Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm 

Pirates sent JVB back to Indy.

They're going to recall another pitcher tomorrow.

I hope NH can find someone that can get 5-6 innings and not give up more than 4 runs.

Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:16 pm 

I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it (which isn't really saying that much) and he battled back to work out of adversity, where last year he would have caved and gotten rocked. I did not see his effort or his stuff as being a reason to send him down. However, I'm not sure he was going to get sufficient work up here to warrant keeping him. I don't know how NH spun this, but I would guess that he said something like he was sending him down to get work and build on the positive things he did.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 pm 

bradf wrote:
I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it (which isn't really saying that much) and he battled back to work out of adversity, where last year he would have caved and gotten rocked. I did not see his effort or his stuff as being a reason to send him down. However, I'm not sure he was going to get sufficient work up here to warrant keeping him. I don't know how NH spun this, but I would guess that he said something like he was sending him down to get work and build on the positive things he did.

I continue to think that Van Benschoten might make a good reliever, but I have no hope for him as a starter.

I would tell Huntingdon that when your 12th pitcher isn't going to get enough work, that means you're carrying too many pitchers. Especially with Russell managing the team. He doesn't play the strict platoon game that I hate so much with his pitchers. He's willing to send a guy out there for two innings.

On the other hand, I look at the hitters in Indy who we might replace a twelfth pitcher with and I want to gag.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 am 

I think the Pirates want to keep JVB as a starter, so that's why he was sent down. Despite the bad overall numbers, he has looked good compared to last year.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 am 
JVB sent down? NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 pm 

I'm not sure I like sending JVB down to stretch him out. That kind of tells me they still view him as a potential big league starter. I think he's much more suited to be a reliever.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
I'm not sure I like sending JVB down to stretch him out. That kind of tells me they still view him as a potential big league starter. I think he's much more suited to be a reliever.

Finally! MM posts something I agree with!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:56 pm 

BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:

Finally! MM posts something I agree with!! :lol:

The planets must be aligned right or something today ;-)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:20 pm 

bradf wrote:
I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it.

Those are some good points, and I think that you are correct. JVB was getting guys to swing and miss, and was pretty good with his location in the first 4 innings.

He just seemed to lose it in the 5th. If he can throw for 7 innings like he did the first 4, he can be a starter in the majors. If not, it looks like he can work as a long reliever.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
bradf wrote:
I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it.

Those are some good points, and I think that you are correct. JVB was getting guys to swing and miss, and was pretty good with his location in the first 4 innings.

He just seemed to lose it in the 5th. If he can throw for 7 innings like he did the first 4, he can be a starter in the majors. If not, it looks like he can work as a long reliever.

I also thing that his pitch repertoire is more suited for the bullpen. He throws two pitches pretty well, which is fine for the bullpen, but it's hard to make it as a starter with just two good pitches.

I'd rather see him go all out for an inning or two rather than try to stretch out a full start. I think he's a sprinter, not a distance runner.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:56 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
I'd rather see him go all out for an inning or two rather than try to stretch out a full start. I think he's a sprinter . . .

Mayor Mystery wrote:
. . . not a distance runner.