Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Would it be worth a long, damaging labor stoppage to gain a salary cap in Major League Baseball?
Yes. The game needs one at all costs 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
No. In spite of payroll differences, competitive balance is strong 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Re: Salary Cap poll
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:08 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
It's not the salary cap as much as guaranteed salaries that have screwed the game up. That's what I would like to see changed. It will never happen, but that's the problem.

+1. Something needs to be done is what most of us agree upon. Maybe they could increase the luxury tax. I would like to see a complete restructuring of MLB's divisions and leagues to even it out (like why is there more NL teams than AL - thats dumb). When I ask many people why they don't like baseball, they often say something like it's not exciting because some teams have no chance. Although teams like the Rays prove this wrong, It still would probably be better for baseball to make some changes. I feel that Kingston is right and things like the strength of the players union will ruin baseball someday and MLB will have no choice but to make major changes in the future to preserve the general non-hardcore fan base.

Yes, attendance and revenues have done nothing but fall since the Player's Union came along. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:25 pm 

Let's see here.

We have unemploymaent sky high and headed for 9/10%.
We have the financial industry in complete disaray.
We have auto companies going out of business if they don't change. But the change means retirees and active workers get clobbered.
We ahve health care cost desimating business and individuals.
We have......

What a mess and baseball continues to give crazy salaries to players. If the owners make enough money to pay like this, something is wrong.

It will impact baseball this season-- attendance will be down,companies and individuals will not be able to buy at the inflated prices. Ah, monopoly is a great thing. The golden goose is on the move flying to sunnier places.

What's wrong with this picture?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:48 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Let's see here.

We have unemploymaent sky high and headed for 9/10%.
We have the financial industry in complete disaray.
We have auto companies going out of business if they don't change. But the change means retirees and active workers get clobbered.
We ahve health care cost desimating business and individuals.
We have......

What a mess and baseball continues to give crazy salaries to players. If the owners make enough money to pay like this, something is wrong.

It will impact baseball this season-- attendance will be down,companies and individuals will not be able to buy at the inflated prices. Ah, monopoly is a great thing. The golden goose is on the move flying to sunnier places.

What's wrong with this picture?

Nothing. That's economics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:40 pm 

Not really because the industry is not your typical American industry.

In business, you are trying to beat your competition to the point where it is beneficial they don't exist anymore. In baseball, if competition fails to exist, then it hurts each team and the players.

A classic economical argument i.e. supply and demand does not work with baseball because professional sports are so unique.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:39 am 

bucco boy wrote:

In business, you are trying to beat your competition to the point where it is beneficial they don't exist anymore. In baseball, if competition fails to exist, then it hurts each team and the players.

A classic economical argument i.e. supply and demand does not work with baseball because professional sports are so unique.

Well said...sports ARE unique. Too many people view them through the same set of glasses as all other business. It's different, plain and simple. Which is why a change will need to be made sooner than later. Other sports have got it right to some varying degree.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:52 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Well said...sports ARE unique. Too many people view them through the same set of glasses as all other business. It's different, plain and simple. Which is why a change will need to be made sooner than later. Other sports have got it right to some varying degree.

All the four major sports have it right to some varying degree.

I say football's system is the best.
Baseball's is second.
The NBA's is last.

I'm leaving hockey out for now because the system is so new, I don't think it can be fairly evaluated right now.

Formerly "The_Tracy_Turnaround"