Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Must disagree with DK on MLB Network
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:24 pm 

In his blog today, he fielded a question on the network and he stated that it would probably be great for Boston and New York fans. I have watched the network quite a bit thus far and nothing could be further from the truth. They just finished a great piece on Tim Lincecum and his unusual delivery and unorthodox methods. He has never iced his arm. His Dad taught him his mechanics and has never endorsed ice other than "in his drinks", as Lincecum commented. Al Leiter did a great analysis of his motion. Right now they are doing a bit on managers. They did a piece last night where Harold Reynolds, Leiter and Joe Magraine were put in the position of GM's for the Bucs, Padres and another team, which I can't recall, and they were to say what they would do for one big move for the team.

This is a fun network for major league fans. Check it out.

Post subject: Re: Must disagree with DK on MLB Network
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:40 pm 

I was thinking this exact thing just the other day.. I can see Red Sox & Yankees fans not liking this network. If it's anything like the NHL Network we'll be seeing live look ins of every game and coverage will be evenly spread out. (Oh my gosh.. Hazel Mae is mighty easy on the eyes.) Meanwhile I'm watching the Habs try to hold off the Rangers on NHL Network right now..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 pm 

Might be the straw that broke this camel's back and finally convinces me to dump Comcast.

As if I need to spend any more time on the couch...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 pm 

The couch is a magic land. Especially in HD.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:56 pm 

Is there any doubt at this point that Dejan is a waste of space? Really? When I read other beat writers for other teams on the internet it makes me furious that we're saddled with this hack.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:26 am 

My only problem with him is his tendency to look down his nose at anything outside of western Pa. Of course this was evident while he was the Penguins beat guy too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:39 am 

Kingston wrote:
Is there any doubt at this point that Dejan is a waste of space? Really? When I read other beat writers for other teams on the internet it makes me furious that we're saddled with this hack.

Just a quick history lesson for you Kingston. DK is one of the founders of this board. He left when he took the Pirates beat.

It's not to say you can't criticize him. Many long time members do. But as many can testify, his passion for the Pirates is second to none. It probably interferes with his job at times.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:25 am 

BBF wrote:
Might be the straw that broke this camel's back and finally convinces me to dump Comcast.

I'd love it if there were a television provider more attractive than Comcast and the rest of it's ilk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 am 

I will watch more of MLB than the NFL. There has to be a lot of stuff like Larsen's game that no one got too see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:29 am 

Willton wrote:
BBF wrote:

I'd love it if there were a television provider more attractive than Comcast and the rest of it's ilk.

Verizon Fios is quite nice, but I also have DirecTV as well. As a Home Electronics installer, I have to "test" all of the new systems. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:26 am 
 WWW  Profile

And DK said he regularly checks in and reads this board, he just can't post.

I for one think the Post-Gazette's coverage of the Pirates has become fantastic compared to what it was pre-DK.

11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:45 am 

Yes I do like DK as the beat writer because he takes mostly an objective approach. The last thing we need is someone is pulling the company line, or an overly pessimistic fan constantly ragging on the Pirates. That is primarily the reason I disliked and questioned Smizik's writing. To be fair to Smizik, he wasn't the beat writer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:15 pm 

Kingston wrote:

Kingston -
You reach an opinion here but don't really give us any basis for the conclusion. Az has on more than one occassion indicated that he doesn't care for DK "poor mouthing" other areas of the country that aren't Pittsburgh. I'm curious to know more why you would consider DK to be a "hack." (A) What is a "hack" in your mind as far as beat writers are concerned?; (B) Why does DK fit that definition?; and (C) What would you like to see him do which would take the "hack" label off of him?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Kingston -
You reach an opinion here but don't really give us any basis for the conclusion. Az has on more than one occassion indicated that he doesn't care for DK "poor mouthing" other areas of the country that aren't Pittsburgh. I'm curious to know more why you would consider DK to be a "hack." (A) What is a "hack" in your mind as far as beat writers are concerned?; (B) Why does DK fit that definition?; and (C) What would you like to see him do which would take the "hack" label off of him?

When I labeled him a hack I was unaware of his history with the Board and some of its posters. I will respect them enough to not take this any further.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:14 pm 

I can't compare him to guys from other cities, but in this town, DK is the best I've ever seen, and I've been reading the sports pages since about 1970.