All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates talk to Yankees
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:53 pm 

about Swisher and Nady. Here we go!

:D

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09008/940624-100.stm

Post subject: Re: Pirates talk to Yankees
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:51 am 

It will never happen, I would love to have Swisher, but the Yankees want pitching in return and the Pirates don't have any to give up.

What is more likely though was what I read at the bottom of today's PG article that elaborated on that quick post DK posted last night which bucco boy posted above me. Here is the link to today's article.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09009/940727-63.stm

At the bottom of the article, DK mentions how the Pirates are looking at comeback type guys who had poor seasons last year and DK speculates three names: Emil Brown, Craig Monroe, and Johny Gomes. I personally don't want Emil Brown back, although he did post .800+ OPS seasons in 2006 and 2007. Still, he is nothing special and I don't think he will help.

Concerning Craig Monroe, I really don't know why anyone has ever thought he is that good. His career minor league OPS is below .800 and his major league OPS is a weak .745. I don't really see him helping the team.

However, I think Johny Gomes might be a nice pickup for the Pirates and I said so in another thread. His major league OPS is the highest of the three and probably was greatly reduced by a poor year last year during which he only had 154 at bats which tells me he probably came off the bench. His minor league OPS is .927 which is insane and tell me he definitely has talent, and he even posted a .900+ OPS in the majors hitting on the TB rays in the AL East before the rays were good. I wouldn't mind the Pirates signing him as I think Pearce would do well hitting full time in AAA this year as his 2008 stats might indicate 2007 was not normal for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:04 pm 

I think Gomes would be a nice, inexpensive addition, too. Injuries may have played into his poor production last year. I wonder about him defensively, though, since Tampa DHed him a lot. Fortunately, RF at PNC Park is not difficult to play.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 pm 

IronKett25 wrote:
At the bottom of the article, DK mentions how the Pirates are looking at comeback type guys who had poor seasons last year and DK speculates three names: Emil Brown, Craig Monroe, and Johny Gomes.

Man, if that's as good as it gets I'd rather just do what it takes to get Minky back. Give him a couple million and promise him 450PAs between 1st, 3rd, and RF.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:17 pm 

Argentum wrote:
IronKett25 wrote:
At the bottom of the article, DK mentions how the Pirates are looking at comeback type guys who had poor seasons last year and DK speculates three names: Emil Brown, Craig Monroe, and Johny Gomes.

Man, if that's as good as it gets I'd rather just do what it takes to get Minky back. Give him a couple million and promise him 450PAs between 1st, 3rd, and RF.

Minky in any fielding position where he has to run would be disasterous - even RF in PNC. Also, consider the fact that Minky bats left handed as well so the Pirates wouldn't do well hitting against lefty pitchers - they are looking for a RH hitter to balance the lineup. Gomes has talent, is right handed, and he is going to be 28 in 2009.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:18 pm 

IronKett25 wrote:
Minky in any fielding position where he has to run would be disasterous - even RF in PNC. Also, consider the fact that Minky bats left handed as well so the Pirates wouldn't do well hitting against lefty pitchers - they are looking for a RH hitter to balance the lineup. Gomes has talent, is right handed, and he is going to be 28 in 2009.

I'm not worried about balance from a side of the plate perspective, I'm more interested in balance from a hitting perspective. Minky is average no matter what arm the pitcher throws with, can actually take a walk, and plays OF and IF. Gomes has some pop but sucks against RHPs plus he's a strike out machine.

I think we can all agree that neither are any great shakes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:50 pm 

Gomes? Why? Strikeout machine is right. Has some pop but thats it, otherwise terrible. Lousy offensively for 3 years in a row now. Cant hit righties, cant hit in the clutch, terrible with RISP throughout his career.