Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My apologies, but good news too.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 pm 

Today the Pirates will finally break the curse officially. To be honest, it is my fault. No, not the twenty years of futility, just the extended wait since they won game 81. You see, today is my birthday and the Pirates felt the best gift I could get would be win 82. I can't say I disagree and truly will relish this wonderful present. Sorry they delayed everyone's party until my big day.

Here is to finally breaking the streak!

Post subject: Re: My apologies, but good news too.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

The baseball gods must hate me....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Chris Anderson wrote:

They hate us. They hate all of us.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:43 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:

The proverbial lump of coal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:08 pm 

Unreal get to 81 and then lose 4 straight. Hard to determine who was worse this weekend-- the Stilers or the Buccos. What an ugly time for Pittsburgh teams.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 pm 

It was definitely the Steelers. The Pirates have already exceeded everyone's expectations. The Steelers were humiliated against a terrible team, at home. And they're the STEELERS. Their name carries as much weight in sports as any of the top teams.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:49 pm 

Well the Bills didn't do anything to make today better either....... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Well the Bills didn't do anything to make today better either....... 8-) 8-) 8-)

The Bills played a very good game and outplayed the Pats the vast majority of that game.

The Steelers best offensive play for 58:30 was having the kick returner on the Titans be an idiot. The best block - indeed, arguably the ONLY block - by a Steelers lineman was Decastro blowing up Pouncey's knee.

The Steelers game was 2010 Pirates ugly. And the Steelers played exactly like I expected, and believe will be replicated a lot this season.

The team is awful and has no young stars. The best players on the team - Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Miller - are Cowher holdovers. This season is going to be fugly, and anybody who did not see this coming last year was living in a dream world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:09 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

The Bills played a very good game and outplayed the Pats the vast majority of that game.

The Steelers best offensive play for 58:30 was having the kick returner on the Titans be an idiot. The best block - indeed, arguably the ONLY block - by a Steelers lineman was Decastro blowing up Pouncey's knee.

The Steelers game was 2010 Pirates ugly. And the Steelers played exactly like I expected, and believe will be replicated a lot this season.

The team is awful and has no young stars. The best players on the team - Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Miller - are Cowher holdovers. This season is going to be fugly, and anybody who did not see this coming last year was living in a dream world.

Jarvis Jones will be a star, I believe. And, despite the cut-block brain fart, I have high hopes for DeCastro. Markus Wheaton, Cam Heyward, Shamarko Thomas, Le'Veon Bell, and Cortez Allen -- all young -- have excellent potential as well. The Steelers' offensive scheme and execution were awful, but there are some good pieces there.

It may not be a banner year, but the cupboard isn't bare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:14 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Jarvis Jones will be a star, I believe. And, despite the cut-block brain fart, I have high hopes for DeCastro. Markus Wheaton, Cam Heyward, Shamarko Thomas, Le'Veon Bell, and Cortez Allen -- all young -- have excellent potential as well. The Steelers' offensive scheme and execution were awful, but there are some good pieces there.

For once, we agree

It may not be a banner year, but the cupboard isn't bare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:43 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Jarvis Jones will be a star, I believe. And, despite the cut-block brain fart, I have high hopes for DeCastro. Markus Wheaton, Cam Heyward, Shamarko Thomas, Le'Veon Bell, and Cortez Allen -- all young -- have excellent potential as well.

You gave a list of good players.

Playoff teams and Super Bowl teams have 3 or 4 star players surrounded by good players. You may have a lot of hope in J. Jones, but watching him take on an offensive tackle, he cannot beat a block. He can run around an OT on occasion, which takes him way out of position, but if he goes up against an OT, he is stopped dead in his tracks.

Players like Aldon Smith and J.J. Watt beat offensive tackles. Jones at best runs around them.

Also, I admire your optimism, but am at a loss as to what you have seen from the Steelers the past 1+ year that gives you such optimism. Losses to the @#$&ing Raiders, the Titans, the Browns, the Chargers (at home), the Titans again (at home), and being pushed around for most of the game by the winless Chiefs (again at home) are the evidence I need for my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Aldon Smith and JJ Watt are players that you can't get when you draft in the 20s every year.

I also remember when they got embarrassed by the Eagles in game 2 of the 2008 season and that season was "over". I'm gonna hold off burying them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

And Aldon Smith became just another guy when Justin Smith (their Aaron Smith) got hurt. He's not exactly running wild through blockers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

JJ Watt though is absolutely insane. If the NFL held a redistribution draft, the Steelers may be tempted to take him over a QB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
Aldon Smith and JJ Watt are players that you can't get when you draft in the 20s every year.

Jones was drafted 17th.

Smith and Watt are stars. Jones is not going to be that type of player, IMO. Not even close.

Tomlin and Colbert have had a series of poor and/or underperforming first round picks (Hood, Heyward, J. Jones, Mendenhall), and that is catching up to them.

Look, I hope I am wrong. You have little perception of how much I root for the Steelers, and how the Steelers and Penguins have kept me interested in sports the past 20 years.

But it is time to wake up and smell the coffee relative to the Steelers. They are not very good, and that is why they keep losing to the worst teams in the NFL.

Seriously, if the Steelers are actually good, then why is Tomlin still the coach after the 2012 debacle?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You ask me what I've seen in the last one + years?

1. DeCastro - will be a monster when he settles in
2. Adams - when they find a LT and move him to RT where he belongs
3. Wheatley - Impact this year when they work him into the rotation and BR gets some confidence in him.
4. Jones - blows up plays. Always has, and he did it in his first game. Remember Bucfan, no standup OLB really takes on a tackle straight up. They bullrush or run around him, or wait for the DE to tie him up. It is the Steeler way.
5. Golden is going to be very good, above average safety
6. You don't like Cortez Allen on the corner?

Just some.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
And Aldon Smith became just another guy when Justin Smith (their Aaron Smith) got hurt. He's not exactly running wild through blockers.

Aldon Smith posted 19.5 sacks and 66 tackles last year, 1.5 sacks and 5 tackles against the Packers in week 1.

He is so much better than Jarvis Jones that it is not a point worthy of debate. My point is that Aldon Smith and J.J. Watt are stars - guys who change the outcome of games.

Jarvis Jones is Jason Gildon, but 15 lbs. lighter. That is not what you want from a No. 17 pick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Jones was drafted 17th.

Smith and Watt are stars. Jones is not going to be that type of player, IMO. Not even close.

Tomlin and Colbert have had a series of poor and/or underperforming first round picks (Hood, Heyward, J. Jones, Mendenhall), and that is catching up to them.

Look, I hope I am wrong. You have little perception of how much I root for the Steelers, and how the Steelers and Penguins have kept me interested in sports the past 20 years.

But it is time to wake up and smell the coffee relative to the Steelers. They are not very good, and that is why they keep losing to the worst teams in the NFL.

Seriously, if the Steelers are actually good, then why is Tomlin still the coach after the 2012 debacle?

Because changing your coach after every bad season is not a preferable model? We are so spoiled that an 8-8 season is a debacle.

They have intertwined Super Bowl appearances alongside these losses to the worst teams in the NFL for years now. It's not a new thing as of last year.

And while Hood does suck, looking at the 32nd pick that year - there was basically no one good available in hindsight. Unless they seriously overdrafted Ray Rice (which in hindsight, yeah, but...no one was thinking that). I know that doesn't mean a thing as those are the players they have, but - I always feel that I have to note that.

I've been smelling this same coffee for years now. And before we pronounce Jarvis Jones as just another guy, do you remember Bustamalu?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Aldon Smith posted 19.5 sacks and 66 tackles last year, 1.5 sacks and 5 tackles against the Packers in week 1.

He is so much better than Jarvis Jones that it is not a point worthy of debate. My point is that Aldon Smith and J.J. Watt are stars - guys who change the outcome of games.

Jarvis Jones is Jason Gildon, but 15 lbs. lighter. That is not what you want from a No. 17 pick.

Take a look at what Aldon Smith did when Justin Smith got hurt. He's damn good, sure, but if you put Jones on that team, I don't doubt his sack numbers would look very good this year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Remember Bucfan, no standup OLB really takes on a tackle straight up. They bullrush or run around him, or wait for the DE to tie him up. It is the Steeler way.

ZM

Bullrush IS taking on the OT. Jones will try to bullrush and be stopped dead in his tracks.

James Harrison bullrushed OT's and ran over them. Got under their pads and threw them out of the way.

The fear of that happening keeps the OT from simply drifting to the outside to stop the speed rush.

Jones is not going to benefit from that skill and inducing that fear.

Look, fine, if you guys want me to piss sunshine and rainbows, okay. The same Steelers team that got ass-raped at home by a horrible Titans team, and that lost to the dregs of the NFL last year, is just loaded with talent.

If so, then why the @#$% does Mike Tomlin still have a job?

Get my point?