Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Really Matters
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:13 am 

I know there many members here on our Board that disagree with Selig vehemently and also how the Wild Card situation is set up currently in MLB.

I'll leave the Selig controversy to another day. And, while I wish the Wild Card playoff would be structured differently (more games instead of one game), I DO like the second Wild Card Spot.

Why?

It's a VERY long season and there are more than three teams in each league that deserve the chance to move on to be in the playoffs...IMHO.

I view the Pirates situation battling for first place in the NL Central and their position now as squarely on the shoulders of the Pirates. They lost three games in St Louis. They were swept in Colorado. They lost 2 of 3 against the Reds at PNC. And, in the meantime, the Cards kept winning.

The Pirates have no one to blame but themselves about where they are at right now...BUT!...they are IN THE PLAYOFFS! I give much credit to the second Wild Card spot for that. AND...it's what the Bucs do in the playoffs that really matters at this point.

Beat the Reds this weekend...get the Wild Card playoff game to come to PNC and WIN that game. Even if the Wild Card playoff game ends up at GABP, the Bucs control their own destiny. WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS! That's what really matters!

Post subject: Re: What Really Matters
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:24 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
I know there many members here on our Board that disagree with Selig vehemently and also how the Wild Card situation is set up currently in MLB.

I'll leave the Selig controversy to another day. And, while I wish the Wild Card playoff would be structured differently (more games instead of one game), I DO like the second Wild Card Spot.

Why?

It's a VERY long season and there are more than three teams in each league that deserve the chance to move on to be in the playoffs...IMHO.

I view the Pirates situation battling for first place in the NL Central and their position now as squarely on the shoulders of the Pirates. They lost three games in St Louis. They were swept in Colorado. They lost 2 of 3 against the Reds at PNC. And, in the meantime, the Cards kept winning.

The Pirates have no one to blame but themselves about where they are at right now...BUT!...they are IN THE PLAYOFFS! I give much credit to the second Wild Card spot for that. AND...it's what the Bucs do in the playoffs that really matters at this point.

Beat the Reds this weekend...get the Wild Card playoff game to come to PNC and WIN that game. Even if the Wild Card playoff game ends up at GABP, the Bucs control their own destiny. WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS! That's what really matters!

I agree with you 100% BD. It is a long season and a lot of there are so many teams. It's not watered-down like hockey or football. Perhaps it's just our age showing in remembering those classic showdowns with the Phillies in the 70's when it came down to the end, and despite one of the better records in all of baseball, the Bucs went home when they could not take the East from the Phils.

Three games would be better, but that's too long make the other teams wait and not play.

It IS the playoffs, and although I don't like one game, you win and go on, you lose and go home!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 pm 

Thank you Animal...and...while listening to Vinnie and Cook on KDKA the Fan 93.7 FM this morning, they also made a this good point:

Before there was a second Wild Card spot...if the Pirates go on and (heaven forbid!) lose all three games against the Reds this weekend, this season would be over. That would suck. Vinnie and Cook went on to say any MLB manager in that position would take a one game playoff situation any day instead of going home and waiting for next season.

Anything can happen with the rest of these games this season. True, it will decide which park hosts the one-game playoff. But what really matters is that the Pirates are IN the Playoffs. Win there Buccos. I'll take my chances with the Pirates at PNC or even at GABP.

GO BUCS!!!!

Last edited by bassoondirector on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:24 pm 

Wonder what these young 'ens would have thought of the 70's BD?? One league. Two divisions. Two playoff teams!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:28 pm 

Animal wrote:
Wonder what these young 'ens would have thought of the 70's BD?? One league. Two divisions. Two playoff teams!

Amazing isn't Animal how MLB has evolved! And in my humble opinion it still needs some major updating! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:49 pm 

Animal wrote:

Or how about pre-69 (which some of us on here fondly remember)...Two Leagues. Two League Champions play in the WS. No Playoffs....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Animal wrote:

Or how about pre-69 (which some of us on here fondly remember)...Two Leagues. Two League Champions play in the WS. No Playoffs....

I remember those days Scrap Iron. Of course, there were less teams then...but still? Crazy when you think about it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:59 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Animal wrote:

I don't remember that.. My first recollection is the '71 season.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:03 pm 

Animal wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:
Animal wrote:

I don't remember that.. My first recollection is the '71 season.

A great first season to remember!

Although - you did miss out on the magic that was the Jim Pagliaroni years..... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:09 pm 

I remember being in 3rd grade and getting in trouble for trying to hide a transistor radio and earpiece listening to the series! That's another thing, prior to '71, all day games in playoffs and WS. Bucs had first series night game in '71 at 3RS.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:32 pm 

Animal wrote:
I remember being in 3rd grade and getting in trouble for trying to hide a transistor radio and earpiece listening to the series! That's another thing, prior to '71, all day games in playoffs and WS. Bucs had first series night game in '71 at 3RS.

Yep - I remember if the potential deciding game was on a school day the teacher would wheel in the tv set towards the end of the day and we would watch a few innings. The games went by so much faster then that we sometimes caught the end before the final bell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:34 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
Animal wrote:

Yep - I remember if the potential deciding game was on a school day the teacher would wheel in the tv set towards the end of the day and we would watch a few innings. The games went by so much faster then that we sometimes caught the end before the final bell.

TV was the worst thing to happen to live sports.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:48 pm 

val wrote:
Scrap Iron wrote:
Animal wrote:

TV was the worst thing to happen to live sports.

Just an example of that - Game 7 of the 1960 World Series was a 10-9 game that lasted 2 hours 36 minutes! Yes, the game was televised but back then tv fit into the natural rhythm of the game - now tv sets the pace. Can you imagine how long a 10-9 Game 7 would last now? Shoot, even a regular seson Red Sox - Yankees game (invariably on The 4-Letter) is a 4-hour-plus epic.....