Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nationals Looking To Trade Espinosa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 am 

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/8/28/4 ... nd-baseman

Buy low kind of deal and it may save money over bringing back Barmes next season.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Nationals Looking To Trade Espinosa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:56 am 

On paper, he would be a great acquisition. He's actually solid at shortstop and he has speed and power.

However, he has a serious shoulder injury for which he refused surgery. I believe he'll end up getting surgery, which will put him out for a year. The injury risk scares me away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Strikes out more than Pedro - may be worth a shot but man, this lineup will strike out an f-ton with Espinosa in it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:13 am 

Worth it if they think he can play SS. Otherwise, just roll with Walker.

Espinosa is all over the place with his UZR at this point. Even Mercer's SSS was in-line with his current metric so I have no clue what to expect of Espinosa there as he was slightly negative and then WAY postive. Huge difference.

But there's no reason to bring in Espinsosa if he's a bench guy who plays 2B primarily, as the biggest attributes he brings (middle infield pop and baserunning) would be underutilized backing up Walker.

He could do some damage for us at SS though, if he can play. A solid glove and baserunning threat would be a big positive for this team. Mercer's bat is solid but not good enough to make up for the defense at this point.

Get Espinsosa at SS, Walker at 2B, Mercer as a utility guy who spells Alvarez or Walker against lefties, and you have a really solid middle infield.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:09 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Get Espinsosa at SS, Walker at 2B, Mercer as a utility guy who spells Alvarez or Walker against lefties, and you have a really solid middle infield.

I could live with that.

Other than Josh Harrison (.467/.467/.800), Mercer hits lefties better than anyone on the team as his .406/.458/.656 slash line indicates. While I am not a huge fan of taking the bat out of Pedro's hands late innings versus a lefty (can't be good on the psyche), I would favor a platoon role for Alvarez, and Mercer's proved he belongs at this level. That option would provide a great deal of tactical flexibility for Hurdle, and even if it proves above him (a la the number of righties that Sanchez faces would seem to indicate), it's not like Mercer sucks vs right handers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am 

I live just outside of D.C. and I'm good friends with a lot of Nationals fans. They firmly believe that Espinosa is an above-average defensive shortstop, as he has the range and the arm... when healthy. I warn you that he may require rotator cuff surgery on his non-throwing arm. He's been battling the injury all year long.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 am 

val wrote:
That option would provide a great deal of tactical flexibility for Hurdle,

Which is akin to providing a great deal of enriched uranium to a toddler.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 pm 

Purely a hunch, but it would be surprise me a bit of someone like Espinosa was brought in. Just thinking hypothetically, it seems to me that there might be a bit of a shift in thinking by Huntington as they ride out the last year of Barmes's contract this year that the post-Jack Wilson era of FA acquisitions in the vein of Cedeno/Barmes era might be coming to an end. I could be wrong. If Huntington's mid-season quotes regarding Mercer being a legitimate starting SS option next year held any weight as opposed to just being modest media soundbites then it wouldn't surprise me to see him break camp as the SS. Granted it would probably come equipped with a Crosby/Vasquez/McDonald-esque back-up/utility signing unless they actually gave someone like Harrison the back-up role (don't laugh, Hurdle did so the second half of last year even with Mercer on the roster).