Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: top 3 regular season games
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:07 pm 

name your three favorite...
mine are...

3. the sunday afternoon game at pnc against the brewers in which martin hits the game winner in extras after gaby sanchez steals second base with one out. That was the game that had a long rain delay to start and our bullpen pitched something like 12 innings of shutout baseball.

2. the early sunday afternoon game where mckennry went nuts hitting 2 home runs and helping us come back from a 4 run defecit only to take the lead in the 8th and close it in the ninth.

1. the sunday afternoon in anaheim, wacky, wacky, wacky..we were down by 4 headed into the ninth and we tie it and then take the lead and grilli almost blows the 4 run lead but strikes out trout with the bases loaded and two outs.

the detroit game in which walker hits the homer in the 14th is also a top game along with many others, but those were my 3 favorites, until I realize I forgot one or two that yinz remind me about..

my favorite win will be in late october!!

Post subject: Re: top 3 regular season games
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:20 pm 

batterup wrote:
1. the sunday afternoon in anaheim, wacky, wacky, wacky..we were down by 4 headed into the ninth and we tie it and then take the lead and grilli almost blows the 4 run lead but strikes out trout with the bases loaded and two outs.

My favorite as well, not even close. Bucfan, Az, and Corsair were all present, for one.

As to the details ... the Buccos were down 3 entering the 9th, tied it, scored 4 top 10th, Grilli gives up 3 and has runners on 2nd and 3rd with two out when he fans Trout on a nasty slider.

No. 2 for me is the extra-inning game against the Tigers with the Walker HR.

No. 3 is the playoff clinching game against the Cubs, where Marte hits the 9th inning game-winner.

Honorable Mention: The Cumpton 7 IP, 0 R's allowed domination of the Cardinals. The Cardinals looked like they wanted nothing more than to get the hell out of Pittsburgh. Also, the Snider HR game vs. the Brewers for number 81.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:26 pm 

The first game of the home double-header against the Cardinals where Cutch made that great grab in the first inning with two men on and two out to rob the Cards of a couple of runs and save A.J.'s bacon. That's on my list.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:33 pm 

your right bucfan, my bad, we were down by 3 heading into the 9th at anaheim not 4..

i went to the doubleheader against the cardinals in July, that first game was outstanding, pressley got that weak little tapper between the SS and 2B and we walked off in grand fasion, funny thing about the night game was that the atmosphere was not as electric, it seemed everyone was tired from game one and game two was just icing on the cake, we wound up destroying them in game two thanks in large part to holladays defense in right field, or lack there of.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:00 pm 

Sunday, April 14th when we beat the Reds 10-7 to finish the sweep. Phil Irwin spotted the Reds a 5-0 lead, but we kept clawing back. The Fort hit 2 homeruns, and Travis Snider had a HR that was ruled a double off the Clemente Wall after review. The Bucs scored all 10 runs in their final two at-bats (7th and 8th inning). And the BEST thing of all was that the giveaway was a Jolly Roger Flag. I've been flying it all season long. Here's a picture taken that day with my wife and daughter after we had won:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:37 pm 

A few that immediately jumped to mind that haven't been mentioned (maybe not as drama-filled, but memorable for me) ...

- Gerrit Cole out-dueling Yu Darvish in Texas. (Cole's debut with the electric crowd as well)

- This past Saturday, home field for the WCG on the line after taking the first game in Cincy Friday night, and promptly sending Bronson Arroyo into oblivion by exposing Great American Smallpark with 6 HRs.

- 12-8 in San Francisco, where the offense had a particularly memorable day (first four in the line-up combined for 13 hits).

- Win no. 81 in Milwuakee in which the Brewers tied it in the 9th, but after being lost for the last 5 months, Travis Snider immediately followed with the go-ahead HR in the 10th. (Edit: Bucfan mentioned this one)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:48 pm 

TheShark wrote:
- Gerrit Cole out-dueling Yu Darvish in Texas. (Cole's debut with the electric crowd as well)

Good one.

Day game, did not see it apart from highlights, so forgot about the game.

Wow, the Pirates have won so many entertaining games that our guy Cole outdueling Darvish in Texas slipped my memory. :o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Cole's debut was a top game for me, just because of all the anticipation that had built up to it and the positive result. Two more that jump to mind have to be the game against the Angels that everyone is talking about along with perhaps the first game of the doubleheader against St. Louis.

Two that would be up for debate if they were wins would be I believe the meltdown loss to the Reds last week and the Snider pinch-hit HR game against LA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:30 pm 

Wow. Tough to narrow it down.

The Cole debut stands out.

The Tigers series does, too (I recall there being a multi-homer game; bragged to my Tiger fan buddy after that one).

The M's game where they hit like six HRs was also pretty fantastic.

Being at the second game of the season, when the temperatures dipped to the 40's as the night went on, is a memorable one since I haven't been so voluntary cold ever before.

The Astros error win.

Any of the St. Louis or Reds wins which took a series, padded a Bucs lead or gave them the division lead.

Man, just three? Really? :D