Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 pm
Posts: 145
Pirates sent JVB back to Indy.

They're going to recall another pitcher tomorrow.

I hope NH can find someone that can get 5-6 innings and not give up more than 4 runs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:28 pm
Posts: 1363
I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it (which isn't really saying that much) and he battled back to work out of adversity, where last year he would have caved and gotten rocked. I did not see his effort or his stuff as being a reason to send him down. However, I'm not sure he was going to get sufficient work up here to warrant keeping him. I don't know how NH spun this, but I would guess that he said something like he was sending him down to get work and build on the positive things he did.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5559
Location: Pittsburgh
bradf wrote:
I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it (which isn't really saying that much) and he battled back to work out of adversity, where last year he would have caved and gotten rocked. I did not see his effort or his stuff as being a reason to send him down. However, I'm not sure he was going to get sufficient work up here to warrant keeping him. I don't know how NH spun this, but I would guess that he said something like he was sending him down to get work and build on the positive things he did.

I continue to think that Van Benschoten might make a good reliever, but I have no hope for him as a starter.

I would tell Huntingdon that when your 12th pitcher isn't going to get enough work, that means you're carrying too many pitchers. Especially with Russell managing the team. He doesn't play the strict platoon game that I hate so much with his pitchers. He's willing to send a guy out there for two innings.

On the other hand, I look at the hitters in Indy who we might replace a twelfth pitcher with and I want to gag.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3708
Location: Economy, PA
I think the Pirates want to keep JVB as a starter, so that's why he was sent down. Despite the bad overall numbers, he has looked good compared to last year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 am 
JVB sent down? NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 94
I'm not sure I like sending JVB down to stretch him out. That kind of tells me they still view him as a potential big league starter. I think he's much more suited to be a reliever.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Mayor Mystery wrote:
I'm not sure I like sending JVB down to stretch him out. That kind of tells me they still view him as a potential big league starter. I think he's much more suited to be a reliever.


Finally! MM posts something I agree with!! :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:56 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 94
BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:
I'm not sure I like sending JVB down to stretch him out. That kind of tells me they still view him as a potential big league starter. I think he's much more suited to be a reliever.


Finally! MM posts something I agree with!! :lol:


The planets must be aligned right or something today ;-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10763
bradf wrote:
I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it.


Those are some good points, and I think that you are correct. JVB was getting guys to swing and miss, and was pretty good with his location in the first 4 innings.

He just seemed to lose it in the 5th. If he can throw for 7 innings like he did the first 4, he can be a starter in the majors. If not, it looks like he can work as a long reliever.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:26 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 94
Bucfan wrote:
bradf wrote:
I was at the game today (working on a game report) and was actually pretty impressed with JVB through 4 innings, but he really hit a wall in the 5th. His command was better than I have ever seen it.


Those are some good points, and I think that you are correct. JVB was getting guys to swing and miss, and was pretty good with his location in the first 4 innings.

He just seemed to lose it in the 5th. If he can throw for 7 innings like he did the first 4, he can be a starter in the majors. If not, it looks like he can work as a long reliever.


I also thing that his pitch repertoire is more suited for the bullpen. He throws two pitches pretty well, which is fine for the bullpen, but it's hard to make it as a starter with just two good pitches.

I'd rather see him go all out for an inning or two rather than try to stretch out a full start. I think he's a sprinter, not a distance runner.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates Demote JVB
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10763
Mayor Mystery wrote:
I'd rather see him go all out for an inning or two rather than try to stretch out a full start. I think he's a sprinter . . .


Image

Mayor Mystery wrote:
. . . not a distance runner.


Image


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits