Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For the Phillips/Baker haters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 pm 

There has been a lot of talk about "eating crow" around here lately as there is just a month left in the regular season ... I will do that for some of my defenses of Brandon Phillips. In general, living here in Cincinnati, I just see the guy as someone who has fun playing the game. I always considered it an overreaction when fans just automatically considered a showboat, etc.

But, I will never defend the guy again after this: http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-bas ... n-reporter

Video in the link, but to recap, he repeatedly calls a beat reporter a "fat motherf**ker" when he takes exception with the reporter's analysis about his OBP while Dusty Baker just sits there with an idiot grin on his face.

Post subject: Re: For the Phillips/Baker haters
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:18 pm 

Shockingly, Jay Bruce is hitting right behind Joey Votto tonight and has 5 RBIs. Brandon Phillips is batting 2nd and has no RBIs. Both guys are 2-4. As has been shown in statistics, Brandon Phillips is a product of hitting behind Votto and Choo. Take out the opportunities and he's just another guy who is hitting with a .740 OPS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:22 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Shockingly, Jay Bruce is hitting right behind Joey Votto tonight and has 5 RBIs. Brandon Phillips is batting 2nd and has no RBIs. Both guys are 2-4. As has been shown in statistics, Brandon Phillips is a product of hitting behind Votto and Choo. Take out the opportunities and he's just another guy who is hitting with a .740 OPS.

Yep. Phillips doesn't change his approach at all to hitting when there are no runners on base versus when there are runners on base. #doesn'tfitthethesissomustignore

And, by the way, for the first time ever on this Board, I will type "small sample size." Wow. That felt great. Maybe now I will have some SABR street cred.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:33 am 

I mean, aside from the fact that Jay Bruce is right behind Brandon Phillips in RBIs yet Brandon Phillips is "Mr. Clutch", yeah it's total small sample size to point out that Bruce is still racking up RBIs while Phillips isn't when he's not behind Votto.

Honestly though, screw Russell Martin. He can slow things down and force himself to get hits in clutch situations but he's not doing it lately. It's all his fault, he can control it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 pm 

I've never liked Phillips but I have a lot bigger problem with Baker here than Phillips. While not condoning Phillips behavior, it was obviously out of line and unprofessional, I do understand that people lose their temper at times.
Baker laughing about it and saying "I ain't in this. This is between you and him." Someone needs to tell Dusty his job isn't just ignoring pitch counts and ruining pitchers, it's also keeping discipline on the team. If I was the owner, he'd be in my office this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:52 pm 

Scoobiedoo wrote:
I've never liked Phillips but I have a lot bigger problem with Baker here than Phillips. While not condoning Phillips behavior, it was obviously out of line and unprofessional, I do understand that people lose their temper at times.
Baker laughing about it and saying "I ain't in this. This is between you and him." Someone needs to tell Dusty his job isn't just ignoring pitch counts and ruining pitchers, it's also keeping discipline on the team. If I was the owner, he'd be in my office this morning.

Yeah, that aspect of it rubbed me the wrong way too, which is why I included Baker in the thread title. Not saying anything during the exchange was one thing, you'd think some sort of apology or statement (even the hackneyed "our organization doesn't condone this", etc.) would have been given afterward. Instead it looks like Baker probably went to Phillips afterward, made some more fat jokes and had a nice little laugh over it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:53 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

Yep. Phillips doesn't change his approach at all to hitting when there are no runners on base versus when there are runners on base. #doesn'tfitthethesissomustignore

If he does, then he's an idiot. Brandon Phillips is an awful hitter with no one on base (currently hitting .207/.242/.344 with the bases empty). He should just keep the approach he takes when runners are on base and use that approach in all situations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Brandon Phillips being an awesome hitter with RISP is unique to this year. I have to think it's just a good year that will never happen again.