Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm good with it!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:05 pm 

The .500 jinx WILL BE BROKEN! I'm good with it!

The Cardinals will probably win the division. I'm good with it!

The Reds may pass us for the first wild card. I'm good with it.

We may have to go to Cincinnati to play that stupid one game playoff. I'm good with it.

We may lose that stupid one game playoff. I'm good with it.

We may host the one game playoff and lose it. I'm good with it.

It's August 25th and we are talking about meaningful baseball and an (almost) guaranteed slot in the postseason for the first time in two decades. From here on out, I'm good with it! Whatever happens. I'm good with it!

Post subject: Re: I'm good with it!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

Be positive. We only lost one game last night.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:13 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Be positive. We only lost one game last night.

I'm not being negative. I'm just good with whatever happens from here on out. Hey I predicted a 3-4 road trip and they already won the road trip before today's game is even played.

Will still be cheering my heart out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:48 pm 

With the pirates anemic offense I have a hard time believing they will go far in the post season anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 pm 

Awful post...Just Awful

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:00 pm 

The bucs had a great chance to get that giants series with their 2 best on the bump and a split was all that was managed. Forget about it, move on, get ready for the brewers. I think the offense has been average or slightly above average since the break. The pitching has dropped ever so little. Sometimes teams just run into a great pitching performance. It happens. The bucs are heading into September right at the top of the best 3 team race in any division in baseball.

If anything, this bucco team seems to forget about the last game. Who knows, this anemic offense may break out tomorrow. They've done it before. They'll do out again. A day off and a 6 game homestand against division foes may be just what they need. They play great at home. Its going to be fun. Let's go bucs!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:34 pm 

I haven't posted here much - for a while. No reason. I tend to post more on the PG+. But, I agree with Corsair. No one, and I mean no one, expected the Bucs to be where they are at this point in the season. No one!!! Most of us were looking to next year, or the following year, for the Bucs to be contenders. So, whatever happens from now on, is all good. This is, for the most part, still a young team with Cutch, Pedro, Walker, Marte, and other young guys still developing. This year has been a great experience for them, and even if they falter going down the stretch, I'm pleased and excited about the coming several years. Polanco, Taillon, Sanchez, and some other great young pitchers are in the pipeline towards Pittsburgh. Things are looking good for our Bucs in the future. Go Bucs!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 am 

Well, I'm NOT good with it. These opportunities are few and far between. If the Pirates don't take advantage and manage at least one home playoff game this season, I'm going to be mightily disappointed.

Even though the team is positioned for success in the future, that success is no guarantee. Look at this year's Nationals, Giants, and White Sox...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am 
 WWW  Profile

The Nationals are a good comparison. CWS got old after last June and while I didn't think the Giants would be as bad as they've been, I didn't look at them as being "well-positioned for the future".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The Nationals are a good comparison. CWS got old after last June and while I didn't think the Giants would be as bad as they've been, I didn't look at them as being "well-positioned for the future".

With the pitching the Giants throw out there, and the general depth of the lineup, they certainly looked like a playoff team coming into 2013. There was no way Giants thought Sandoval would eat Angel Pagan, Cain would suck for the first half of the year, Vogelsong would implode, and the offense would be rendered inert.

I'll give you the White Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 am 
 WWW  Profile

Just to confirm that this wasn't due to a recency bias, I looked at my blog for what I said about SF in my preseason over/under picks:

Quote:
- San Francisco Giants 86

I don't know how they do it. I don't think they'll do it again. But 86 games isn't "it". Will Lincecum continue to suck? If he doesn't, that will make up for Zito going full-Zito in 2013. I guess I'd have to say over. But with next-to-no confidence.

OVER - 1 star

So yeah, I thought they'd win in the mid-to-high 80s. But I think this clearly shows that I wasn't enthralled by their future positioning.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:03 am 
 WWW  Profile

At least I got one right!

Quote:
- Chicago White Sox 80.5

White Sox! I actually followed them last year. Now, there was another Fangraphs post about how the Sox have consistently, over the past 7 or so years, exceeded pre-season expectations. But I'm going to chalk that up to relative coincidence. Because I think this team falls flat on it's face this year. This is probably my MLB over/under sizzler. It's dripping wet.

For the first third or so of the season, Paul Konerko was basically Hall of Fame. Like, he was Stan Musial through the end of June. Adam Dunn earned comeback player of the year before the All-Star break. The pitching was great - Chris Sale was a normal-year ROY candidate and finished 6th in the Cy voting. Peavy was uninjured and threw 220 innings of 120+ ERA+ ball. Jose Quintana? Gavin Floyd? None of this is going to happen again. AJ Pierzinsky had a career year. He's gone and wouldn't come close to duplicating it again if he weren't. This team started to sink down the stretch last year, and now they are all a year older and that slippage is going to continue hardcore into this year. This team is going to (NOT BE GOOD). I'm gonna put actual monies on this one.

UNDER - 3 STARS

Quote:
- Washington Nationals 90

And, finally, Washington. This team is stacked. Bryce Harper will be a year better. The pitching is young and awesome. Strasburg gets to pitch 700 innings this season. Another one that needs little explanation, and I see them fighting for 100 wins this season.

OVER - 3 stars

EDIT: Forgot to remove my swearz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 am 
 WWW  Profile

Luckily I didn't bet on Washington - my only bets this year were CWS under 80.5 (guaranteed), MIA under 64.5 (down to the wire - need them to go 15-18 or worse), and Mets under 74 (14-20 will lead to a push...I think I'm probably going to lose this one).