Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6035
It was strictly financial here in the deision not to retain him. I find him intriguing. It would all depend on the team being able to get rid of LaRoche. Dunn is not an outfielder by any stretch of the imagination.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7107
Az Bucco fan wrote:
It was strictly financial here in the deision not to retain him. I find him intriguing. It would all depend on the team being able to get rid of LaRoche. Dunn is not an outfielder by any stretch of the imagination.


Nor is he a 1st baseman...He's stayed in the OF a bit too long because he doesnt have a glove or the footwork to play 1st either...He needs to find an AL team so he can DH...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3945
Location: Zelienople, PA
Ah, so much for "DunnBlast Extravaganza"... :cry:

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
nad69dan wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
It was strictly financial here in the deision not to retain him. I find him intriguing. It would all depend on the team being able to get rid of LaRoche. Dunn is not an outfielder by any stretch of the imagination.


Nor is he a 1st baseman...He's stayed in the OF a bit too long because he doesnt have a glove or the footwork to play 1st either...He needs to find an AL team so he can DH...


Well, this debate has obviously gone rhetorical, as we all acknowledge it isn't happening, BUT...

I think I would take some poor defense at 1st if it came with 40 homers and an OBP of >.375

We are talking about a franchise that has had KY and Randall Simon as 1bman in the recent past. I think I could stomach Dunn handling it for a couple years.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 pm
Posts: 637
BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
It was strictly financial here in the deision not to retain him. I find him intriguing. It would all depend on the team being able to get rid of LaRoche. Dunn is not an outfielder by any stretch of the imagination.


Nor is he a 1st baseman...He's stayed in the OF a bit too long because he doesnt have a glove or the footwork to play 1st either...He needs to find an AL team so he can DH...



I think I would take some poor defense at 1st if it came with 40 homers and an OBP of >.375



And I think plenty of teams will feel the same way, especially at a discount, which is why we arent getting him, as you state.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
BBF wrote:
We are talking about a franchise that has had KY and Randall Simon as 1bman in the recent past. I think I could stomach Dunn handling it for a couple years.


What? No mention of Daryl Ward! Where's the love??


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
I thought about posting this as a new post but figured it may make more sense here.

Charlie over at Bucs Dugout posted a nifty piece on the KC Royals and how what they are doing is similar to what a bunch of people here would like to see happen with the Pirates. Read the article here:

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2009/1/13/719 ... yals-doing


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7107
Damn...Jason LaRue and his $5 million salary for a $1.00?!!!!!!

And to think we could have gotten something back instead of just releasing Matt Morris... even if it would have been 75 cents and some pocket lint...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:21 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
nad69dan wrote:
... even if it would have been 75 cents and some pocket lint...


Why would we want that? Isn't that what we picked up in the first round of the '07 draft?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Is anyone happy with this offseason.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7107
BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
... even if it would have been 75 cents and some pocket lint...


Why would we want that? Isn't that what we picked up in the first round of the '07 draft?


I thought we got Matt Weiters....oh wait....crap!!!

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], RTJR and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits