Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baseball America: Pirates interested in Jose Abreu?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:14 pm 

Nothing in the article suggests that the author, Ben Badler of Baseball America, has information from any of the organizations listed, and this may be nothing more than speculative filler, but he posits that the Pirates are one of five teams who could be interested in Cuban slugger, Jose Abreu.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internat ... ose-abreu/

I knew this would make J_C's day.

Post subject: Re: Baseball America: Pirates interested in Jose Abreu?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:24 pm 

It did give me a smile, Bucfan. Travis Sawchik of the Trib also mentioned it in his long "notes" column today:

http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/201 ... ose-abreu/

Man, I would really love to see the Pirates sign Abreu and non-tender Garrett Jones (set to make ~$6 million in arbitration) and Gaby Sanchez (set to make ~$4 million in arbitration). If the Pirates get him for, say, 4 years and $40 million, it's a wash for 2014 because the team would have been paying the Jones/Sanchez platoon about $10 million anyway.

Why not roll the dice with a 26-year-old Cuban with plus-plus power?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I think I'd keep Gaby if I could.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:26 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
It did give me a smile, Bucfan. Travis Sawchik of the Trib also mentioned it in his long "notes" column today:

Man, I would really love to see the Pirates sign Abreu and non-tender Garrett Jones (set to make ~$6 million in arbitration) and Gaby Sanchez (set to make ~$4 million in arbitration). If the Pirates get him for, say, 4 years and $40 million, it's a wash for 2014 because the team would have been paying the Jones/Sanchez platoon about $10 million anyway.

I'm in on this guy too but I don't see $10 mil/year for 4 years getting it done. Cubans are no longer undervalued, I'll bet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:27 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

I don't know if he's worth $4 million. But if the Bucs don't nab Abreu or, say, Kendrys Morales, they'll probably bring Gaby back.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:28 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I'm in on this guy too but I don't see $10 mil/year for 4 years getting it done. Cubans are no longer undervalued, I'll bet.

We'll see. If someone goes crazy and offers him $60 million for 4 years, I won't complain about the Pirates not signing him. If I'm the Bucs, I'd probably go as high as 4 years and $48-50 million if their scouts/analytics folks believe in Abreu's bat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:27 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

I don't know if he's worth $4 million. But if the Bucs don't nab Abreu or, say, Kendrys Morales, they'll probably bring Gaby back.

Those are my top two targets, too, J_C. They won't need Gaby if they get Abreu (both RH). Maybe Dickerson can make the jump and provide a breather for Abreu. THinking way ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:25 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Maybe because you actually intend to compete next year? Maybe because there a lot of scouts out there who have serious doubts about his ability to hit major league pitching?

I've got no problem with signing him. I have a problem about making a large dollar long term commitment to him, because that is the one thing that this team cannot afford to miss on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:27 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
We'll see. If someone goes crazy and offers him $60 million for 4 years, I won't complain about the Pirates not signing him. If I'm the Bucs, I'd probably go as high as 4 years and $48-50 million if their scouts/analytics folks believe in Abreu's bat.

And how are you supposed to know what their scouts/analytics folks think?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:21 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Are you familiar with the word "if"? I used it there. Try to pay attention.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:22 pm 

Last I checked this is still a Pirate payroll. Lets hope they can convince Burnett and Morneau to come back. Morales and Abreu? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:26 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Are you familiar with the word "if"? I used it there. Try to pay attention.

So if they don't go 4/$48M, is it because they're cheap or because their scouts/analytics guys don't believe in him?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:32 pm 

Ben Badler is exceptional with this stuff. His Twitter is an outstanding follow for Abreu tidbits.

Still think he's not a sure enough thing to throw a ton of money at no matter what but if the Pirates like him they should go for it. It is going to come down to the Pirates though given the question marks and lack of any possible value outside of the bat.

I liked seeing them listed, but with amateurs the scouts will always play a bigger role than the numbers guys due to projection. If he puts up those numbers in MLB, it's obviously a no brainer to pursue him aggressively with an 8 figure deal. Cuban ball is pretty much AA level though. Not a sure thing that it'll translate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:29 am 

sisyphus wrote:
So if they don't go 4/$48M, is it because they're cheap or because their scouts/analytics guys don't believe in him?

Unless Frank Coonelly decides to accidentally dial my number while he's been drinking, I doubt I'll know for sure. But if the Pirates are involved in the bidding, it's likely that someone in the front office will talk about their view of Abreu and the kind of offer they were willing to make. Remember when we heard about the Pirates' 3-year, $30 million offer to Edwin Jackson?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:33 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Ben Badler is exceptional with this stuff. His Twitter is an outstanding follow for Abreu tidbits.

Still think he's not a sure enough thing to throw a ton of money at no matter what but if the Pirates like him they should go for it. It is going to come down to the Pirates though given the question marks and lack of any possible value outside of the bat.

I liked seeing them listed, but with amateurs the scouts will always play a bigger role than the numbers guys due to projection. If he puts up those numbers in MLB, it's obviously a no brainer to pursue him aggressively with an 8 figure deal. Cuban ball is pretty much AA level though. Not a sure thing that it'll translate.

Well, Cespedes and Puig help in terms of hitting comps.

And like I said, the Pirates can definitely free up cash if they non-tender Jones and Gaby Sanchez. Somebody's gotta start at first base. I really like Kendrys Morales, but I'm hearing that his defense is utterly awful (while scouts say Abreu should be at least average on the bag).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:00 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
And like I said, the Pirates can definitely free up cash if they non-tender Jones and Gaby Sanchez. Somebody's gotta start at first base. I really like Kendrys Morales, but I'm hearing that his defense is utterly awful (while scouts say Abreu should be at least average on the bag).

Is James Loney slated to be a UFA or do the Rays have an option on him?

It's not like NH to pursue a player at peak value, but...