Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How will you take in #82?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:53 pm 

Look, it's finally happening. Maybe in two days, or maybe a few days after, but it's finally going to happen. So don't go crying about 'jinxes' and such.

This being the case, how are you planning to take in, enjoy, celebrate or otherwise finally gain satsifaction knowing that the Bucs will have cracked .500 for the first time in 20 years?

Post subject: Re: How will you take in #82?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:56 pm 

As for myself...

I have a bottle of 151 that I will take shots from and I will finally have good reason to enjoy one of those expensive Cognac-dipped Cigars I've been saving. I may partake in a special meal, too, but I'm undecided... a good steak, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:45 pm 

I will be at work, on Wednesday, finalizing a 300-page opposing separate statement, rooting on the Buccos, and rooting for a 97-inning death march in the Cardinals-Reds series.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:12 pm 

Nothing. We have an opportunity for more. I want more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

This times 1,000,000.
But I'll be in STL for all 3 games next weekend and looking forward to a lot of fun. Actually, I have saved a bottle of Madhouse Imperial Stout (stout aged in a Templeton Rye barrell) that I intended to open up when they got to 82 but I'll be traveling all week so I doubt that I will be able to drink it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:45 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

Exactly. 82 is better than 80, but making post season should/ has always been the goal...and I'm with you BB...I want more!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

While we all want more, I think not celebrating the game that makes the first winning season in 20 years would be doing us a disservice. Most of us watched a LOT of bad baseball in those 20 years.

I for one will indeed celebrate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 pm 

I don't think there's anything wrong with recognizing the Bucs made it past 81. It doesn't mean our expectations aren't beyond that, but let's face it: it's perfectly human to at least breathe a sigh of relief and fist-pump when it happens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:21 pm 

I have a unique bottle in the cellar, unique because its the only 92 year I own. I'm sure they can be bought. I'm considering opening it for 82 for a drink and filing it out for the first playoff game with friends and family.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 am 

I'll be on here for the game.

Thanks to all on UPPMB for helping me enjoy last season (most of it anyway) and this historic year. Even with 82 staring us squarely in the face, it is still all I want for the season and the playoffs will simply be the dessert. Looking forward to a fun week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 am 

You better believe I'll be celebrating. Probably won't go overboard but at least a few drinks and a shot.

The goal right now is a division title but that's not going to get in the way of celebrating this significant milestone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:27 am 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
Actually, I have saved a bottle of Madhouse Imperial Stout (stout aged in a Templeton Rye barrell) that I intended to open up when they got to 82 but I'll be traveling all week so I doubt that I will be able to drink it.

I'll be savoring Templeton Rye on the rocks. I know 82 is a stepping stone but it is still a huge number in my opinion. I'll be thrilled to get 82 out of the way.

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:27 pm 

I'll have a smile on for that monkey's departure. Pennant brings the real party.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:03 pm 

i plan to greet 82 wins with an eye-roll, a slow, sarcastic clap, and an "it's about fuc#$%% time" mutterance. celebrate? not me. in fact i would be embarrassed as a buccos fan if the pnc scoreboard flashed 82-wins and fireworks lit up the sky, i would think the players would be embarrassed as well. my motto, screw 82!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

tprothro wrote:
i plan to greet 82 wins with an eye-roll, a slow, sarcastic clap, and an "it's about fuc#$%% time" mutterance. celebrate? not me. in fact i would be embarrassed as a buccos fan if the pnc scoreboard flashed 82-wins and fireworks lit up the sky, i would think the players would be embarrassed as well. my motto, screw 82!

Not me. This is sports. This is entertainment. We've suffered for decades. Kind of like the old saying goes, you don't know where you're going if you don't know where you've been. I know the Buccos have been awful for 20 years. I'm not a player, I'm a fan. I'll celebrate this milestone. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:53 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
tprothro wrote:

Not me. This is sports. This is entertainment. We've suffered for decades. Kind of like the old saying goes, you don't know where you're going if you don't know where you've been. I know the Buccos have been awful for 20 years. I'm not a player, I'm a fan. I'll celebrate this milestone. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Completely agree. I was 18 when we got Breamed. I've spent my entire adult life watching bad baseball and have never stopped loving this franchise. Damn right I'll smile widely and enjoy the moment with a nice celebration.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:16 pm 

i would be the first in line to celebrate 82 wins if we were talking about a pirates organization that has been committed to putting a quality team on the field during the past 20 years, and competitive teams that fought hard during this drought but, because of bad luck, injury, etc., continued to come up short. but that's not the case imo - to me the 82-win milestone is nothing more than a reminder of the poor management, incompetence and utter lack of commitment bucs fans have had to endure for far too long. as such, getting past .500 doesn't strike me as a champagne popping event, it strikes me as an "it's about fuc#@@ time" event, especially considering that managing a few wins above .500 is a pedestrian feat at best. granted, bucco fans haven't had a lot to cheer about for quite some time, so if 82 wins fills a void, all the power, wished it worked for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:38 pm 

tprothro wrote:
i would be the first in line to celebrate 82 wins if we were talking about a pirates organization that has been committed to putting a quality team on the field during the past 20 years, and competitive teams that fought hard during this drought but, because of bad luck, injury, etc., continued to come up short. but that's not the case imo - to me the 82-win milestone is nothing more than a reminder of the poor management, incompetence and utter lack of commitment bucs fans have had to endure for far too long. as such, getting past .500 doesn't strike me as a champagne popping event, it strikes me as an "it's about fuc#@@ time" event, especially considering that managing a few wins above .500 is a pedestrian feat at best. granted, bucco fans haven't had a lot to cheer about for quite some time, so if 82 wins fills a void, all the power, wished it worked for me.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. In general .500 sucks and should never be anybody's goal. But we're talking about the longest streak in sports history. Just being extra happy that it's over in way excuses the general patheticness of the past. But the past is over and it can't be changed so I'm just going to let out a nice sigh of relief and savor it for one day. My hopes for this team are much higher than that though, so once it's over the real work begins for the Bucs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:42 pm 

The only reason, in my mind, as to why 82 is important - have to get to 82 to reach 95.

I think it will take 95 wins to take the Division. The requires the Pirates to go 15-10 in their last 25.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:34 pm 

I'm not saying the Pirates should be making a big deal of it. Absolutely not. I'm saying as a fan who has suffered through all 20 years, I will celebrate.

None or nearly none of the people currently or previously employed by the team have suffered through all those years. But we have.

If you are harboring bitterness toward all those employees, past and present, who have contributed to the streak, that is your right, but that's not a sentiment that I share.

All those people were doing what they thought was right at the time. Things just didn't work out for them. Until now.