Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JC Steel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:55 am 

What a super contribution your thread on articles is for me the average fan with very average knowledge of the inside theories of the game.. I would say that your recent posting which included two (yes two) links to articles is more than enough reason to read this site. Not only are they enjoyable reads the very much improve my understanding of the over-all approach to team development.

The Pirates look like they have taken a very specific strategy of defense, picking up certain types of players, and pitching styles to get to where they are. I had been crediting their drafting and development as the only real reason for this year's success but now see that it is a much more detailed approach that has made the difference. It's not just the development of Cutch, Walker, Alverez, Cole but the other experienced guys who fit their desired type of player.

Just wanted to single you out for bringing this to all of us. Many others on this board impress me and help my understanding, like Bucfan, but this thread linking DAVE CAMERON and TIM WILLIAMS articles is great.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: JC Steel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

Aw, shucks. I just link to what I read. The guys who write those articles -- Travis Sawchik, Tim Williams, James Santelli, Dave Cameron -- they're the guys you should thank. I actually do thank them on Twitter, not that it matters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 pm 

Yes, good on JC.

Once again the lack of a 'Thanks' button proves criminal.

---

As for those who enjoy in depth analysis, mosey on over to USS Mariner.

They're mostly Mariner-centric, but Jeff Sullivan and Dave Cameron (who contribute to Fan Graphs, ESPN and other sites) do all sorts of fun, interesting and thought-provoking stuff. Sometimes it's nearly as good as that Williams piece, most times it's still better than what you'll find in the mainstream.

There's also a familiar level of fan loathing that any Pirates fan over the last 20 years can appreciate and/or empathize with. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:
Yes, good on JC.

Once again the lack of a 'Thanks' button proves criminal.

---

As for those who enjoy in depth analysis, mosey on over to USS Mariner.

They're mostly Mariner-centric, but Jeff Sullivan and Dave Cameron (who contribute to Fan Graphs, ESPN and other sites) do all sorts of fun, interesting and thought-provoking stuff. Sometimes it's nearly as good as that Williams piece, most times it's still better than what you'll find in the mainstream.

There's also a familiar level of fan loathing that any Pirates fan over the last 20 years can appreciate and/or empathize with. :D

I tried to look at the Thanks button code for the admins. It would take me 15 years to implement. Which, I guess, is on par for our part of the world.....