Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It really does take a village
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:11 pm 

I haven't been positive about Barmes for 2 years now, but.... he has done his part this last 2 months to contribute to the first place standings. Last night being great.

But it shows to go ya that it takes all 40 guys to make a successful season. When you look at the injuries to both starting pitchers and relievers, and throw in Walker, Tabata, Marte, Snyder, Martin, and McHenry all missing some games. How many different SPs ? 11 or 12.

Time to give credit to the front office and especially the GM. This is not one or two guys carrying the team but everyone together. Some maybe playing better then expected but some not. It's really the whole organization which has come to the ball park this year.

Post subject: Re: It really does take a village
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:54 pm 

Ya got that right substitute. By the way I'm from Wheeling as well. Didn't realize anyone else from this great club was.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm 

With Locke's rather startling regression, I also submit that as of right now, no player is playing above his level. On the other hand, several are performing below reasonable expectations - Jones, Martin's bat, Walker, Tabata.

That suggests to me that the Pirates' success this year can be replicated and indeed improved next year if the Buccos get Polanco in RF and improvement from Cole.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:54 pm 

Barmes deserves a ton of credit this year. Good, solid veteran backup. They say he has helped Mercer tremendously. Keeps mouth shut. Does his job the best he can.

Personally, I bring him back next year as backup infielder.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:56 pm 

I would be in favor of giving him $1 mil as a backup for next year.... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:00 pm 

Driving in those runs made up for what I thought should have been his ball on the play in which the Giants scored. Much easier for Barmes than Mercer. Of course, if Marte is on the field, that ball falls in his back pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
With Locke's rather startling regression, I also submit that as of right now, no player is playing above his level. On the other hand, several are performing below reasonable expectations - Jones, Martin's bat, Walker, Tabata.

That suggests to me that the Pirates' success this year can be replicated and indeed improved next year if the Buccos get Polanco in RF and improvement from Cole.

Losing Burnett could hurt. The Pirates will need to either re-sign him or get another solid, veteran pitcher capable of throwing a lot of innings.