.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:47 pm 

Wow, i could have sworn that in my previous post I was pretty darn clear that the "its just a minor league deal" argument is fine and not my concern. The concern is if Huntington is now satisfied hes found his right handed power bat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:50 pm 

Well, unless you know Huntington personally, you're probably not going to get an answer to that question. I consider it rhetorical.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:50 pm 

I agree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Well, unless you know Huntington personally, you're probably not going to get an answer to that question. I consider it rhetorical.

Huh? Of course we're gonna get an answer to that question. If he doesnt make an offer to anyone else between now and opening day then hes satisfied.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:53 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
My point is, don't be surprised if attendance is down this year. We haven't changed anything from last year's losing team and if we start sucking again, why would people come out to watch the same guys suck that sucked last year?

New faces at least make the average fan a bit more interested in bringing the family to the ballpark, thus adding to the revenue that this organization so desperately needs.

Attendance was going to be down regardless, because it seems it doesnt matter what the organization does some fans will criticize them no matter what, because people are too concerned about this consecutive losing streak number...its just a freaking number!!! This team is a year or two from being competitive and the losing will continue for a little bit because of stupidity of Dave Littlefield and McClatchy, not Huntington and Nutting!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:56 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Huh? Of course we're gonna get an answer to that question. If he doesnt make an offer to anyone else between now and opening day then hes satisfied.

It doesnt mean he's satisfied, it means he wasnt able to talk someone into signing here, which has been tough to do...I'm personally for letting Pearce see what he can do with regular at bats in the OF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:57 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

It doesnt mean he's satisfied, it means he wasnt able to talk someone into signing here, which has been tough to do...I'm personally for letting Pearce see what he can do with regular at bats in the OF

I said if he doesnt make an offer, not if he can convince someone to sign.