Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My apologies, but good news too.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I simply have no reason to see why someone watching Jones in one game, in a defense he hasn't mastered yet, in a timeframe about 2 years ahead of most Steeler LB's can disfavorable compare him to a guy drafted and playing a whole year ahead of him.

Especially when you look at this college career - dominant. His preseason - dominant. His complete annihilation of the Titan TE in his one rookie appearance.

But yeah, a tackle held him up once.

Just don't get it.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Look, I know this was supposed to be the end. And they looked bad on offense, with Sanders looking worse than Mike Wallace ever did. But I do think there's a good deal of young talent on this team and I will see them getting it together this season until, well - until they don't. This team hasn't had a losing season since 2003! That's insane!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Remember Bucfan, no standup OLB really takes on a tackle straight up. They bullrush or run around him, or wait for the DE to tie him up. It is the Steeler way.

ZM

Bullrush IS taking on the OT. Jones will try to bullrush and be stopped dead in his tracks.

James Harrison bullrushed OT's and ran over them. Got under their pads and threw them out of the way.

The fear of that happening keeps the OT from simply drifting to the outside to stop the speed rush.

Jones is not going to benefit from that skill and inducing that fear.

Look, fine, if you guys want me to piss sunshine and rainbows, okay. The same Steelers team that got ass-raped at home by a horrible Titans team, and that lost to the dregs of the NFL last year, is just loaded with talent.

If so, then why the @#$% does Mike Tomlin still have a job?

Get my point?

Draft busts, too many old guys, and relying on too many young guys equals a 6-10 season.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Remember Bucfan, no standup OLB really takes on a tackle straight up. They bullrush or run around him, or wait for the DE to tie him up. It is the Steeler way.

ZM

Bullrush IS taking on the OT. Jones will try to bullrush and be stopped dead in his tracks.

James Harrison bullrushed OT's and ran over them. Got under their pads and threw them out of the way.

The fear of that happening keeps the OT from simply drifting to the outside to stop the speed rush.

Look, fine, if you guys want me to piss sunshine and rainbows, okay. The same Steelers team that got ass-raped at home by a horrible Titans team, and that lost to the dregs of the NFL last year, is just loaded with talent.

Get my point?

And again, the response is that firing your coaching staff after a single 8-8 season is not the way they do business. Even Cowher had an 8-8 season with a good team, and I don't care if Ben had a motorcycle accident (I think the appendectomy would have affected him more) - they got destroyed by the Ravens with the playoffs on the line at the end of that year. And I think that was still a good team. Bill Belichick's Patriots went 8-8 after winning their first Super Bowl, then they won the next two.

The modern day NFL is full of teams with holes and "good" teams losing to "bad" teams - hell, the Colts and Texans and Patriots were all gifted wins in games against the dregs of the NFL that they shouldn't have lost to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:10 pm 
 WWW  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Get my point?

Draft busts, too many old guys, and relying on too many young guys equals a 6-10 season.

I think Polamalu, Keisel, Clark and Taylor are the only old guys playing significant roles. It will come down to the young guys, I'll grant you that. I don't see them scoring 9 every game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
We are so spoiled that an 8-8 season is a debacle.

Look, any Steeler fan who thinks that last year was anything other than an embarrassment is being too generous.

In their past 15 games, Steelers went 1-5 against dogshit: Oakland, Tennessee, San Diego, Dallas, Cleveland, and Tennessee again, with the one victory an OT squeaker at home against the horrendous Chiefs.

I know that being a Pirates fan requires patience and optimism, but I guess the Buccos have used it up. The Steelers are bad this year - bad, people - and look to be worse as Troy gets ever closer to retirement.

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Remember Bustamalu?

Troy Polamalu >>>>>>>>>>> Jarvis Jones

And that was clear in college, from the skill set, the speed, the vision, the reaction time, the effort, the fitness, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:21 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The Steelers are bad this year - bad, people - and look to be worse as Troy gets ever closer to retirement.

The offense is bad, the defense is fine.

Of course, as long as the offense struggles it will affect the D.

I expect a lot of 13-10, 16-13, 20-16 games, with the Steelers being on the losing end. 7-9 at worst.

Steelers aren't as bad as the dregs of the league (Jags, Raiders, Cards, Vikes, Chargers, Titans, Bills, Jets, Browns...); they're tweeners.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:31 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I simply have no reason to see why someone watching Jones in one game, in a defense he hasn't mastered yet, in a timeframe about 2 years ahead of most Steeler LB's can disfavorable compare him to a guy drafted and playing a whole year ahead of him.

But yeah, a tackle held him up once.

Just don't get it.

ZM

He played 3-4 in college.

He was stoned by OT's routinely at Georgia.

He was stoned by OT's in post-season all-star games.

He was stoned by OT's in pre-season.

He was stoned by OT's game 1.

He does not have the 4.8 speed to speed rush as effectively as a guy like Aldon Smith. (Jarvis Jones ran a 4.92 at his pro-day.) He is 236 lbs. He does not have any pass rush technique except the speed rush. He cannot beat an offensive lineman one-on-one. He is a player with limited physical skills who also has stenosis.

I hope to high heaven he turns into Kevin Greene. I just am not seeing it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Remember Bustamalu?

Troy Polamalu >>>>>>>>>>> Jarvis Jones

And that was clear in college, from the skill set, the speed, the vision, the reaction time, the effort, the fitness, etc.

He should have been drafted much earlier if it were this clear.

JJ Watt had 5.5 sacks in his rookie year. James Harrison got cut about 100 times.

I'm just sayin'. I see that your pessimistic about this year, and you can judge rookies after a game if you'd like, but a lot of good teams have looked like ass in week one (look at 2003 New England), a lot of rookies have become great without dominating from the start, and I sure hope that I'm right and you're wrong because as much as I want to see Jadeveon Clowney in Pittsburgh, I don't want to see Jadeveon Clowney in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:36 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Steelers aren't as bad as the dregs of the league (Jags, Raiders, Cards, Vikes, Chargers, Titans, Bills, Jets, Browns...); they're tweeners.

Lost to the Raiders last year.

Lost to the Browns last year.

Lost to the Titans last year.

Lost to the Chargers last year.

Lost to the Titans again this year.

I know it is painful for us Steelers fans to admit, but we ARE the dregs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Bad losses, for sure, but they weren't blow outs. They were losses because the offense is anemic.

The Steelers had two losses of >7 points (one score) and one of them (week 1 @ DEN) was due to a pick-six.

Eight losses of 33 combined points is ~4 points per game... in five of eight losses a FG would have forced OT and/or a tie.

Now, it's easy to argue that the 2013 Steelers will be worse than the 2012 version, but they shouldn't lose a ton of games by >10 points (unless they are as bad as you think).

Most likely they'll have 7+ losses, most by 7 or fewer points and end up with a near equal PF/PA differential.

The bottom could fall out if the OL continues to waver and/or if BB goes down, but realistically this will be a 'tweener' team. Good defensively, non-existent offensively. One-dimensional.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:28 am 

Bucfan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Lost to the Raiders last year.

Lost to the Browns last year.

Lost to the Titans last year.

Lost to the Chargers last year.

Lost to the Titans again this year.

The Steelers beat the Ravens last year in Baltimore... with Charlie Batch at quarterback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:01 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
The Steelers beat the Ravens last year in Baltimore... with Charlie Batch at quarterback.

And I fear that this season, every win will be as unexpected.

Their showing since week 10 last season is a legitimate, well-founded cause for my concern. Since the 6-3 start, they have gone 2-6 with losses to some bad teams.

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

And their week 1 effort is not comforting.

But if it makes you guys feel better, the Steelers team that limped home 2-5 and had a terrible offensive line last year is better off without James Harrison, Mike Wallace, Keenan Lewis, Max Starks, and Maurkice Pouncey.