Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Predict Our "Big Signing"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:25 pm 

One year and only $2.25 million including incentives. I would certainly think we would have offered more but, face it, are there any big leaguers with options that want to come here? It seems these days the diehards and bobblehead fans are the only folks that want anything to do with Pirates baseball. If they could just extend the NHL season a month and a half and start the NFL season a month and a half early, we could pretty well tear down PNC and most of Pittsburgh would never notice until their bobbleheads were missing or they had a notion to see some non-4th of July Fireworks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:15 pm 

Rotoworld is reporting its for 1.75, but with a base salary of only a half million.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:39 pm 

He grew up a Red Sox fan. I am sure that had something to do with the decision. I learned that on the MLB Network.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:45 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He grew up a Red Sox fan. I am sure that had something to do with the decision. I learned that on the MLB Network.

I think AZBF has found his new addiction. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:10 pm 

It is very popular with Mrs. AZBF too. She has watched more TV in the last several days than probably in the last 2-3 months.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:20 pm 

I'm resisting the urge to upgrade my already costly package to get MLB. You guys are killing me!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:48 pm 

I was lucky. It came with whatever package I have on Direct TV.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:58 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I was lucky. It came with whatever package I have on Direct TV.

Me, too. What impresses me is how good it is now, so whats it gonna be like when the season actually starts. In a word, heaven. For those who have to spend extra to get it, I guarantee youll log more hours there than on HBO or any other premium channel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:39 pm 

I hate Comcast. Why couldn't they offer this on the basic digital package? That's a rhetorical question btw, I already know the an$wer. I'll probably cave once spring training starts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I hate Comcast. Why couldn't they offer this on the basic digital package? That's a rhetorical question btw, I already know the an$wer. I'll probably cave once spring training starts.

I'm not going to cave to comcast. I am debating, however, in getting the dish. My hesitation is that if I would lose the signal in the bottom of the 9th one night that I would end up in prison for killing a direct tv employee. I wish Fios would come to an agreement in the city of Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:45 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I'm not going to cave to comcast. I am debating, however, in getting the dish. My hesitation is that if I would lose the signal in the bottom of the 9th one night that I would end up in prison for killing a direct tv employee. I wish Fios would come to an agreement in the city of Pittsburgh.

Directv has its problems. I lost 2 quarters of the Florida/Okla game last nite, but my friend just down the street was fine. Yes, murder WAS considered. Also, in a heavy rain or snow the signal has been known to cut out. But in an imperfect world, I still think the dish is far superior to cable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 pm 

Kingston wrote:
BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Directv has its problems. I lost 2 quarters of the Florida/Okla game last nite, but my friend just down the street was fine. Yes, murder WAS considered. Also, in a heavy rain or snow the signal has been known to cut out. But in an imperfect world, I still think the dish is far superior to cable.

Right now, directv is offering pretty good deals for 1 year...i'm thinking I could take that for a year and hopefully fios will be available after that. But, the city of Pittsburgh fears progress, so who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:50 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I hear ya. I called and bitched last spring and managed to get them to knock off $25 a month for a year. When that year is up I may jet to a different provider. The thing I dislike about sattelite is portability. I could wire 25 (I'm currently sitting at 5) TVs in my house with a coax cable if I wanted to. Can't do that with Dish (or so I'm told) unless I pay for seperate converter boxes.

Last edited by Argentum on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:51 pm 

I thought Pittsburgh was a high tech progressive city? What gives?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

A local government that still thinks it 1952.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:57 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

A local government that still thinks it 1952.

Apparently true. I was surprised to learn that City Hall has an Army/McCarthy hearing set for tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:35 pm 

LOLOL!