Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morneau
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:53 am 

I've always liked him but...
after 8 games he's batting.222 with no homers and no RBIs. Only one extra base hit.

Say, here a thought--- let's bat him 4th and move that lousy, stinking Alverez to 6th before benching him completely. By God, this will be the last game we let him win for us!

Post subject: Re: Morneau
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am 

Not so much re your post, sub. But you need a new sig! Woo hoo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

He couldn't get a run in from third with one out either, just like everybody else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:33 am 

More? No!

Less? Yes!

I didn't want him to come in and replace Jones. I did not mind him as a 24th or 25th guy over some of the other options. He is washed up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:43 am 
 WWW  Profile

Well, for what we got him for, it was a great move. I just didn't think he'd be that great here. But I certainly can't say he's not a better option than Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:59 am 

He's getting on base at a better clip than Jones and Alvarez lately, so that helps. It would be nice to see him knock a few XBH, though. His swing doesn't look bad and he's not chasing too much (at least on pitches from RHP). He doesn't look washed up to me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:32 am 

He's going to beat around Garza on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:20 pm 

Morneau hit a piss missile towards the right-center field gap the first game against the Cardinals, but the CF'er tracked it down.

His swing is really nice and he makes hard contact. Stuff will fall in and go into the gaps and over the fence with that approach and that swing.

Oh, and even when he goes 0-3, he walks once or twice and runs up the pitch count.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:34 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Morneau hit a piss missile towards the right-center field gap the first game against the Cardinals, but the CF'er tracked it down.

His swing is really nice and he makes hard contact. Stuff will fall in and go into the gaps and over the fence with that approach and that swing.

Oh, and even when he goes 0-3, he walks once or twice and runs up the pitch count.

I just don't like them playing him every day and forgetting about Jones. Glad he is getting to DH in TExas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:38 pm 

everyone hits at'em balls. Repeat he's hitting .222 as a Pirate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:41 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

Line drives have a BABIP of over .600, while fly balls around .150, so it matters a TON how a batter is hitting the ball. If he were hitting two-hoppers to 2nd base or lazy fly balls, and lucked out with a couple of bloop hits, I would NOT feel better about his likely future production. In fact, I would feel worse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:43 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

But he has a .344 on-base%...He's getting on base 34% of the he come to the plate. His career on-base% is .347.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:06 pm 

OBP >>>>> Batting Average

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

But he has a .344 on-base%...He's getting on base 34% of the he come to the plate. His career on-base% is .347.

Yeah but a .222 BA means unless he's crushing XBH every time up he's looking at a really poor slugging %. As a result, he has a .603 OPS with us and a sub-.300 slugging %. Also, his BABIP is .300 so while the line drives might even out into hits, let's not forget all of his seeing eye ground balls he hit in Milwaukee.

He was a fine gamble at the price they got him for, but he's performing at about what his numbers suggested was possible.

He's benched tonight, maybe he clears his head and goes on a hot streak. That was about as likely as a cold streak so our luck could turn on the veteran strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:15 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
OBP >>>>> Batting Average

Not necessarily. When I see Cutch on second or third, I prefer my cleanup guy get a hit or fly ball, not draw a walk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:17 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Yeah but a .222 BA means unless he's crushing XBH every time up he's looking at a really poor slugging %. As a result, he has a .603 OPS with us and a sub-.300 slugging %. Also, his BABIP is .300 so while the line drives might even out into hits, let's not forget all of his seeing eye ground balls he hit in Milwaukee.

He was a fine gamble at the price they got him for, but he's performing at about what his numbers suggested was possible.

He's benched tonight, maybe he clears his head and goes on a hot streak. That was about as likely as a cold streak so our luck could turn on the veteran strategy.

Come on SA, Morneau is GREAT! He alone can lead us to the promised land. He draws walks and plays good D at 1b!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm 

Animal wrote:
Come on SA, Morneau is GREAT! He alone can lead us to the promised land. He draws walks and plays good D at 1b!!

No one said Morneau is great...But he is better than Jones.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm 

He does look spectacular when he has to range 2 steps to his left or right to field a grounder to 1st.

Also his line drive % is worse than the other 1B on the team (20% vs 22% vs 25%), his ground ball % is 55% (the other guys are both sub-40%). Even combining what he did with the Twins, he's only 20.6% line drive with 41.4% ground ball.

I'll get lambasted for it, but looking at the profiles of the hitters, the one most likely to turn it around is Jones. He's the guy who has the highest line drive %, the highest HR/FB %, and the guy with a BABIP lower than his career norms.

Like I said, good gamble but Morneau's performance thus far was definitely possible, if not probable. But, it's baseball so a guy can turn it on just as quickly as he was ice cold within a small sample. Maybe he's the guy it happens for. Maybe it's Pedro. Maybe it's a guy like Russ or Tabata who have been more steady than highs and lows. Have to think somebody will get hot though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:45 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
He does look spectacular when he has to range 2 steps to his left or right to field a grounder to 1st.

Also his line drive % is worse than the other 1B on the team (20% vs 22% vs 25%), his ground ball % is 55% (the other guys are both sub-40%). Even combining what he did with the Twins, he's only 20.6% line drive with 41.4% ground ball.

I'll get lambasted for it, but looking at the profiles of the hitters, the one most likely to turn it around is Jones. He's the guy who has the highest line drive %, the highest HR/FB %, and the guy with a BABIP lower than his career norms.

Like I said, good gamble but Morneau's performance thus far was definitely possible, if not probable. But, it's baseball so a guy can turn it on just as quickly as he was ice cold within a small sample. Maybe he's the guy it happens for. Maybe it's Pedro. Maybe it's a guy like Russ or Tabata who have been more steady than highs and lows. Have to think somebody will get hot though.

I agree with you 100%. I like Morneau on the team, just not as the every day first baseman. It's totally a fallacy that at this stage of his career, he is a better option than GJ.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:09 pm 

He seems to be alright at getting on base, but not driving in runs (although having opportunities is obviously a factor).

He also seems to be a more 'professional' hitter than what the Bucs have been used to (that is, he doesn't get totally lost at the plate often).

Upgrade from GFJ? Maybe only slightly at best.

Servicable will do for now.