Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quandry
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:16 am 

Braves/Nats . . . whom do you root for?

Braves? Would be nice for the Bucs to clinch at least a wildcard berth as soon as possible. If the Braves take 2 of 3 from the Nats, it would take a minor miracle for the Nats to see post-season play. It would all but clinch the Cards/Reds/Bucs making post-season play. Also, do the Bucs really want to host a wild-card playoff game against Gio Gonzalez or against Zimmerman or even Strasburg?

Nationals? If the Bucs take care of their own business, they need not be concerned with the Nationals. I'm looking at that Nats/Cardinals series early next week and can't help but think how nice it would be for the Nats to be a highly motivated team as they face the Cardinals. If the Bucs need to create some separation early next week (or gain a game or two) with the Cardinals, their best bet may involve the Nats needing to win those games in St. Louis to stay in the hunt. Also, it wouldn't hurt to see the Braves drop a couple of games while the Bucs play the Padres.

Its a really tough call and I really can't make up my mind one way or the other.

Post subject: Re: Quandry
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am 

If the Nats take 2/3 and still hang on by a thread, that'll be good for the Pirates, in my view. Keep the Nats hungry against the Cards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am 

I like the Nats, being originally from DC and all, so I am happy with them playing better. I also think that any losses towards the better teams in the league, like the Braves, is a good thing as well, so it's a no-brainer for me. Go Nationals!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am 

The Pirates are 2 games behind the Braves for the best record in the NL and home field advantage throughout the NL playoffs.

If the Pirates are a World Series contender, they beat up on the Padres and Cubs and go 3-3 at worst against the Reds. They don't need the help regarding the wild card; they need help regarding home field.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Also, do the Bucs really want to host a wild-card playoff game against Gio Gonzalez or against Zimmerman

They're no better than the potential alternatives of the other NL Central teams. Cueto (returning from DL on Monday), Latos, Wainright, perhaps not even Leake with the season he's having. Particularly the Pirates inability to ever figure out the Reds 1-2 despite playing them 5-6 times a year. The Pirates have a .180 BA against Cueto (74 IP), .199 against Latos (38 IP) the last three years.

Last edited by TheShark on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd love to see the Nats sweep the Braves. The Pirates are closer to having the best record in the NL than missing the playoffs entirely.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:28 pm 

Yeah . . . I get the "best record in NL" goal. You need only look at the Braves schedule and realize that it is not particularly realistic. Also, the Braves hold the tiebreaker so that Bucs actually have to earn a better record. They need to be three games better than the Braves over the last 13 games of the season. Extremely unlikely.

I don't want the Bucs to play in the wild card game for a couple of reasons: (1) potential for one and done; (2) no home field advantage.

But, there is a silver lining. I don't like a Dodgers/Pirates series. I think that the Braves are a much better match-up. Pirates pitchers match up better against the Braves lineup and the Pirates hitters match up better with the Braves pitching. Having to face Kershaw/Greinke for the first two against L.A. will be an immense task. If the Bucs have to face the Dodgers, I'd much rather see it after they have a playoff series under their belt.

Also . . . give me the Reds in a wild-card game instead of the Nats. And I really don't want to see a wild card Bucs/Cards play-in game.

Going to be an interesting . . . and fun . . . week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:50 pm 

Probably worth noting that the 6 non-Pirates games left for the Reds are against the Astros and Mets.

An added bonus with Cueto returning to the rotation tonight, I fully anticipate this series to clinch Houston's third consecutive 100-loss season (meaning a Reds series win, and more than likely a sweep). NYM series is at GABP. If I was to armchair speculate I fully believe the essential series will be this weekend's Reds series at PNC. By my calculations that means that seemingly the impossible will happen and the Pirates will miss Cueto at PNC and see Latos/Bailey/Arroyo. Although missing both Cueto/Latos is ideal, this is a pretty solid alternative in missing Cueto/Leake. With no games in hand against the Cardinals I don't bother speculating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
If the Nats take 2/3 and still hang on by a thread, that'll be good for the Pirates, in my view. Keep the Nats hungry against the Cards.

This.

The nats know they have to beat the braves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:27 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The Pirates are 2 games behind the Braves for the best record in the NL and home field advantage throughout the NL playoffs.

If the Pirates are a World Series contender, they beat up on the Padres and Cubs and go 3-3 at worst against the Reds. They don't need the help regarding the wild card; they need help regarding home field.

No--- this

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:30 pm 

Quote:
I wanna beat the Reds at home in a one game playoff. PNC park will be going nutty off the charts while Garrett Cole shoves it right up their ass. Then we will carry our hap hap happy asses over to Atlanta and deliver a little payback. Because boy do we oh oh oh owe them. We will end that series with little known Tony Sanchez driving in our slowest player on the team in Gaby Sanchez. Payback is hell. Then down with the Cardinals because they will find a way to beat the Dodgers. and then we will go and kick Jimmy Lelands quitting ass.

No This!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:44 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

This

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:32 pm 

Nats rally for 3 in bottom of 9th to take Game #1 of today's DH.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:41 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

Over the past few years it seems like there's been at least one team that has seemingly come out of nowhere to secure a play-off spot.

And so, however unlikely it may be, the Nats are officially making me nervous.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 pm 

Scrap Iron wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Over the past few years it seems like there's been at least one team that has seemingly come out of nowhere to secure a play-off spot.

And so, however unlikely it may be, the Nats are officially making me nervous.

I have been saying this for weeks. I am by no means a "collapse-ist", but with their schedule and how they are winning games, I dont want the Bucs to be the ones that get bitten in the arse by a surging team. Bucs need to TCOB the rest of the Padres series. I understand the different scenarios that would prompt us to root for the Nats, but to me, I want to see the playoff magic number keep going down and it goes down faster when Nats lose.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:27 am 
 WWW  Profile

Neither. We can not worry about the other team - the Bucs need to just keep winning and it'll all fall into place.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.