Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Predict Our "Big Signing"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:03 pm 

Thought I'd start a prediction thread. I assume, like many of you, that Huntington will do something before the season starts, and it will be small and make us close to nuts. So whattya think...

I say Emil Brown comes back (and to be clear, I am NOT endorsing this, just predicting it). He'll be cheap, and since he actually hits lefties pretty well (for guys at his level) the thinking will be he'll prove a nice compliment to Morgan and Moss.

Post subject: Re: Predict Our "Big Signing"
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:34 pm 

Dejan;

The Pirates remain active in a narrowing field of teams pursuing free-agent outfielder Rocco Baldelli.

The field now could be down to the Pirates and two American League teams, according to one source directly involved in negotiations.

Is it me, or is the Pirates and two other teams thing starting to sound like a running gag?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:45 pm 

Assuming we're looking for a 4th/5th Ofer, of the FAs availalble, I think Eric Hinske is a better option if for no other reason that he can play 1B ala Minky. We need protection at first.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:39 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Thought I'd start a prediction thread. I assume, like many of you, that Huntington will do something before the season starts, and it will be small and make us close to nuts. So whattya think...

I say Emil Brown comes back (and to be clear, I am NOT endorsing this, just predicting it). He'll be cheap, and since he actually hits lefties pretty well (for guys at his level) the thinking will be he'll prove a nice compliment to Morgan and Moss.

It's funny you would bring up the name Emil Brown cause i have a story to tell about what an asshole he is.Sorry for the language but its the only thing he should be called.
In 2005 me, my best friend , my mom and my dad attended a Cleveland Indians game against the Royals where we sat in the front row in right field right by where Emil was playing.
Emil Brown made 2-3 fielding errors in the 1st 5 innings and he was being laughed at and hazed by some of the drunkin fans behind us.(about 5-10 behind us).During the 7th inning stretch Emil came over to the stand and said "im gonna kill you two cracker motherfuckers" to me and my friend who weren't saying a thing.this was an early game in the season and my birthday is July 28th and my friend was a year younger than me.So i was still a month or so from even being 18.When the drunkin guys heard him say it they came down to me and my friend and said "we are gonna rush the field and take that asshole out when he comes out for the bottom of the 8th".a security guard overheard them say it and me , my friend adam , my mom , my dad , and the 3 drunkin fans were takin to a holding cell of some type in the basement/back area of jacobs field and told that charges were being pressed against us and that we would never be allowed to come back to Jacobs Field.After we talked to the police and explained what happened we were released about an hour or so after the game was already over.As for the 3 drunk guys they weren't so lucky they were taken to jail overnight and charges were pressed against them.Since the name change of the stadium my ban has been lifted(or they just forgot my name) but if Emil Brown becomes a Pirate again i will be waiting out back for him with the autograph seekers and i will spit directly in his face.Some if any of you guys are autograph seekers and we sign Emil Brown and there is a Ruckus out back just remember it will be me!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:42 pm 

Great story, Colin :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 pm 

Well, Gammons is reporting that the Red Sox will announce that they have signed Baldelli tomorrow night.

Of course, I'm pretty sure Gammons would announce that Jesus Christ works in the Sox front office, so make of it what you may.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3817433

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:53 pm 

BBF wrote:
Well, Gammons is reporting that the Red Sox will announce that they have signed Baldelli tomorrow night.

Of course, I'm pretty sure Gammons would announce that Jesus Christ works in the Sox front office, so make of it what you may.

Hilarious. And accurate, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:55 pm 

Kingston wrote:
BBF wrote:

You know Jesus would never go to the Yankees...he'd have to shave and get a haircut

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Kingston wrote:
BBF wrote:

You know Jesus would never go to the Yankees...he'd have to shave and get a haircut

Well, since Damon had to...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 am 

Gammons certainly favors teams with 100 million+ payrolls, but he is well respected and if he is reporting it, the story is probably true.

As a realistic signing now, one guy that might fit well for the Pirates as a right handed power bat is Johny Gomes. The guy has great patience and pretty good power, he just doesn't make great contact (a .235 MLB average despite a much higher .329 MLB OBP). I doubt it would cost much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:35 am 

Actually, anything he reports about the Red Sox is true. I like him, but he is so far in with the front office they probably have a private bathroom for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:37 am 

IronKett25 wrote:
Gammons certainly favors teams with 100 million+ payrolls, but he is well respected and if he is reporting it, the story is probably true.

As a realistic signing now, one guy that might fit well for the Pirates as a right handed power bat is Johny Gomes. The guy has great patience and pretty good power, he just doesn't make great contact (a .235 MLB average despite a much higher .329 MLB OBP). I doubt it would cost much.

MLB.com is reporting the deal too...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... &fext=.jsp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:57 am 

I'll have to go with Ramon Vazquez or Harold and Kumar. Great work by the front office this winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:25 am 

Gammons is a dweeb...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:45 am 

BBF wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3817433

John Smoltz might sign with the Red Sox too!!!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/s ... aning.html

Quote:
As of last night, sources indicated that Smoltz was leaning toward Boston's offer which was said to be somewhere in the vicinity of $5.5 million guaranteed with the opportunity to earn a few million in incentives which could hike the salary up to $10 million. The Sox and Smoltz have been talking since before the Winter Meetings. The Sox do not anticipate that Smoltz will be ready until later in May, but one of the incentives being discussed would be a roster bonus if he's with the team by June 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:29 pm 

Big signing? Craig Wilson on a minor league deal... :lol: :lol:

Dude killed the ball once we traded him to Seatle last year for the ptbnl. OPS of .953!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:39 pm 

BBF wrote:
Big signing? Craig Wilson on a minor league deal... :lol: :lol:

Dude killed the ball once we traded him to Seatle last year for the ptbnl. OPS of .953!!!!!!!

Did that ptbnl ever get named?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:44 pm 

We can't get back Chris Young but Matt Herges is available.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:57 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
We can't get back Chris Young but Matt Herges is available.

Yeah but if we sign Herges we won't have enough room on the 40 man for Mark Corey or Pat Mahomes!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:19 pm 

Baldelli's contract was only one year. That's interesting considering the interest in him.