Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 Hits?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:18 pm 

I come in from my FF Draft and find that we have 2 hits into the 7th inning against RYAN 5.7 ERA Voglesong? Are you kidding me? Yeah we dont need any help. Jeez...The 12 year old from Japan could shut them out if he had a breaking pitch.

Post subject: Re: 2 Hits?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:24 pm 

Well, Ryan Vogelsong is bringing his 88 mph heat and loopy curve ball so ...

He sucks. The only batter with worthwhile AB's against him has been Lambo.

Russell Martin and Jose Tabata look overmatched against a lousy pitcher.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm 

But they banged around all star Cain, literally.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 pm 

Baseball always surprises. We have beat up many very good pitchers this year, and look useless against some of the worst. GO FIRGER!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:40 pm 

The west coast trip yielded a 4 and 3 result but looking back from a fans perspective a couple more wins would've been nice. Two of those losses came against Ian Kennedy and Ryan Vogelsong, both of whom completely shut down the bucco bats. The bucs got to a hot, hard throwing young man in Tyson Ross and then washed away Matt Cain while finding away against Bumgarner. The likeness with all those pitchers is this, they all made it to the show and every now and then they're going to throw a gem. It happens. The bucco bats need to forget it, get home, hit the batting cages and keep working. The offense has been above average since the break. Those who talk down the offense because of a great pitching performance by the opponent are just short sighted and are missing the point. Can't score 10 runs every game and sometimes the dreaded shut out will rear its ugly head.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:42 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Baseball always surprises. We have beat up many very good pitchers this year, and look useless against some of the worst. GO FIRGER!

And that will never change. Baseball has always been that way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

As they say "That's why they keep score"

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 am 

Total of 3 hits and 2 by our triple a boys. Terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:40 am 

Guy's this is what we have.

It's nearly September and the offense that you have seen all year is what we are stuck with.

Unless the pitching continues to dominate the Bucs will have trouble down the stretch.

The Cards and Reds have the bats to bail a pitcher out but sorry to say we don't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Well, Ryan Vogelsong is bringing his 88 mph heat and loopy curve ball so ...

He sucks. The only batter with worthwhile AB's against him has been Lambo.

Cutch went 1 for 3 and hit all three balls very hard. He was unlucky.

Bucfan wrote:
Russell Martin and Jose Tabata look overmatched against a lousy pitcher.

I really like Martin, but I've said for a while now that pitchers with good changeups can really toy with him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am 
 WWW  Profile

Looked like Cutch and Pedro hit balls right at LF/RF twice in consecutive order.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:17 pm 

Chris76 wrote:
Guy's this is what we have.

It's nearly September and the offense that you have seen all year is what we are stuck with.

Unless the pitching continues to dominate the Bucs will have trouble down the stretch.

The Cards and Reds have the bats to bail a pitcher out but sorry to say we don't.

That about sums it up. These guys seem to get dominated by soft tossing pitchers who live on down and away in the dirt off speed junk and on the edges of the plate. They seem to throw in the mid eighties like Vogelsong was doing yesterday. Many of the pitches were also hittable . I don't get it.

What is even more frustrating to watch is Pirate hitters chasing after pitches NOT in the strike zone. They keep doing it over and over and over like Mr. Jones does. I don't get it. FRUSTRATING! (Maybe some of these guys need to get their eyes checked).

I know the Bucs can't score 10 runs every game and can't win every game. But, to be dominated by some of these high ERA pitchers and only manage one or two or three hits the entire game is maddening! HITS, not runs!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The title of this thread got me thinking...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:41 pm 

What I found frustrating about yesterday was:
1. The failure to adjust to Vogelsong's nibbling on the outer edge of the plate with less than overpowering "stuff." McCutchen was on his stuff big time. Lambo was solid as well. The rest? Uuuuugh.
2. Burnett's scowling at Mercer for not getting to second base faster on a really crappy sacrifice bunt attempt. That one was on Burnett but he seemingly wanted to look like it was Mercer's fault.
3. McCutchen on the brain fart for not advancing to third base on Alvarez's fly ball in the 7th. That ball was deep enough to advance him easily to third base. There is a distinct possiblity that Vogelsong has to be a bit more careful with Martin with Cutch on third than on second (i.e. bouncing an off speed pitch in the dirt) and if he hangs onto a ball a little too long or tries to be a little too careful, he might have made a mistake. There is no good reason why Cutch wasn't looking to tag up other than an absolute brain cramp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm 

You can also add Hurdle's decision to allow Burnett to remain in the game in the 8th with 2 outs. I wouldn't have let him start the 8th and I certainly wouldn't have let him try to finish the 8th.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:17 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
The title of this thread got me thinking...

Ha...that's funny. That is exactly the first thing I thought of after yesterday's game! Classic!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:50 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
You can also add Hurdle's decision to allow Burnett to remain in the game in the 8th with 2 outs. I wouldn't have let him start the 8th and I certainly wouldn't have let him try to finish the 8th.

This.

Burnett did not have his "A" stuff, but he battled through 7 very solid innings, at 110 pitches or something close.

The decision to run him out there for the 8th to "give him a chance to win the game" was beyond stupid.

I don't give a @#$% if Burnett wins the game, I care if the PIRATES win the game. The much better strategy was to bring in a reliever to start the 8th. (And for crying out loud, it is the 8TH INNNING, not the 6th ... ). Just dumb leaving Burnett out there for the 8th.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:01 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

This.

Burnett did not have his "A" stuff, but he battled through 7 very solid innings, at 110 pitches or something close.

The decision to run him out there for the 8th to "give him a chance to win the game" was beyond stupid.

I don't give a @#$% if Burnett wins the game, I care if the PIRATES win the game. The much better strategy was to bring in a reliever to start the 8th. (And for crying out loud, it is the 8TH INNNING, not the 6th ... ). Just dumb leaving Burnett out there for the 8th.

Do you get the notion that, despite yelling at him in the dugout that time, Hurdle is intimidated by AJ? Or maybe it's just the veteran thing...giving him more rope and all. Either way it was a horrible decision, and unfortunately it didn't surprise me...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:04 pm 

My impression is that managing AJ is a delicate task.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:23 am 

No doubt AJ is high maintenance and one needs kid gloves, but I also think the veteran thing is the reason he let him go back out. I was watching on the SF feed and noticed when AJ gave up that last hit and runs that Hurdle shot out of the dugout with sort of a pissed look on his face that said...."damn it, I told you". Let's hope Hurdle cashes in his stamps and finds it easier to yank him the next time.