Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You know who I miss on days like this?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:19 pm 

I kinda miss that one poster whose name started with Bulli and ended with shitter.

He's probably cracking open a bottle of Dom with his buddy Bob Nutting up at their chateau in seven springs to celebrate.

Ah well, I say we keep the $50...

Post subject: Re: You know who I miss on days like this?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:26 pm 

BBF wrote:
I kinda miss that one poster whose name started with Bulli and ended with shitter.

He's probably cracking open a bottle of Dom with his buddy Bob Nutting up at their chateau in seven springs to celebrate.

He probably wet himself lastnight outside of Primanti Brothers...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 pm 

Why do you not return to the public forum where you excoriated the franchise relentlessly, to voice your joy at their 2013 results so far, and to compliment an organization that now has legitimate, relevant young talent in the minors along with a productive and talented major league roster?

Seriously, BH's endless hammering on Nutting was tiresome, but I thought he genuinely liked the Pirates and the Pirates' franchise.

So where the hell is he, and others of his ilk??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Why do you not return to the public forum where you excoriated the franchise relentlessly, to voice your joy at their 2013 results so far, and to compliment an organization that now has legitimate, relevant young talent in the minors along with a productive and talented major league roster?

Seriously, BH's endless hammering on Nutting was tiresome, but I thought he genuinely liked the Pirates and the Pirates' franchise.

So where the hell is he, and others of his ilk??

CIA?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:32 pm 

I don't know where he is and I don't want to know. That guy was terrible for the board. Seeing this post makes me afraid that you will draw him out of hiding.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:43 pm 

No fear of that Ralphie, as I believe he (and his subsequent user name- estrago) were banned.

Quite frankly, there are folks here now that I find even more tiresome than he was.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:04 pm 

There are always going to be posters whose opinions you don't really care about. I kind of skip over those posts. But that guy (and I think he went from Gary to BullisHitter to Estrago) just killed all reasonable discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm 

Gary was the worst and BH/Estro was a close second ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:27 pm 

BBF wrote:

If we all weren't such filthy stinking enablers they'd have clinched the division already.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:32 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
If we all weren't such filthy stinking enablers they'd have clinched the division already.

We, as Pirates fans, should have walked out and boycotted all things Pirates, to force the team to fire Neil Huntington, who has overseen the evisceration of this once proud franchise from a blindingly dull 67-95 team with extremely limited major league talent, ZERO pitching, and ZERO young talent into a team that has won 57, 72, 79, 81 and counting, with superior young major league talent, great pitching, and a superb minor league system.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm 

I slammed Huntington for specific poor moves and results, but I always thought his general process was the right one. Until this season, he struggled with big league free agent signings and trades. He really improved that for 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:12 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I slammed Huntington for specific poor moves and results, but I always thought his general process was the right one. Until this season, he struggled with big league free agent signings and trades. He really improved that for 2013.

Yeah, those McLouth and Nady deals were real stinkers.

He took big risks with his early deals, and they didn't work out for him. Now he doesn't have to take big risks when he makes a deal. That's pretty much the difference, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

He took big risks with his early deals, and they didn't work out for him. Now he doesn't have to take big risks when he makes a deal. That's pretty much the difference, I think.

Yeah no reason to knock the trades. They're naturally going to wind up about 50/50....it's not like you're getting value without giving up something of value yourself.

Tough to go out and get free agents when all you're offering are 2 year deals...that's pretty much going to attract guys on their last legs or guys coming off bad years/injuries who other teams won't touch. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, but he wasn't really in a situation to get himself into big, long-term deals.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I think he made some risky moves like that before, because deep down he knew we weren't "there" quite yet. He brought in some veterans and hoped they might revive their careers and provide some veteran presence. They didn't of course, but they also didn't slow down the growth or block any young guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:59 pm 

Let's not pretend that Huntington didn't trade for guys like Aki Iwamura and Robinzon Diaz, give Ramon Vazquez $4 million, and generally sign a bunch of awful veteran players before 2013. My criticisms of those moves are not any less valid after Huntington's 2013 successes. I said all along that he needed to improve his Major League acquisitions; not coincidentally, the year he did so the Pirates are in contention.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:27 am 

He signed the exact type of player he always had. Just was fortunate enough that guys who had poor years or injury issues bounced back. Certain folks were pretty darn vocal about hating the Martin and Liriano signings when they happened. They weren't locks to be anything special. Liriano accepted $1M guaranteed he was so desperate.

Like I said, he hit on trades and whiffed on trades. He had some older, risky veterans pan out and some who didn't. Basically, he was a rebuilding small market GM.

If he's signing guys in their prime to huge deals, bash away, but the only guys who are going to take such short deals (in order to not block the young guys who will actually be around in the window) are guys who have no other options....often for a reason.

He accomplished his goal....signed placeholders where we needed them and didn't block a single prospect or tie up payroll with an albatross contract at any point in the process. Huge for this franchise when it comes to free agency in 2 years or so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:39 am 

If only we had held on to Jesse Chavez instead of giving him up for taking a chance on Iwamura when we had no second baseman. 81 might have came a lot sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:41 am 

BBF wrote:

Ahhh the bad old days. What was that, 10 years ago plus? The same old negative, repetitive garbage. Oh the debates we had on that board. What a clown.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 am 

TheShark wrote:
If only we had held on to Jesse Chavez instead of giving him up for taking a chance on Iwamura when we had no second baseman. 81 might have came a lot sooner.

Interesting to compare who the better pitcher in recent years was between Liriano and Bedard, too. It's Bedard, no contest....yet Liriano is the one who blows up for us and Bedard falls apart. Go figure.

I like NH, but not sure you can chalk that up to much more than luck finally breaking our way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:00 am 

FWIW I hope it's known that I was being sarcastic with that Chavez/Iwamura line. Yeah, Iwamura was a total flop, but I really see no point in harping on that trade as such a gigantic black mark on Huntington's resume considering what was given up to acquire him - a reliever who has posted an ERA higher than 5 about 6 times in his career. And with Freddy Sanchez traded in the '09 firing sale it's not like taking a shot on Iwamura as a stopgap bridge to Walker isn't a textbook early rebuilding stage type of move a GM might make.

I'm with you re: Bedard/Liriano though. I was a big proponent of the Bedard signing (though was also in favor of retaining Maholm that year). It was obviously a gamble due to his health but I didn't anticipate him falling off like he did. Considering Correia (there's something I'll criticize ... the 2 year/$9 million contract IIRC was a joke) had been the biggest SP signing to complement the beginning of a new era after relying on the pitch-to-contact SPers, Duke/Snell/Gorzo/Ohlendorf take your pick, the gamble to acquire pitchers who could actually strike people out in Burnett and Bedard was extremely appealing. I was neutral on Liriano but loved it on the basis of depth since there are obviously always depth issues with Karstens and I had serious doubts about Morton (glad to be wrong there).