Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gerrit Cole's Improvement
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 pm 

Nice breakdown from Baseball Prospectus on Gerrit Cole's progress since coming up from the minors. He was pitching to contact earlier on, with (I believe) Russell Martin saying that he was coming out of the bullpen not feeling comfortable with the slider -- his main out pitch for the past few years.

He was okay from a IP/H/ER perspective, but we were definitely clamoring for more strikeouts and less of a 4-seam/2-seam combo. Seems like the slider's come back to him, and the K-rate has risen with it.

Get that changeup a bit more reliable in the offseason, make sure he doesn't lose the feel for his slider, and he could be in line for a big leap forward in his 2nd season I think.

http://bbp.cx/a/21713

Post subject: Re: Gerrit Cole's Improvement
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:07 pm 

I think he doesn't trust his off-speed stuff enough and tends to throw it off the plate. For him to realize his potential, he's going to have to drop that stuff in the zone (or a little below the zone) more consistently.

Post subject: Re: Gerrit Cole's Improvement
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:23 pm 

Cole was outstanding last night. I thinks its a sign of things to come with him. He has so much velocity on that fastball with movement to boot and he was spotting it. He also trusted his off speed stuff much more and for the most part located it a well.

There's no doubt the organization is tracking his innings but if you just check him out, the kid is stacked, like my pits in the back yard. His body is put together to endure it.