Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bucs Acquire Morneau
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:55 pm 

It's truly astounding how much this farm system has been built up over the last five years that two arms throwing in the upper 90s, one of which had scouts clamoring that he was being groomed as the "closer of the future" (Vic Black and Duke Welker) would be dealt in these kind of rental acquisitions. Being big on Herrera despite him being pure project-ability due to age, I still think it was a slight overpay on Byrd. The Morneau deal is just kind of there for me. It was fun when Presley teased that he might not be an AAAA-archetype two years ago, but his skill set has been drastically exposed at the ML-level. No loss at all, especially with Tabata's consistent play of late, Lambo's season, and most significantly Polanco's ETA being possibly even the middle of next season. Black was the better prospect than Welker, hence being involved in the better return with Byrd's career year. Easy to forget that Welker actually came from Littlefield's final draft and will be 28 by the time next season starts. In the end the losses are not only a testament to the surplus of arms the system has built up, but also Huntington's uber-impressive track record of constructing bullpens through unorthodox resources, such as scrapheap FA reclamation projects with Dotel/Hanrahan/Grilli.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:25 am 

I am just glad we now have OF'ers that we can get rid of.....NH gets props for making deals and I personally don't think we gave up that much....I am also just glad we are finally in a pennant race and have the resources to supplement it....now we shall see... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:14 am 

If you check your MLB Stats, Justin Morneau is the 14th rated first baseman in hitting and the No. 2 rated defensive 1B at .997 and he is also second in Range Factor at .969 - many 1B are in the .800s. I expect that he will flourish at PNC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:33 am 

Anyone see his letter to twins fans? Class act. Glad he is a bucco.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:58 pm 

I am a huge fan of both trades.

Herrera has a lot of upside but he is also a project and very far away from the majors. He also wasn't a top 10 prospect in our system in my opinion. Byrd is having an all star caliber season. When Marte is healthy the Pirates will arguably have one of the best outfields in the majors.

The Morneau deal is a no brainer. Great guy to have in the clubhouse and he is known for heating up to close out the season.

The Pirates managed to get solid everyday players without giving up anyone I liked a lot. I'm very happy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:09 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
They didn't rob the Twins. A month of Morneau just isn't worth very much.

And a month of Presley is? I'll take my chances with Morneau over Alex.

They didn't get a month of Presley. He's arbitration eligible. Morneau's contract is done.