Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sunday's match-up against Cardinals
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:44 pm 

Conflicted.

PNC Park benefits left handed pitchers. Wouldn't mind seeing the Cards go out there with a primarily right handed hitting offense and watching LF/CF eat up fly balls.
Locke has stunk up the joint with lousy pitch location. Cards' hitters are disciplined and will be patient if Locke falls behind in the count. If Locke falls behind, he's toast without solid command and pitch location.

Right now . . . on balance - I'm in favor of taking advantage of September roster expansion (Sunday is September 1st) and calling up Cumpton for a start and resting Locke.

Post subject: Re: Sunday's match-up against Cardinals
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:53 pm 

Not sure about Locke. Actually he completely baffles me. Its getting close to shut down time for him, I hope. He's a huge reason why the bucs have the record they do heading into August, I get that, but he's hurting the team big time right now. Enough already.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:21 pm 

I would strongly consider Kris Johnson due to St. Louis' struggles all year against lefties. Locke walks way too many for me to feel comfortable running out there against STL. They're too old to be impatient with him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:59 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
I would strongly consider Kris Johnson due to St. Louis' struggles all year against lefties. Locke walks way too many for me to feel comfortable running out there against STL. They're too old to be impatient with him.

This. I think Locke should skip a turn, and if that doesn't help, shut him down. He is getting hammered, and the crispness is gone from the fastball. Classic dead arm, not regression.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:03 pm 

Yeah, his expected regression was in July when he pitched pretty much identically to what his FIP numbers indicated (3.38 ERA on the month). This is a straight fall off the cliff in August. I expected him to go from ace production to #3/4 production....he's not even giving us #5 production though and fatigue is the only explanation for that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:21 pm 

I agree with No. 9 about skipping Locke and StarlingArcher about who should get the ball. Kris Johnson last pitched on August 25, so he'd take the bump on 6 days rest. And, as SA noted, the Cardinals struggle against left-handed pitchers.