Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:04 pm
Posts: 571
Location: Way too far from Pittsburgh.....
...and Belly To Belly!!

Welcome back Mr. Jones.... 8-) 8-) 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Since there's no game thread I'll just post this here ...

Not to take anything away from his great game defensively tonight (which is the norm), but it would be nice if people would now stop the "Barmes has hit better of late/in the second half" talk. Yes, that was true in the second half last year, and Barmes hit well for a short stretch in his bench role since Mercer was initially given the bulk of the starts.

Overall though, he's now hitting .179 over his last ten games and .220 post-All Star break. Those are bad even by Barmes's usual numbers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:27 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2126
Give a little, take a little with Barmes. There's little chance Mercer makes those plays in the hole against runners with speed. He was awesome defensively.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
Barmes defense makes up for his offense, though I am not sure what happens if he plays every day and swings the bat every day. Won't be great, but the case can be made he is the best defensive SS right now.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
ZelieMike wrote:
Barmes defense makes up for his offense, though I am not sure what happens if he plays every day and swings the bat every day. Won't be great, but the case can be made he is the best defensive SS right now.


He is the best defensive SS handily, no doubt, and wasn't making a point about his value weighing the bat vs. the defense. Just that a lot of times for those suggesting he needs more starts over Mercer, they like to include that even Barmes's offense has been improved recently another incentive, and that hasn't been the case since July.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Pittsburgh
TheShark wrote:
Since there's no game thread I'll just post this here ...

Not to take anything away from his great game defensively tonight (which is the norm), but it would be nice if people would now stop the "Barmes has hit better of late/in the second half" talk. Yes, that was true in the second half last year, and Barmes hit well for a short stretch in his bench role since Mercer was initially given the bulk of the starts.

Overall though, he's now hitting .179 over his last ten games and .220 post-All Star break. Those are bad even by Barmes's usual numbers.

If you think that .220 is bad by Barme's usual numbers, you missed the first half.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10741
With the current Pirates' roster, they can 100% afford to have Barmes in the line-up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
sisyphus wrote:
If you think that .220 is bad by Barme's usual numbers, you missed the first half.


Actually, .220 was also the exact BA he posted in the first half. My emphasis was on how bad he had been on the recent stretch over the past few weeks, because he's actually now down to .206 in the second half.

Not that the point is really worth nitpicking. I'm in favor of Mercer getting a lot of starts down the stretch, and also have no qualms with the people saying Barmes should get more time in due to the defense. But as recently as a few days ago I still heard some people making "plus his bat has been better of late ..." comments. That began and ended in July. He's hitting .152 in August.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Back To Back....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:31 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6292
Back to Back, Belly to Belly.......West Coast Cult figure Jerry Riopelle....seemed fitting.... 8-) Don't normally post less that pretty good audio so my apologies........


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits