Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixed feelings about McClatchy leaving for good
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 am 

I must say I have some sadness in my heart that Kevin McClatchy has severed all ties with the team he helped rescue over a decade ago. I still remember the white knight riding in to save the team, who had a vision of getting a baseball only park built.

I have fond memories of him during that wonderful, whacky '97 Freak Show. I can still see him leaping to his feet as if on a string as Mark Smith's bat connected in the bottom of the 10th on that memorable night in July.

I remember him being interviewed on the national tv broadcast about the team and his dream of the new park.

"Hey Mr. McClatchy, wanna trade seats?"

And most of all, I will recall the owner of a Major League Baseball franchise who called me in person to return the phone call of just one more pissed off fan.

BUT:

I don't think I have ever told this story, but three years ago a Houston sports talk host let me on to talk baseball and vent about the Bucs.

He told me a story, that he had a friend who was a very big name in sports consulting. He was hired (or contracted I can't recall) by the Bucs. He analyzed the situation and made three major proposals to McClatchy about the direction of the team and what the franchise needed to be successful.

He reported that McClatchy's conversation demonstated that he was utterly clueless about the business of baseball and in way over his head as a professional owner. McClatchy thanked the man and told him there was no way his proposals could ever be implemented.

Post subject: Re: Mixed feelings about McClatchy leaving for good
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:00 am 

I had a little league team at " the Mexican connection" and Mark Smith game...parents too. Most tickets were donated by friends and coworkers.

Clatch was a good thing and exciting, but didn't get the baseball descisions right.

I wish he would have stayed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:33 am 

Each person contributes in one way or another. McClatchy kept this team in Pittsburgh and he had the greatest ballpark in baseball built. For that, I am forever grateful. Sure wish he would have turned the team over to Nutting much sooner, but still...

Thank you Mr. McClatchy for saving baseball in the 'burgh. Many blessings on your new direction.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:49 am 

When McClatchy bought the team it was good news because the Pirates may have left Pittsburgh. However he didnt have nearly enough capital to buy the team and the Nutting family was a major investor and been involved as a major influence since that time. McClatchy was the front man and he deserves plenty of blame for the pathetic teams given to fans year after year. His comments about how a new stadium would be needed to be competitive is the highlight of PR BS that comes from this organization. The Nutting "accountability" is another pile of PR garbage. But many of you will keep buying into whatever they say and whoever says it because its the Pittsburgh Pirates. They tell you what you want to hear. To be as pathetic for as long as this organization has been and to trust how they say they want to win when their actions indicate otherwise is when your love or emotions cloud your judgement. Given the structure of MLB and the market the Pirates are in, if I was an investor, I'd run the team the same way. But as a consumer of this product, it should be avoided. You should not be rewarded for a pathetic product yet Pirate ownership laughs all the way to the bank while fans cry as the losing years roll on & on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 pm 

WOW! There's a new spin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:31 pm 

I give him credit for keeping the team in Pittsburgh and getting the ballpark built, but he deserves the lion's share of the blame for this record-setting losing streak.

He hired Bonifay and kept him too long. He hired Littlefield and kept him too long. And he himself stayed on too long, long after he had proven that he was not the right man for the job.

Thanks and good riddance.