Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Build Your Rotation and Pen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:04 pm 

Bored at work today...doing some thinking about our pitching staff.

First, the rotation. I'll assume Maholm, Duke, and Snell are locks to open the year in the rotation. NH has also stated a desire to add a pitcher. That's 4 of 5 spots. You then have Gorzo, Ohlendorf, and Karstens. How do you build your rotation if you are the Bucs?

Second, the pen. I'll assume Capps, Grabow, Yates, and Burnett are locks (potential trades could change that I guess). Then we have Hansen who is out of options, Beam who is out of options, Ohlendorf if he doesn't win a rotation spot, Veal if we want to keep him, and Dumatrait who is out of options. Also in the mix would be Evan Meek. We have space for 3 more. Obviously, I wouldn't care if we lost Beam or Dumatrait, but I assume Hansen isn't going to be given away considering we just got him. I also think they will give Veal every chance to win a spot as a 3rd lefty out of the pen. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Build Your Rotation and Pen
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm 

Assuming nobody gets traded I predict 13 spots:

1. Snell - Contract dictates this
2. Maholm - No brainer
3. Open - ?
4. Gorzo - Crosses Fingers
5. Karstens - A proverbial 5th starter?

6. Capps - No brainer
7. Grabow - No brainer (trade bait)
8. Yates - No brainer
9. Burnett - Semi no brainer
10. Veal - Unless the wheels fall of in ST
11. Hansen - Gotta hide him somewhere
12. Ohlendorf - The bull pen makes more sense
13. Open - ?

I'll have to think about where Duke fits in the grand scheme of things.

Open slots to be filled with the winners of the ST dregs contest (Barthmeir, Meek, Chavez, Dumatrait et al.).

Not rushing guys like Lincoln, Morris, McCutchen etc.....

Would like to acquire a RH starter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 pm 

I'm not sure why Duke is being penciled in ahead of Gorzo. It's not like he pitched a whole lot better. If both are healthy, Gorzo is the better pitcher.

I look for D. Bautista to be in the bullpen mix. But there are a lot of pitchers left on the market, so I hope they don't stand pat with the bullpen they have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:27 pm 

Starters
1-Snell
2-Maholm
3-Gorzo
4-Karstens
5-McCutchen or Dumtrait

Bullpen
Capps
Yates
Grabow
Burnett
Hansen
Bautista
Ohlendorf or Dumtrait

It might be time for Duke to move on. I'd give Meek a little more time in Indy, though its getting time for McCutchen to prove he is something...If Dumtrait cant win a spot hopefully his injury risks last season will scare other teams from him...

I'd love to keep Dumtrait and keep 13 on the staff but a 4 man bench scares me especially since two of the spots is a backup catcher and Vazquez, and the other likely being Morgan and possibly Pearce or Cruz...depending on how fast Moss comes back from injury, or the possibility of Andrew McCutchen making the roster out of Spring Training...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:42 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I'm not sure why Duke is being penciled in ahead of Gorzo. It's not like he pitched a whole lot better. If both are healthy, Gorzo is the better pitcher.

I look for D. Bautista to be in the bullpen mix. But there are a lot of pitchers left on the market, so I hope they don't stand pat with the bullpen they have.

I pencil Duke in ahead of Gorzo, not necessarily because I think he is a better pitcher, but because Gorzo, I feel, could use some time in Indy to continue to improve his craft whereas with Duke, he is what he is...a high contact-rate pitcher who could be successful with a good defense because he keeps the ball in the yard and generally has ok control.

As for the pen, I think the last thing the pirates should be doing at this point is throwing more money at relievers. I also would personally like to see Tyler Yates gone, even if it means keeping Bautista. Personally, I think if we can get Veal to stick, he and Meek could make great setup guys for Capps in the near future. Then Burnett profiles as your LOOGY, Ohlendorf is in that mix, and then whatever 2 other guys you want to try in there (Sues, maybe). But of course, that is all in 2010 or later.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:26 am 

Starters
1-Maholm
2-Snell
3-Gorzo
4-McCutchen or Dumatrait
5-Duke

Bullpen
Capps
Yates
Grabow
Burnett
Hansen
Bautista or Karstens
Sues

Ohlendorf didn't impress me much, but I will take another look at him this spring since I don't remember any specific reasons why. Meek is not ready until he can throw a breaking pitch for a strike. Maybe we can hope Veal will get it done given a chance.

Man...This is a sad group with the exception of a few guys. Fail.