Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Justin Morneau
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:38 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
in 6 more weeks he is unrestricted and gone. Both sides know that. There is a ceiling on what you can get in that kind of deal

Hence the cash . . .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:47 pm 

He's owed 3M over 6 weeks.

The Twins would have to kick in cash to get even a C prospect in return, let alone a prospect, a major leaguer, and cash on top of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:13 pm 

The Cash is what made me think it was a Pirate 1st baseman going to the twins. If they kept all three guys it would be almost 11 mil for 1st basemen.

In other words, The Pirates would be paying the twins cash so they would take the roster spot

Last edited by The Rotten One on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:15 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:
Off Topic

All this Morneau talk while the other team lost Bell for the year with a likely 3 month Lisfranc injury. Didnt Mendenhall do the injury for the year thing in his rookie season?

Mendenhall hurt a shoulder, no big deal. Lisfranc injuries are awful for running backs.

Rashard Mendenhall, met Ray Lewis. I hate that Bell is hurt. Guy was an injury free work horse in Sparty land.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:29 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
He's owed 3M over 6 weeks.

The Twins would have to kick in cash to get even a C prospect in return, let alone a prospect, a major leaguer, and cash on top of it.

Given the market, I'll be the Twins can get a C-prospect & a major leaguer for Morneau. I'm thinking the Pirates may send Jones to Morneau to off-set the cost, given that Jones is owed a bit less than $1 million for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:03 pm 

This is a really tough call. Jones has been so disappointing, but on the other hand, he always, always gets hot at some point in the season and he hasn't gotten hot yet. So maybe September and, gulp, October will be his months this year? Morneau is a formerly great player, but is declining and getting old. His hot streak is happening now, but will it last? My take is that I would be way more upset if we pulled the trigger on Morneau and he fizzles while Jones starts raking, as opposed to Jones continuing to stink while Morneau stays hot. Something keeps telling me Jones is not done yet, he has never been this bad as a Pirate, and he's not old yet. His regression this year has been surprising, and, again, he has not had a hot streak all year. And make no mistake, when Jones gets hot, he is capable of carrying the team to a WS.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:16 pm 

psubar12 wrote:
This is a really tough call. Jones has been so disappointing, but on the other hand, he always, always gets hot at some point in the season and he hasn't gotten hot yet. So maybe September and, gulp, October will be his months this year? Morneau is a formerly great player, but is declining and getting old. His hot streak is happening now, but will it last? My take is that I would be way more upset if we pulled the trigger on Morneau and he fizzles while Jones starts raking, as opposed to Jones continuing to stink while Morneau stays hot. Something keeps telling me Jones is not done yet, he has never been this bad as a Pirate, and he's not old yet. His regression this year has been surprising, and, again, he has not had a hot streak all year. And make no mistake, when Jones gets hot, he is capable of carrying the team to a WS.

I think they're both the same age. I agree with you though, let's see if Jones can get hot. He has one job, hit right handers. More time in the cage. Age has to do with his regression, he's almost there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:19 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
I agree with you though, let's see if Jones can get hot. He has one job, hit right handers. More time in the cage. Age has to do with his regression, he's almost there.

I don't know ... Jones has been swinging at balls in the dirt more than ever, and that has been going on this entire season. He just cannot STOP this habit, and major league pitchers know his weakness and exploit it mercilessly.

Watch tonight's game. I think the over/under on swings at balls below shin level is 5.

I'm going with the over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 pm 

P.S. If I get pissy during tonight's game, you will have to forgive me. No. 9 will understand - I am opposing a summary judgment motion that has 217 supposedly undisputed facts.

I want to punch a kitten.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm 

Anticipating Jones to improve over the next month and a half is a mighty pipedream, IMO. I'd be floored if there was any stopping that regression. When he's seeing RHP more times than any in his career due to having a quality platoon partner and has a .712 OPS with sub-15 HRs in late August, I think it's safe to say the ship has sailed. As far hoping that "gets hot" in September, the second halves were actually when he slumped in 2010-2011. Majorly so in 2010.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:13 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
P.S. If I get pissy during tonight's game, you will have to forgive me. No. 9 will understand - I am opposing a summary judgment motion that has 217 supposedly undisputed facts.

I'm not a lawyer, though my dad's a judge, and I know that is a formula for a bad evening....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:

#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:26 pm 

So does this thing have legs, or what?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:32 pm 
 WWW  Profile

doug frobel wrote:
So does this thing have legs, or what?

Please Lord I hope so. Jones has officially sunk.

Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:41 pm 

He was visibly awful tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:44 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
He was visibly awful tonight.

He has been awful for a month.

I will repeat - Justin Morneau has more home runs this month than Garret Jones has hits.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
I will repeat - Justin Morneau has more home runs this month than Garret Jones has hits.

But it's just a little hot streak and a short little slump...

;)

Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:10 am 

Personally, I would rather have Jones. I think a Jones hot streak is just as likely as continued Morneau success.

Instead of Jones, it could be Snider, Presley, Pie, Tabata....anybody really...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:17 am 

Animal wrote:
Personally, I would rather have Jones. I think a Jones hot streak is just as likely as continued Morneau success.

I'd love to know what you're basing that on. Jones looks totally lost at the plate right now, and he's never been a second-half player.

Animal wrote:
Instead of Jones, it could be Snider, Presley, Pie, Tabata....anybody really...

Snider's been awful, Presley has had enough time in the majors to show he's a AAAA player, Pie didn't even have a good OBP at AAA, and Tabata can't stay healthy when you play him 4 games a week.

The offense needs help if this team wants to do damage in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:44 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Snider has also been hurt, and playing hurt. I can see where a toe injury would alter your weight distribution and screw up your swing.

Not that I'm counting on him, but I'll keep a close eye on his rehag stint to see if he is the Snider from the first month and half. That would help.

Jones - slump-yeah and bad. But, slumps come and go like that, too. I am not in the "he's done" camp yet, but I wouldn't count on him either. Which leaves...

Overpay for Morneau? Depends. Bucfan is the only one here who's made reference to watching him actually hit, and not just spitting competing sabremetrics at each other. At this point, I would rely on my scouting staff. He's been hot for a month now. Why is he hot? Has the concussion fog been lifted from his head? Is he realizing he's playing for a contract? The only reports I've read on him say that for the first time in a couple years, he looks loose and fluid in his swing, that he looks like, well... Justin Morneau. If that his the case, then I would do what I could to bring him in because 1) something looks to have been "fixed" and 2) guys coming into the NL from the AL tend to do better, faster than the other way around.

ZM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next