Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Justin Morneau
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:54 am 

Look at it this way. You could potentially add Morneau without giving up Jones. Consider him to be taking Pie's spot. Or in the bigger picture, Lambo's.

Who would you rather have in the postseason, Morneau or Lambo? I'll take the veteran. Lambo would still be a September call-up, and will be there for us next year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 pm 

After watching Jones flail at pitches again tonight, I thought I'd push this thread back to the top. Bringing in Morneau really doesn't hurt anything...except Nutting's pocket a little...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:52 pm 

Not that Jones hasn't been awful, but Morneau is 270/357/432 over his last 10 games....if you take out his mammoth 4/5 game (a clear outlier), he has ONE game with multiple hits over that stretch and a 193/306/258 line. So, he's not really solving much of anything and is clearly playing back to his "level" after a torrid stretch of SSS bliss.

He just flat out isn't as good as his name anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:02 am 

Clearly he isn't the same guy he once was, but clearly an upgrade over Jones. For the year he has 32 doubles and 15 HR,and a .324 OBP. And against right handed pitching, which is where he would be used for the most part, his OBP is .350.

I'm not going to lose sleep if they don't get him, but watching Jones is becoming painful. If you can upgrade, even a little, without losing anything much but cash I think you do it. This is, after all, a pennant chase...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:06 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Animal wrote:
Personally, I would rather have Jones. I think a Jones hot streak is just as likely as continued Morneau success.

I'd love to know what you're basing that on. Jones looks totally lost at the plate right now, and he's never been a second-half player.

Animal wrote:
Instead of Jones, it could be Snider, Presley, Pie, Tabata....anybody really...

Snider's been awful, Presley has had enough time in the majors to show he's a AAAA player, Pie didn't even have a good OBP at AAA, and Tabata can't stay healthy when you play him 4 games a week.

The offense needs help if this team wants to do damage in the playoffs.

..and guys who look totally lost can just turn it on like flipping a switch sometimes. Jones is one of those players. Earlier in the year, he was one of the few guys producing. Yeah, Jones has slumped of late...but I personally think he is due for one of his hot streaks and I would rather bank on that than having Morneau.

And regarding Snider, Presley, etc...just saying that someone is assuming the veteran player has to be Jones. It doesn't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:07 am 

Ralphie wrote:
Look at it this way. You could potentially add Morneau without giving up Jones. Consider him to be taking Pie's spot. Or in the bigger picture, Lambo's.

Who would you rather have in the postseason, Morneau or Lambo? I'll take the veteran. Lambo would still be a September call-up, and will be there for us next year.

Now THAT I agree with..... I'd rather have Morneau than Lambo, Presley, Harrison, or Pie....especially if we make the Series and need a DH for half the games!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:04 pm 

If this were to happen I think it would have by now. It's been 5 days and we've gotten nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:12 pm 

MLB trade rumors posted recently that Twins aren't getting much interest in Morneau....I smell a smokescreen....At least I hope... 8-) 8-)