Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Explain why the heck would Andrew stay down.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:46 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, for one, you gain another year of control on the player's contract before he goes UFA.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:52 pm 

Kingston wrote:
I would still like to know whats really to be gained by bringing him up a few months earlier than conservatism would dictate. What are the tangible benefits to a late April call up vs a post Break callup? How does he benefit, how do we, in a way thats somehow different than if we waited.

Why do I get the feeling that the very same people who would have him up here now would be the first ones to blame him for not living up to expectations? A "bust" if you will.

I could see something like this being posted here come late June:
Quote:
Man, Huntington really blew this one. He should have kept McLouth in CF, moved Adam LaRoche to RF, and brought Rico Brogna out of retirement to play 1B. If only Nutting wasn't so cheap!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:55 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Well, for one, you gain another year of control on the player's contract before he goes UFA.

ZM

Thats a tangible benefit to waiting, which is what I endorse. No, Im asking those who would rather see him up sooner than later whats to be gained by that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:56 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Kingston wrote:
I would still like to know whats really to be gained by bringing him up a few months earlier than conservatism would dictate. What are the tangible benefits to a late April call up vs a post Break callup? How does he benefit, how do we, in a way thats somehow different than if we waited.

Why do I get the feeling that the very same people who would have him up here now would be the first ones to blame him for not living up to expectations? A "bust" if you will.

I could see something like this being posted here come late June:
Quote:
Man, Huntington really blew this one. He should have kept McLouth in CF, moved Adam LaRoche to RF, and brought Rico Brogna out of retirement to play 1B. If only Nutting wasn't so cheap!!

Yup. Andy Laroche shows the limit of some fan's patience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:21 pm 

A green Andrew McCutchen > Nyjer Morgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:26 pm 

omgardd wrote:

Sorry but thats a false premise. Whether a prospect is better than some mediocre player has no bearing on whether or not a prospect is ready for the majors or is being rushed, certainly no bearing for a non contender.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 pm 

omgardd wrote:

Great. Let's plan the parade route. That 73 win team will look a lot better than a 71 win team...especially looking back on it in 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 pm 

omgardd wrote:

So mortgage the future to improve the present? Dave Littlefield, thy name is omgardd.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:47 pm 

If he's a five star prospect, there's no reason to send him back to Indianapolis when he's already been there for a season and a half, I don't see what good that would do him. Maybe I'm missing something when I look at his stats from last year, but I'm not seeing a guy who hit .195 in Indianapolis who clearly isn't ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:54 pm 

omgardd wrote:
If he's a five star prospect, there's no reason to send him back to Indianapolis when he's already been there for a season and a half, I don't see what good that would do him. Maybe I'm missing something when I look at his stats from last year, but I'm not seeing a guy who hit .195 in Indianapolis who clearly isn't ready.

Should that be the criteria for a prospect's promotion, if he doesnt absolutely stink? The mere fact that he played better as the season went on shows the value of time spent in AAA. Hes getting closer to deserving a shot in the majors, but he sure isnt there yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:00 pm 

Kingston wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Hes getting closer to deserving a shot in the majors, but he sure isnt there yet.

I'm not trying to be a smartass about this, maybe I just don't see it, but what is it about his numbers that after this long would tell you he's not ready?

I'm not seeing a player who stunk last year. If the talent is there, it's there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 pm 

omgardd wrote:
Kingston wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Hes getting closer to deserving a shot in the majors, but he sure isnt there yet.

I'm not trying to be a smartass about this, maybe I just don't see it, but what is it about his numbers that after this long would tell you he's not ready?

I'm not seeing a player who stunk last year. If the talent is there, it's there.

Hes not hitting for average, hes not hitting with power, and his SB success rate is an absolute joke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:22 pm 

No, he didn't hit .330, but he didn't hit .230 either. You can't teach speed, he has it, I'm not concerned about his stolen base percentage, it will come around. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for power numbers from Andrew McCutchen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:25 pm 

omgardd wrote:
No, he didn't hit .330, but he didn't hit .230 either. You can't teach speed, he has it, I'm not concerned about his stolen base percentage, it will come around. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for power numbers from Andrew McCutchen.

So again, promote him because he didnt stink?

Yes, you cant teach speed, but you can teach how to steal a base. You can teach alot of things and have young players develop their skills and thats what the minors are for.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:41 pm 

Kingston wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Yes, you cant teach speed, but you can teach how to steal a base. You can teach alot of things and have young players develop their skills and thats what the minors are for.

If he didn't stink in the minors, what are you waiting for? What if he doesn't hit .330 with 12 HR and 40 SB this year either? Do you keep him down there in 2010 too?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:49 pm 

omgardd wrote:
Kingston wrote:
omgardd wrote:

If he didn't stink in the minors, what are you waiting for? What if he doesn't hit .330 with 12 HR and 40 SB this year either? Do you keep him down there in 2010 too?

LOL. Well, I dunno if .330 is the benchmark, but I would at least like to see him hit as well as Duffy, Tike Redman or Nyjer Morgan did down there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:43 pm 

Bradf really had it right in the other thread on this subject. I thought he hit it dead on with this point.
3) I want to see what we have with Morgan...even if he is a trade piece by July, he could end up as coveted as Duffy was for a while.

If Morgan sucks...oh well, we call up McCutcheon and then at least you saved a year and gave another guy a chance in an already probably losing season.