Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:57 pm 

Looks like we are definitely headed to the one game wildcard playoff and honestly, it scares the shit out of me.

I guess I'm being greedy by wanting more in our first year of contention. I should be happy with finally breaking the losing streak and making the playoffs.

But the possibility of losing it all in one game makes me a nervous wreck.

Post subject: Re: One
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:07 pm 

Yeah, esp against the Reds. I find them much more daunting for a one-and-done game than Cards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

It ain't gonna be easy, that's for sure.

I really, really, really want to see this team in the National League Divisional Series. I want to see them in a true playoff series.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 pm 

Bud Selig should be shot. And I said this before last year's playoff. The whole concept is asinine. And you can reward division winners without making the wild card a joke. But Selig is a joke and has been for many years. The man who ruined baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 pm 

It only scares me because of the offense. I'm confident in either Liriano or Burnett. I'm not so confident in the Pirates ability to score more than a couple off of Cueto or Latos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
Bud Selig should be shot. And I said this before last year's playoff. The whole concept is asinine. And you can reward division winners without making the wild card a joke. But Selig is a joke and has been for many years. The man who ruined baseball.

I don't really mind the format, though it's tough for fans of the WC teams. It's certainly better than not making the playoffs at all.

To be honest, the Pirates have only themselves to blame for being in this position. If the Pirates had won the Marte drop game against the Cardinals and the Mercer error game against the Reds -- two games that were there for the taking in the 9th inning -- then the Pirates would be 93-66, the Cardinals would be 93-66, and the Reds would be 89-70. The Pirates would have a legitimate shot at the National League Central title and would have already clinched hosting the Wild Card game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:18 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

I'm with you.

I just put this on my Facebook page:

"If the Pirates lose in a one game wildcard playoff, I want Cousin Eddie to bring Bud Selig to me....like in Christmas Vacation."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:30 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

I don't really mind the format, though it's tough for fans of the WC teams. It's certainly better than not making the playoffs at all.

To be honest, the Pirates have only themselves to blame for being in this position. If the Pirates had won the Marte drop game against the Cardinals and the Mercer error game against the Reds -- two games that were there for the taking in the 9th inning -- then the Pirates would be 93-66, the Cardinals would be 93-66, and the Reds would be 89-70. The Pirates would have a legitimate shot at the National League Central title and would have already clinched hosting the Wild Card game.

Again, it could backfire. You could have the second or third best team in baseball end up a wild card and then they are out in one game after excelling for 162 games. At least a three-game series doesn't make it a coin flip.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:42 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Again, it could backfire. You could have the second or third best team in baseball end up a wild card and then they are out in one game after excelling for 162 games. At least a three-game series doesn't make it a coin flip.

I don't know, I like the format as it stands. The way it used to be not long ago the pirates would be on the verge of having to take 2 of 3 from the reds just to get in. The bucs are in, now its all about whether the bucs get a home or away playoff game. The knew system puts more emphasis on winning the division to sustain longevity inot the playoffs. A one game playoff doesn't guarantee more the one game. Win the division. The bucs gave that away. Cardinals, you're welcome. Also a 3 game series would push the playoffs even further into november. A 3 game playoff would make the division winners sit around longer. Baseball players don't want that. Win your division or win the play in game or go home.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 pm 

I'm scared crapless, too. We just haven't been lucky enough all year to think we can win a game like that for all the marbles. I can't see us scoring any more than a couple of runs in that scenario. I hope I'm wrong. Now, a seven game series I can see us winning. The luck sort of evens out over the course of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 pm 

If the Reds take 2 of 3 this weekend, the 2 team wild card format achieves the same result as I there was only one wild card team. The tie would be broken with a one game playoff and home field would be awarded to the team with a better head to head.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:02 pm 

I don't have a problem with two wild cards. I have a problem with the 1-game playoff.

And what if the division winner is 87-75 and the two wild cards are 92-70 and 91-71? So the division winner is rewarded for being in a crappy division. Again, there are better ways to reward division winners. Having not to play a three-game series in three days is a reward. Having to play game 5 or 7 at home is a reward. There are plenty of ways to make the division more valuable without making the wild card a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:15 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I don't have a problem with two wild cards. I have a problem with the 1-game playoff.

And what if the division winner is 87-75 and the two wild cards are 92-70 and 91-71? So the division winner is rewarded for being in a crappy division. Again, there are better ways to reward division winners. Having not to play a three-game series in three days is a reward. Having to play game 5 or 7 at home is a reward. There are plenty of ways to make the division more valuable without making the wild card a joke.

Agree 1000%. No reason they couldn't play a best of three...get rid of a couple off days, and it doesn't even change the end schedule...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 pm 

And the answer to the season going to long, that is easy. Start the season a week earlier in warm weather climates and domes. Don't have any days off in a playoff series unless it is a travel day and guess what that would do. Actually make it so a manager might have to use four pitcher or a pitcher on three days rest. Make the competitiveness of the series more important than the TV broadcasts. Get the game back to the people with 7 o'clock starts so kids can stay up and watch. There is so much baseball could do and still make billions of dollars, but they take the greedy, easy way. And Bud doesn't get the bigger picture. The lower ratings. The NFL taking over. It's a quick cash grab. Eventually, it will all catch up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

....or if they hadn't been swept by the cards just a couple weeks ago.

You can't play what if. You pull some games out you should have lost..like the comeback against the Angels or the Astros dropped popup game...and you lose some you should win...like the ones you mentioned here. They all even out.

I don't really mind the one game playoff. It gives one more team a shot vs how it was before..and back when the Bucs were last in the playoffs, there were only 2 teams. No matter what happens, it's been a great year. Hopefully, it lasts a little longer.