Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Other Bucco Boards?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:34 pm 

i'm a pretty active poster on a very active rams board, but haven't spent much time on bucco boards because, frankly, i wasn't particularly inspired to chat about an organization that didn't seem particularly interested in winning. but that was then and this is now. so when i finally went hunting for a buccos board this was the first one i came across, for whatever reason. and i'm very glad i did land here given some of the truly awesome bucco posters. but, candidly speaking, this board seems pretty quiet, especially considering what the buccos are doing. game day threads are a good example - we get a few pages going, the first cardinals board i came across had 18+ pages of game day chatter going. so is there a buccos "big board", a buccos board that clearly has the most traffic? i recently did a quick search and most of the bucco boards i came across seemed pretty quiet as well, nothing like other mlb boards i have seen. frankly i prefer smaller boards, especially smaller boards with great posters, such as this place.

Post subject: Re: Other Bucco Boards?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:43 pm 

tprothro wrote:
so is there a buccos "big board", a buccos board that clearly has the most traffic?

Onlybucs.net is another Pirates board that has been around for a while. Before coming here I posted there a bit. I would say daily it's less active than this one, but the game threads like you mentioned are generally longer, consistently in the 4-5+ page range. As a whole, it's mostly made up of total knowledgeable diehards, regular detailed discussion of the system as a whole (they even vote on their own top prospect list a couple times a year), as opposed to this one that has it's fair share of simply rah-rah, "go Pirates" comments (or the negative "we suck" posters during losing steaks), not that there's anything wrong with that diversity.

Bucs Dugout is the most active one I know, not a forum but a blog and comments are made on articles/game threads. Game threads regularly have 500+ comments. Also a ton of extremely knowledgeable fans/commenters there. It's also just a really solid blog in general, has been around since the mid-2000s when there were barely any other Pirates fan content on the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 pm 

Even last year, pre-collapse, this board was a lot more active....game threads were lengthy and detailed (and fun!), and when things were rolling in July 2012 this place was hopping. Then the collapse came, and guys started to turn on each other...some left...and (imho) it hasn't been the same since. Maybe life just got in the way, as it has a habit of doing.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:00 pm 

A lot of people post on the newspapers' websites.

Personally I like a slower board, although this one does get too slow at times. On a real busy board, there is just too much information, and too many opinions.

I like to think that this board is a little more intelligent and a little more civilized than the average.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:12 pm 

I think it has more to do with the fan following. When did the internet go global, 1999? Seriously, I have no idea. The bucs organization hasn't fielded a winner in 20 years so while the Pittsburgh pirates have a great storied franchise it hasn't been lately.

I tried to track down where you got those cardinal comments a couple games ago and decided to go with some site called viva loss cardinals or something like that.

This is by far the best buccos board around and certainly the most knowledgeable. Since I've been here i've learned much more about pirate history, the organization below the big club, hardly ever payed attention to prospects and I'm starting to trust stats more, fan graphs and such.

And thanks again for the updated standings broken down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
I think it has more to do with the fan following. When did the internet go global, 1999? Seriously, I have no idea. The bucs organization hasn't fielded a winner in 20 years so while the Pittsburgh pirates have a great storied franchise it hasn't been lately.

Contrary to this point, I think the Pirates fan community actually has a massive internet presence. Actually, I've never seen another team's that was similar, although I'm sure there might be a few out there.

There are a lot of really great, respectable sites/blogs/forums that have been around for years, obviously during the losing streak like mentioned. I have been reading Bucs Dugout since 2006 or so, fellow sites like WHYGVS popped up not long after, both this and the Onlybucs forums have been around for probably approaching a decade, I have never seen another team have a site that is anything close to the all-encompassing PiratesProspects.com which even published annual books on the team's prospects and state of the farm system, etc. Combine that with a few of the newer ones like the social media saturation and Rumbunter (in which the actual team has even commented on some of the Pirates photoshops they do) and there is no shortage of Pirates fan involvement or community on the internet.