Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 Days Left
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:11 pm 

By adding a playoff team in each league and reducing the juice taken by the players has had a leveling effect in the Major Leagues. Parity if you will. 13 teams are within 7 games of winning a division. Last year at this same time there were 13 teams within 7 games of winning the division. Just different. The White Sox were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. The Nationals were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. The yankees were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. The Giants were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. Injuries, off season conditioning, contract apathy. There are no guarantees in the MLB that a team will remain balanced enough to withstand long term competitiveness.

This Pirate team is incredibly fragile. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, saw the Pirates competing for a playoff spot, let alone competing for the division. The surprise is due to overwhelmingly great pitching. However that's the same thing that makes it fragile. If we lose a another starter for any significant time its big trouble. This offensive team simply cannot carry the weight.

6 days left. Go get someone. Dunn? You can have him for no prospects at all. Just pay his salary. Morneau? Pretty much the same story. (The twins are moving Joe Mauer to first base on Tuesday. Morneau has to go somewhere. There not going to DH him as they have a bunch of young guys to develop.) How bout Erik Badard? How bout Dan Haren? Something!

No moral victories. I'll be glad to put my hindsight goggles on after the season and judge waiver wire acquisitions. For now, doing nothing is stupid.

Do you understand how much money this organization will make if they get into a 7 game playoff for the NL title? Every swinging dick on the planet will buy a jersey, A white and gold terrible towel and a brand new hat. How much is that worth? And do you know how quickly they will forget the Pirates if they lose a one game playoff in Cincinnati?

Post subject: Re: 6 Days Left
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:18 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Do you understand how much money this organization will make if they get into a 7 game playoff for the NL title? Every swinging dick on the planet will buy a jersey, A white and gold terrible towel and a brand new hat. How much is that worth? And do you know how quickly they will forget the Pirates if they lose a one game playoff in Cincinnati?

I agree re the shirts sales. I saw A LOT of Pirates T-shirts being sold in freaking Ocean City, Maryland last week. Looks to me like they were outselling the Os and Crash Davis, and that was verified by the sales clerks I spoke too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:46 pm 

Did you really suggest Erik Bedard!!!!???? You had me till that statement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 pm 

2 very important words: revenue sharing.

Merchandise sales won't make a huge difference. The big distinguisher among teams is the TV deal. The smaller things all wind up more or less equal when it's all said and done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:06 pm 

"Pirate Nation" is probably not much smaller than "Steeler Nation" given the history of Pittsburghers leaving for other areas of the country. Pittsburghers are just by-and-large fair weather, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:10 pm 

Why would you say pittsburghers are fair weather?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:11 pm 

I read somewhere recently that Pirate gear is the No. 2 selling brand in MLB.... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:18 pm 

And a lot of non pittsburghers cheer for Pittsburgh teams. Such as myself. I do have family back there, however.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:19 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Why would you say pittsburghers are fair weather?

Because they are. The Penguins don't pull anything unless they're a Cup contender. You can find Steelers tickets for a discount if they're having a mediocre season. The Pirates actually didn't draw too badly, but giveaways, fireworks, and cheap tickets probably have more to do with that than actual fan interest for most of the last 20 years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:22 pm 

No reason not to add to the club, whether it's bringing in Morneau or Dunn or a starting pitcher. The cost in terms of prospects will be tiny, and who knows how many more opportunities like this the Pirates will have? I thought the Nationals would win 100+ games this season...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:51 pm 

Guess I'm the contrary one here. I say again, dance with who brung ya! Everyone else could face an injury too. And as I just posted elseware, Tabata id hitting .361 in his last 10 games. Want bench him? For whom?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:03 pm 

I think the bench must get stronger. However that needs to happen. Might be the only thing holding this team back. Pen is strong, starting pitching is deep.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:50 pm 

Morneau! Morneau! Morneau! :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:20 am 

The Rotten One wrote:
By adding a playoff team in each league and reducing the juice taken by the players has had a leveling effect in the Major Leagues. Parity if you will. 13 teams are within 7 games of winning a division. Last year at this same time there were 13 teams within 7 games of winning the division. Just different. The White Sox were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. The Nationals were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. The yankees were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. The Giants were leading their division with the same team they opened the season with this year. Injuries, off season conditioning, contract apathy. There are no guarantees in the MLB that a team will remain balanced enough to withstand long term competitiveness.

This Pirate team is incredibly fragile. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, saw the Pirates competing for a playoff spot, let alone competing for the division. The surprise is due to overwhelmingly great pitching. However that's the same thing that makes it fragile. If we lose a another starter for any significant time its big trouble. This offensive team simply cannot carry the weight.

6 days left. Go get someone. Dunn? You can have him for no prospects at all. Just pay his salary. Morneau? Pretty much the same story. (The twins are moving Joe Mauer to first base on Tuesday. Morneau has to go somewhere. There not going to DH him as they have a bunch of young guys to develop.) How bout Erik Badard? How bout Dan Haren? Something!

WHY? We have one of the best records in baseball with the guys we have. Why would you want to mess with that success with a bunch of dead wood? Dunn and Morneau are no better at this point than the guys we have.

Bedard?? Are you serious?? It's had to take a post like this seriously!

No moral victories. I'll be glad to put my hindsight goggles on after the season and judge waiver wire acquisitions. For now, doing nothing is stupid.