Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The real question that should be being asked
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:00 am 

That question is who do you think we will be trading away this year at the mid-season point.

I say if LaRoche has a good first half hes gonna be traded right away and grabow if we can find anybody that would want him cause it is his contract year and he more than likey won't be resigning.

Post subject: Re: The real question that should be being asked
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:22 am 
 WWW  Profile

I agree with LaRoche...I feel like he's the last piece of the old regime that management would like to move. Of course you are losing more power and a given .280 hitter with 20-25 HRs. I can see him starting off hot, then fans becoming very upset about him being traded when he has 15 HRs by the deadline.

As for Grabow why would you want to give up the top Jewish pitcher of 2008? Plus, I feel like that we need to keep a good lefty in the pen. I say sign Grabow after this year...it's almost a must in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 am 

Sanchez is my #1 candidate for moving if he is healthy and having a good season. This guy is someone I think teams will be very interested in if he is healthy and performaing up to his standards. Let's just hope he can pull it togather and show some spark he had before playing injured all last year.

If I was management, I would tell Jack Wilson to put up or shutup. If he does not think we are doing enough to win, now is his chance to show the rest of league what he can do. He could be moved to a contender where he can play meaningful games...all he has to do is hit well and display some standard jack-like defense. If he even approaches .290 with decent at bats, his value will rise and maybe we can get something in exchange for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm 

cappscrew138 wrote:
I can see [Adam LaRoche] starting off hot, then fans becoming very upset about him being traded when he has 15 HRs by the deadline.

I am quite certain this is the first time this sentiment has been expressed regarding Adam LaRoche. ;)

I asked this around the trade deadline last year. It's tough to gauge LaRoche's true value when he's so clearly a second-half performer (.975 second-half OPS in 2008; .907 for his career). On the one hand, he's primed and good-to-go for a contender in need of a bat for the stretch run; on the other, I don't see opposing GMs being too willing to part with much for a guy who needs at least 6 weeks worth of plate appearances to figure out that the season is under way.

I don't foresee much of a market for Jack or Freddie either unless a middle infielder on a contending team hits the 60 day DL. Jack's contract is no bargain, especially in this market. Freddie is on the verge of being written off as a fluke, if he's not officially one already, and an oft-injured fluke at that.

That leaves Grabow and Capps and maybe Maholm or Snell as my four main candidates for deadline tradebait.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm 

"I say if LaRoche has a good first half"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 pm 

I didn't put freddy on my list because i don't think he will even make it as a pirate to mid-season.If we can we should move him before the season.Even if its for $50 and a bag of balls

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:12 am 

Why Colin? Sheesh!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:44 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Why Colin? Sheesh!

Yeah i am probably thinking we can get too much for Freddy.We aren't getting $50 we should just try for that bag of balls.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:49 am 

No, why get rid of him? He found his groove the second half and is reportedly healthy for 2009. We don't have a better alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
No, why get rid of him? He found his groove the second half and is reportedly healthy for 2009. We don't have a better alternative.

We will soon. Freddy is a one-trick-pony on the wrong side of 30 that has had injury issues. He may be sufficient for next year, but he's declining quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:19 pm 

I must respectfully disagree. Being a contact hitter, he has the kind of swing that could give him some longevity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:21 pm 

Willton wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

We will soon. Freddy is a one-trick-pony on the wrong side of 30 that has had injury issues. He may be sufficient for next year, but he's declining quickly.

Exactly. Maybe we can ship him to a contender if he is hitting. I would think he might be attractive to a contender making a run. He is at the very least a quality bench player for infield use by a decent team.

Everyone's point about Morgan is good too. Start him for a while, if he is getting it done and has fixed his oversliding issue, maybe he will become a tradeable asset. If he can get on base and turn that into a nice amount of steals, he might be coveted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I must respectfully disagree. Being a contact hitter, he has the kind of swing that could give him some longevity.

A contact hitter whose only skill is hitting for contact better hope to God that his skill in that department does not decline. Otherwise his value as a hitter torpedoes. See Mark Loretta.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm 

Willton wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

A contact hitter whose only skill is hitting for contact better hope to God that his skill in that department does not decline. Otherwise his value as a hitter torpedoes. See Mark Loretta.

Thats what i'm thinking.I think his skills are on the decline and we should try to trade him before the season so we could get something for him before he is worthless.Unless it has already come to the worthless point then we should just keep it.If he isn't traded before the season i would say its because he has no value.cause if we could get any value for him i think they would trade him in a second

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:24 am 

Willton wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Seems to be a little more than a contact hitter with 53,42 and 26(injury plagued) doubles in '06,'07, and '08 respectively.

Any kind of shoulder discomfort affects literally the whole upper torso. Take it from me a 12 year vet of beach volleyball.

With his return to health (which I am not totally sold on) we should see a return to form of Freddy. The only thing he must work on is his patience at the plate. An average of 30 BB's per season doesn't help the team from the 2 spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 am 

Freddy avoids free passes like the plague. If he is going to hit near the top of the order, he's going to have to hit well above .300 to be of any value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:04 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
The only thing he must work on is his patience at the plate. An average of 30 BB's per season doesn't help the team from the 2 spot.

Plate discipline generally isn't a skill that players acquire after the age of 30. They either have it or they don't by that point.

The best case scenario for Freddie is for him to have a good enough rebound that he qualifies as a Type B or Type A free agent, then let him walk for supplemental picks. I really don't think we'll get a better return for him in trade.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:16 pm 

Id say Freddy has a good shot at another All Star selection because of the Someones Gotta Go Rule. I dont see us sending a pitcher. McLouth? Maybe, but tough. Doumit might have the best shot. But after that, if Freddy can stay healthy and hit over .300, he might get lucky and back into being a 2 Time All Star.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:29 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
The only thing he must work on is his patience at the plate. An average of 30 BB's per season doesn't help the team from the 2 spot.

Plate discipline generally isn't a skill that players acquire after the age of 30. They either have it or they don't by that point.

The best case scenario for Freddie is for him to have a good enough rebound that he qualifies as a Type B or Type A free agent, then let him walk for supplemental picks. I really don't think we'll get a better return for him in trade.

That requires the Pirates offer him arbitration. I'm not so sure the Pirates should do so, as he'll likely accept arbitration if it's offered. The decision to offer arbitration will likely hinge on Sanchez's performance this season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:03 pm 

Willton wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

That requires the Pirates offer him arbitration. I'm not so sure the Pirates should do so, as he'll likely accept arbitration if it's offered. The decision to offer arbitration will likely hinge on Sanchez's performance this season.

That contract site Bob gave the link to the other day(http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/)...It says Freddy's 2010 club option guaranteed with 635 PAs in 2009 or 600 PAs and All Star selection in 2009

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...