Oh, I was also right about Jeff Locke.

So nyah. :P

Post subject: Re: Hanging On...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:20 pm 

Willton wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

It happens infrequently enough that I felt compelled to mention it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:04 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Willton wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:17 pm 

Willton wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
So sabermetric websites will make me a baseball know it all, got it. A left hander who hits right handed pitchers better than the right handed batter should be passed over simply because they're younger than the right handed batter who is in his third season yet has barely played a full year. A right handed batter who can't handle the everyday grind of a baseball season, who previously this season was a platoon player and is playing everyday because of injury.

Stop claiming that Tabata is or was a platoon player. You have no evidence that lends credence to this notion.

Tabata is better suited to be a platoon player, based on his durability. Won't find that on fan graphs . Net. Right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:53 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Willton wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
So sabermetric websites will make me a baseball know it all, got it. A left hander who hits right handed pitchers better than the right handed batter should be passed over simply because they're younger than the right handed batter who is in his third season yet has barely played a full year. A right handed batter who can't handle the everyday grind of a baseball season, who previously this season was a platoon player and is playing everyday because of injury.

Stop claiming that Tabata is or was a platoon player. You have no evidence that lends credence to this notion.

Tabata is better suited to be a platoon player, based on his durability. Won't find that on fan graphs . Net. Right?

Yes, you won't find that on Fangraphs. That's because it's not true.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:00 pm 

Damn. Okay way back in the thread I stated that I agreed it wouldn't change a thing in the lineup to give Pie a look against a right handed pitcher over Tabata. Tabata is not a superstar. He is not untouchable. He gets on base yet he's lost the explosiveness he once possessed, that in which got him paid. Most of his hits are singles to right field who will at times find a gap. He has power but its usually non existent. He has durability issues. He is an average defender who at one time could play a spacious left field.

I don't need fan graphs to tell me, to show me the player i've witnessed the last three seasons. To tell me he can't be reserve to a bench role. And he is a platoon player. He's platooned with Snider, Jones and Lambo this season. Next up?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:15 pm 

Don't get hung up on semantics. Tabata may not be a "platoon" player because he doesn't have significant splits. But he is better used in a 4th outfielder role because he wears down quickly and his defense is below average.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
Don't get hung up on semantics. Tabata may not be a "platoon" player because he doesn't have significant splits. But he is better used in a 4th outfielder role because he wears down quickly and his defense is below average.

And there's nothing wrong with having those guys on the 25 man roster. The past two seasons McKenry was a spark plug off the bench. When thrust into a starting role his production took a nose dive. As Barmes has watched his time at SS disappear the quality of his ABs has gone up.

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:26 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

And there's nothing wrong with having those guys on the 25 man roster. The past two seasons McKenry was a spark plug off the bench. When thrust into a starting role his production took a nose dive. As Barmes has watched his time at SS disappear the quality of his ABs has gone up.

Exactly. Tabata is valuable as a 4th outfielder and he can excel in that role. It keeps him fresh, and he can use his on-base skills to help the team with a couple of starts a week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:51 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Words have meanings, J.C., and the meaning of "platoon player" is a guy who has significant platoon splits, like Jones and Sanchez, and unlike Tabata.