Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scooter Gennett
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:18 pm 

I must admit I wish the Pirates had a player like Scooter Gennett , this kid has a Pete Rose attitude which I don't think any of the Pirates have.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Looking back on Pirate history we have had such players, Don Hoak, Bill Matlock, Richie Hebner, Phil Garner. I just don't see any current player that fits that mold.

Sometime Cutch looks like he could be but after watching him again last night when he could have a inside park HR I have my doubts.

Martin possible at one point, but his best days are behind him.

We need a play maker!!!

Post subject: Re: Scooter Gennett
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:17 pm 

Chris76 wrote:
Tell me if I'm wrong.

I would say you're wrong in the sense that you wouldn't be praising Gennett for his perceived hustle/drive/attitude/whatever if he wasn't simultaneously performing excellently like he currently is statistically (not to mention going 3-4 against the Pirates last night). So, it seems to me that you're really praising the results he's putting up which is hitting the ball extremely well, but using something arbitrary like his attitude to disguise it and say that none of the Pirates players have that trait for some reason.

"Hustle" or insert whatever adjective you'd like never trumps skill, and if Gennett was hitting .260 I have my doubts that this thread would be made praising his hustle. And, just like the contingent of fans who used to (falsely) criticize Pedro Alvarez for laziness or his weight, you won't hear similar things when he's hitting 30+ HRs like he has the last two years or going on a hot stretch where he carries the offense.

Case in point, Gennett is from Cincinnati, where I reside. Over the last decade, I have noticed that Reds fans take a quick liking to players like you are doing with Gennett, say he has Pete Rose-like qualities, etc. They become fan favorites due to the hustle, but once their numbers normalize, people realize "hustle" may be admirable but the skills aren't there. Two specific players I'm referring to are the late Ryan Freel and Adam Rosales.

And, finally, there is no current Pirate who I thinks lacks a positive/winning attitude or doesn't give it their all on the field.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:52 pm 

Pete Rose deserves to be in the Hall. One tough mother fucker with the skill to back it up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:47 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Pete Rose deserves to be in the Hall. One tough mother fucker with the skill to back it up.

And the stupidity to break a rule that was posted on every single clubhouse wall he ever dressed in.

Great player. Total skunk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:

And the stupidity to break a rule that was posted on every single clubhouse wall he ever dressed in.

Great player. Total skunk.

Each profession has it's cardinal rules, the rule that cannot ever, ever, ever be broken. For teachers, the cardinal rule is no affairs with students. For sports it's betting on the game. And Rose broke it.