Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates acquire Morneau
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Why is everyone assuming that Morneau will end up as a rental?

Obviously his contract is up after this year, but he's only 32, the Bucs need a 1B, the market for his type is thin and the last time the Bucs landed a quality 1B like him via trade (Derrek Lee) they tried to re-sign him in the offseason, but were rejected. Plus, GFJ's time as a Bucco seems to be coming to a close...

Why are we putting it past this FO to have traded for someone who can not only help this year, but in following years?

I'm assuming that Morneau will end up as a rental because I'm assuming that Huntington isn't a stupid jackass.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I'm assuming that Morneau will end up as a rental because I'm assuming that Huntington isn't a stupid jackass.

Obviously JM's skills have begun to erode and plenty of people have broken down his stat lines for comparison(s), but why would he be such a poor option for next year (and a year or two beyond)?

He's basically Gaby, only he hits RHPs instead of LHPs.

If we're going to break down the erosion of JM's skills, we should equally break down the thin market of quality 1B's, of which Morneau would be among the cream of the crop.

So long as he isn't offered double-digit salary for an obscene amount of time, why isn't Morneau an option?

Say... and I'm just making up #'s here, but... 3 yrs/$21 M (maybe even with the third year being a team option)? Would that be terrible for someone like Morneau?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Obviously JM's skills have begun to erode and plenty of people have broken down his stat lines for comparison(s), but why would he be such a poor option for next year (and a year or two beyond)?

He's basically Gaby, only he hits RHPs instead of LHPs.

If we're going to break down the erosion of JM's skills, we should equally break down the thin market of quality 1B's, of which Morneau would be among the cream of the crop.

So long as he isn't offered double-digit salary for an obscene amount of time, why isn't Morneau an option?

Say... and I'm just making up #'s here, but... 3 yrs/$21 M (maybe even with the third year being a team option)? Would that be terrible for someone like Morneau?

Yes.

I wouldn't make him an offer at all, because he seems like a nice guy and I wouldn't want to insult him needlessly. But, just between you and me, I think he's worth maybe $4M for one year, and that is probably stretching it.