Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tabata
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:41 pm 

I'd like to be able to go back to my post last March where I said Jose Tabata would be the key to a successful or unsuccessful season. We all agree that right field has been our biggest need all year, and Jose has been a MAJOR disappointment. I get accused of being a cheerleader on this forum, but here is my negative post: the guy is constantly hurt, and I don't trust him. Somebody talk me off the ledge, but I don't feel comfortable with him in the lineup.

Post subject: Re: Tabata
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:09 pm 

I don't either CC. I haven't been a fan of Tabata for a long time now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 pm 

Tabata is having the same season he has had for three years now. Missing a good chunk of time due to injury, hitting well below his expectations as a prospect and promising rookie season, but managing an OBP in the .330-.340 range. The main difference is that he no longer possesses the excellent defense and speed that made a terrific base-stealer in the minors which puts his upside at 4th OF at best. And while disappointing, that is okay for his role with the Pirates. Expecting anything more at this point, nearly three years removed from his rookie season, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Age is on his side, but not a single batting trend is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 pm 

I have no real issue with him. He's pretty much a league average player, and he's cheap. I'm fine with that for a placeholder. Health is the only aggravating part.

For comparison's sake, he has a 107 wRC+* which is equivalent to Justin Morneau and 8 points higher than Alex Rios, who are/were two of the bigger names desired here. So, take that as you will, depending on your view of those players offensively.

*wRC+ is wOBA but on an easier to read/compare scale since wOBA fluctuates slightly from year to year based on average OBP, and since it's based off of wOBA it's not as mathematically disastrous as OPS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:35 pm 

In my mind he's a stopgap between where the Pirates are now and where they will be when Polanco arrives and I'm pretty okay with that. Nothing about him excites me but nothing about him says "get him the heck off this roster" like some others have this season.

Not saying they shouldn't upgrade if it's available but all signs point toward him being the RF (when he's healthy) until Polanco arrives. Once Polanco arrives Tabata may very well be the most valuable 4th OF in the majors.

edit: Was just looking at Atlanta's stats. Let's all be thankful that we don't have BJ Upton roaming the outfield.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:48 pm 

My comment from the Felix Pie thread:

"The Glass Outfielder". I'm kind of hoping we trade him in the off season. Not sure he's ever going to be more than what he is: A streaky decent bat and a sub par fielder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

Tabata clearly has the talent. His "hit" tool and pitch recognition is among the best on the team. If he can simply stay in shape, stay healthy, and stay focused, he could be well above average in right field. Unfortunately, he struggles with all three of those aspects of baseball.

I agree that, once Polanco arrives, Tabata could make for an excellent fourth outfielder... provided he accepts that role and doesn't pout.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:28 pm 

Did I miss something? Is he hurt again?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:59 pm 

RTJR wrote:
Did I miss something? Is he hurt again?

Had a sore knee for a couple days. Came back and looked okay yesterday, though.

Methinks he just needs to learn the difference between being hurt and being injured. Or whatever the cliché is about playing through minor pain but knowing when it's too serious to get out there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:14 pm 

I think he's just paranoid. He's been hurt so often that any little ding probably worries him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:20 pm 

Yeah that could be it as well. It's a shame though, he's quietly putting together a respectable season. I wouldn't anoint him a starter for years to come, but compared to some of the RF that have been moved so far (Rios, DeJesus) he's a superior alternative. He's at a 113 wRC+, he's also pretty hot right now, but he's been around a 105 wRC+ all season. That's really not THAT bad when you look at it compared to these numbers (also, damn the Rays are good at what they do):

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/david-dejesus-alex-rios-and-perception/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:15 am 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
I'd like to be able to go back to my post last March where I said Jose Tabata would be the key to a successful or unsuccessful season. We all agree that right field has been our biggest need all year, and Jose has been a MAJOR disappointment. I get accused of being a cheerleader on this forum, but here is my negative post: the guy is constantly hurt, and I don't trust him. Somebody talk me off the ledge, but I don't feel comfortable with him in the lineup.

Look at the bright side. They could have given up something of value to get Alex Rios, and Tabata is the better hitter.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Tabata so clearly has talent, but he's never used it consistently. With Marte on the DL, he needs to be locked in every day. So far, so good. I hope he can handle left field at PNC better than he's shown earlier this year -- that could be crucial against the Brewers and Cardinals.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:44 pm 

13/36 in his last 10 games. Average= .361 What the hell's wrong with that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:48 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Tabata is having the same season he has had for three years now. Missing a good chunk of time due to injury, hitting well below his expectations as a prospect and promising rookie season, but managing an OBP in the .330-.340 range. The main difference is that he no longer possesses the excellent defense and speed that made a terrific base-stealer in the minors which puts his upside at 4th OF at best. And while disappointing, that is okay for his role with the Pirates. Expecting anything more at this point, nearly three years removed from his rookie season, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Age is on his side, but not a single batting trend is.

Tabata is having the best season of his career at the plate.

His slugging percentage is his highest ever.

He has equaled his career high in homers in one third of the at bats.

Highest batting average since his rookie year.

Highest OBP since his second year.

Highest OPS of his career, for an OPS+ of 114.

Yep, not a single batting trend on his side.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:50 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yup. He's stepping up at the right time. Hope he keeps it going when Marte comes back.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:14 pm 

Let's get Lambo some regular playing time to see what he can do and maybe you platoon him at 1st with Gaby and tell Jones to have a seat on the bench.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:36 pm 

I like tabata, but he's always hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:01 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
His slugging percentage is his highest ever.

He has equaled his career high in homers in one third of the at bats.

Highest batting average since his rookie year.

Highest OBP since his second year.

Highest OPS of his career, for an OPS+ of 114.

Yep, not a single batting trend on his side.

For starters you replied to my post 3 days after I posted it, in which Tabata has posted two 3-hit games to boost that BA, OBP and OPS.

Secondly, it's not really saying much to give him credit for having the "highest BA since his rookie year" considering he hit .266 and .243 the years in between or talking about the 4 HRs like a number around that isn't expected.

If you think my post had a negative outlook on Tabata you're mistaken. I gave him credit for posting an OBP in the .340 range which he has consistently put up, and he's had a nice season doing exactly that this year when healthy. I said if you're looking for much more out of him (i.e. the thesis of this thread about him being a disappointment), you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment because there are a number of reasons he doesn't have the upside he did as a prospect or the rookie eyar. As I listed, he is becoming another Ryan Doumit in routinely missing a good chunk of time due to injury, and tools-wise he no longer has the speed that made him a prolific basestealer in the minors, and subsequently his defense went from plus to average at best. Still a useful player, love what he's done this year, but there's a reason he went from RF of the future to battling for a platoon role out of ST in a couple years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:26 pm 

Jose Tabata celebrated the favorable comments by hitting his 1 billionth ground ball.

In a row.