Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Glasnow gives up no hits, Ks 13
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm 

Unbelievable outing by Glasnow tonight. Strikes out 13 batters in 5 IP while giving up 0 hits. He did walk 5, but despite the 0 hits. Lowers ERA to 2.29 on the season. On the year that is 160 Ks in 107 IP.

Post subject: Re: Glasnow gives up no hits, Ks 13
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 pm 

LGM should be having some fun next year with Glasnow, Herrera, and Bell in Bradenton.

Bell's been on a bit of a roll lately, he's worked his way into the top 5 for Runs Created over 550 PA (to try to keep it fair). That includes SB/CS, Sacrifice plays, GIDP, etc., so he's really done it entirely with the bat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:06 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Bell's been on a bit of a roll lately, he's worked his way into the top 5 for Runs Created over 550 PA (to try to keep it fair). That includes SB/CS, Sacrifice plays, GIDP, etc., so he's really done it entirely with the bat.

Finishing strong after what appeared to be a (mildly) disappointing start relative to expectations, but again I think you have to factor in the ongoing lingering knee issues considering he was only in the line-up every other day or so for most of the season. The power is good when you consider the 37 doubles to go along with the HRs, and the more he has been playing every day the better results. Lots of multi-hit games, .960 OPS over his last ten games. My only surprise is that I anticipated that he'd jump to high-A mid-season, but I'm glad that wasn't the case given the swing mechanic issues that were reported plus being conservative with the injury.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:39 pm 

Yeah, at this point I'm thinking he might do the Polanco thing where he splits the year at high-A and AA next year. Provided he performs, of course. He'll be 21 next season, which is the same age as Polanco this year so he'd still be very much age appropriate.

It'd be nice to see Barrett Barnes come back healthy next year. He's always been good when healthy, he just can't seem to stay that way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:51 pm 

Glasnow is ready, call him up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:25 pm 

Bell is having a good season. Really too bad about his 2012 injury, since at this rate, he could be challenging for AA but for the injury.

He is 2nd in the SAL in doubles, 10th in slugging, 12th in OBP, 9th in OPS and 6th in RBI's.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 pm 
 WWW  Profile

StarlingArcher wrote:
LGM should be having some fun next year with Glasnow, Herrera, and Bell in Bradenton.

I am looking forward to it for sure. Getting my trading cards in line, stocking up on FSL baseballs, etc..LOL
Just got 15 bats today and getting them cleaned up and ready for 2014.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:

I always hated cleaning bats ... things just freak me out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

I am looking forward to it for sure. Getting my trading cards in line, stocking up on FSL baseballs, etc..LOL

Definitely jealous. Has to be cool on both ends to have that kind of interaction with guys. That's really not something you can get at the major league level.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:59 pm 

Glasnow was #1 on Baseball America's Hot Sheet this week for prospects.

Mentioned the extremely low BAA he has. Tops in the minors, and interestingly enough the guy who trails him is the pitcher (Edwards) that the Cubs got back from the Rangers in the Garza deal (Glasnow was thrown out as a hypothetical "what would it take to get Garza" package on Twitter).

Definitely sounds like the walks are the concern, but the swing-and-miss stuff is pretty legit and not regarded by evaluators as a fluke.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:08 pm 

Wow- just think of it. 2015 rotation including Cole, Taillon, Glasnow, and Kingham among others.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:32 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Wow- just think of it. 2015 rotation including Cole, Taillon, Glasnow, and Kingham among others.

It's a pipe dream that all of them will pan out. I just hope one (or, even better, two) of Cole/Taillon/Glasnow/Kingham becomes a true "ace."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:08 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
It's a pipe dream that all of them will pan out. I just hope one (or, even better, two) of Cole/Taillon/Glasnow/Kingham becomes a true "ace."

The point being that true No. 1 starting pitchers come from guys who deal in the mid to upper 90's, with command, and at least one solid secondary offering.

That describes those four guys right now (Glasnow working on command aside). The likelihood that a young arm dealing at 96 mph with good secondary succeeds >>>>>>>>>> the likelihood that a soft-tossing lefty nibbler succeeds.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:18 pm 

Heredia as well. Decent odds of getting 2 frontline guys and then a couple of solid mid-rotation pieces out of them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 pm 

Glasnow threw 5 hit-less innings tonight in what is likely his second to last start of the regular season (and WV is playoff bound as well). As P2 pointed out, he has given up 1 run in his last 14 IP.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 am 

TheShark wrote:
. As P2 pointed out, he has given up 1 run in his last 14 IP.

Hey he's not that bad. :)

Actually 1 HIT in the last 14 innings. No runs. And 24 K's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:09 pm 

He definitely is something to be happy about.

Like most young pitchers he still doesn't have a changeup which hopefully he develops. He has a very high ceiling obviously. Once he fills out a little more he should be able to hit 96mph consistently throughout games (If he can't already. Haven't read much about his recent outings). His walks are a concern but he has shown improvements in that area which is a good sign.

Cole, Taillon, and Glasnow has potential to be a scary 1-2-3 punch.