Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Justin Morneau
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:
I guess what im saying is that even if the Pirates tossed in 500,000 for the Twins to take Jones. It would save them money in the long run. They have no need to keep 2.5 first basemen. Maybe Sanchez is the guy moving on. Jones is a little more versatile and would still PH from the left side.

Why would Sanchez go? You still need him, even with Morneau around.

Agreed, you still need that righty hitter, even if, as I found out last night oddly enough, he is better against righties this year. Also you don't need to take Morneau out of the game earlier for defense.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Garrett Jones has a .139 BABIP in August. I know he hit one or two hard right at 1B and/or 2B last night (memory is unclear). I'd take Morneau, sure, but it would have to be basically a trade for nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Corsair wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:
I guess what im saying is that even if the Pirates tossed in 500,000 for the Twins to take Jones. It would save them money in the long run. They have no need to keep 2.5 first basemen. Maybe Sanchez is the guy moving on. Jones is a little more versatile and would still PH from the left side.

Agreed, you still need that righty hitter, even if, as I found out last night oddly enough, he is better against righties this year. Also you don't need to take Morneau out of the game earlier for defense.

Who is better against righties? Morneau?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
I'm under no preconceived notion that Justin Morneau would be the second coming of Jesus Christ Andrew McCutchen, I firmly believe that the team would be stronger with him in the lineup than they would be with Garrett Jones. I am not a believer that the WAR statistic translates to actual wins.

I'm more inclined to believe that Morneau would assist in the run creation department and the run prevention department. And . . . I see no reason not to try to improve upon the existing roster. Even if the uptick is slight.

I'll put it in the "every little bit helps" category.

I also don't discount the benefit of bringing in a player with post-season experience. He won't be blinded by the October lights.

Nothing wrong with making the club better.

Well the rest of the team will be, so you'll have 7 spots to fill.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:13 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

Simply based on the fact that Sanchez cant play right and Jones can. Also the Pirates could use the LH bat on the bench more than another RH bat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:14 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
I'm under no preconceived notion that Justin Morneau would be the second coming of Jesus Christ Andrew McCutchen, I firmly believe that the team would be stronger with him in the lineup than they would be with Garrett Jones. I am not a believer that the WAR statistic translates to actual wins.

I'm more inclined to believe that Morneau would assist in the run creation department and the run prevention department. And . . . I see no reason not to try to improve upon the existing roster. Even if the uptick is slight.

I'll put it in the "every little bit helps" category.

I also don't discount the benefit of bringing in a player with post-season experience. He won't be blinded by the October lights.

Nothing wrong with making the club better.

Well the rest of the team will be, so you'll have 7 spots to fill.

A.J., Martin, and Grilli have some experience. But it's nice to have a couple of regulars in the lineup who have done it before. I don't think you need to have the experience all over the diamond.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The Rotten One wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

Simply based on the fact that Sanchez cant play right and Jones can. Also the Pirates could use the LH bat on the bench more than another RH bat

Gaby Sanchez hits lefties much better than Morneau. I'd keep him around.

Lambo will be back up once the bullpen is back to normal. Don't forget that. There's an OF who hits lefties, if we want that.

Biertempfel (I believe) mentioned that they sent him down when they did partly because he'll be eligible to come up Aug. 31 for playoff rosters.

The Rotten One wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

And dont forget about the chemistry of the team. Sanchez is more of a johnny come lately. Losing a original lost boy could have some negative affects.

Last edited by The Rotten One on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:16 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
My stance is clear....I don't like gambling on SSS. It's a bad way to run a ball club.

I take exception to your statements. A GM's job in mid-August necessarily involves gambling on small sample sizes. Every GM of a contending team must analyze the available talent and make a determination whether the available talent will outperform the existing talent. Its simply part of the job. There is no escaping it.

Look at it this way:
The Twins approach Huntington with what is essentially a Morneau for Jones trade.
Huntington has a decision to make.
Go with Jones for the rest of the year or go with Morneau for the rest of the year.

EITHER WAY . . . it's a gamble and it is a gamble on what will happen in the last 25% of the year.

However, make no mistake, standing pat with Jones is no less of a gamble than bringing on Morneau.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:17 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Why would the Twins trade Morneau for Jones?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:19 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Its the prospect that will be the Twins' primary focus. They'd bring on Jones simply to play first base for the rest of the year. Bucs would need to free up a roster space as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:20 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Three reasons I can think of. One, he's a capable first baseman who can step in for Morneau. Two, the Twins would control him for the 2014 season if they like what they see. Three, he's a former Twin and maybe some people in the organization think he can have a resurgence there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:21 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Because if Morneau goes back to playing like he was before these torrid 2 weeks, he's not an upgrade.

We're clamoring for him because of a hot streak.

July, I agree.
May and June, I disagree.

Morneau's May and June >>>>>>>>>> Jones' May and June

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:23 pm 

Off Topic

All this Morneau talk while the other team lost Bell for the year with a likely 3 month Lisfranc injury. Didnt Mendenhall do the injury for the year thing in his rookie season?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Three reasons I can think of. One, he's a capable first baseman who can step in for Morneau. Two, the Twins would control him for the 2014 season if they like what they see. Three, he's a former Twin and maybe some people in the organization think he can have a resurgence there.

But we're talking about how much he sucks and how he's declining and not going to get better. Why would the Twins be blind to this? Also, the Twins buried him in the minors for like 7 years. I'd think he hates them.

They are going to want a prospect, as No. 9 says. Won't they want a good one? I don't want to give them a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:28 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The Rotten One wrote:
Off Topic

All this Morneau talk while the other team lost Bell for the year with a likely 3 month Lisfranc injury. Didnt Mendenhall do the injury for the year thing in his rookie season?

Mendenhall hurt a shoulder, no big deal. Lisfranc injuries are awful for running backs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:30 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

But we're talking about how much he sucks and how he's declining and not going to get better. Why would the Twins be blind to this? Also, the Twins buried him in the minors for like 7 years. I'd think he hates them.

They are going to want a prospect, as No. 9 says. Won't they want a good one? I don't want to give them a good one.

They are going to want a prospect as well. But they have to know they won't get a top prospect. It'll be a lower-level guy, plus Jones or Snider or something. That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

in 6 more weeks he is unrestricted and gone. Both sides know that. There is a ceiling on what you can get in that kind of deal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:37 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
in 6 more weeks he is unrestricted and gone. Both sides know that. There is a ceiling on what you can get in that kind of deal

Exactly. And Morneau helps the Buccos, I think, but his lack of trade value is evidenced by the fact that he passed through waivers and nobody picked him up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next