Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAGIC NUMBER
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm 

The Magic Number is 9

This is the number of wins it will take to get to 81. There is absolutely no reason to think beyond anything but that. In 9 wins we can celebrate Pittsburgh. We will no longer be losers. At least for one year that is. The fan fare will be great. ESPN will be all over the breaking of the streak. " This is what they will say; "The Pirates have ended the curse. Twenty years of futility finally come to an end!" Well wont that be special?
In a year that the Pirates will overcome a milestone will also be filled with the memory of opportunity's lost. It will be marked with small failures along the way. Last I checked we were in one hell of a battle that had most pirate fans thinking they were almost a given to make the playoffs. Not so fast. The Cardinals are a game back. The Reds are a mere 1.5 games back and the ( You dont make the playoffs) Arizona D- Backs are a shocking 4.5 back. And closing fast. And by the way. Their offense is way better than the Pirate offense.
Little Failures
Huntington did not want to give up too much to get a bat. Do you honestly think this Pitching staff is going to be better next year? Not gonna happen. Huntington failed to get a bat for this line up. They are wasting an opportunity for the Pirates to take back the city of Pittsburgh. They just went 13 innings without scoring at home against mediocre pitching. Its ridiculous. The Jones-Sanchez platoon is so bad it is becoming a joke around the majors. I know you will drop Huntington excuses for him...No one was available....Cant over pay... But getting no one is a simple failure. He failed to add a bat.
I suppose we should just be thankful for what we are given. For the fans We will no longer be lovable losers and for the ownership....lOOK AT THE CROWD!

Post subject: Re: MAGIC NUMBER
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:44 pm 

They're in a slump, three straight series losses, and now the have to go west without a day off and try to turn this around with the cards and reds breathing down their necks. San Diego and San Francisco will provide stiff tests.

More than anything I want them to prove you wrong just as they've done all year. Everybody take a deep breath and for you east coasters be sure to get your rest this week. There is always a box score in the a.m. Let's go bucs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
The Magic Number is 9

This is the number of wins it will take to get to 81. There is absolutely no reason to think beyond anything but that. In 9 wins we can celebrate Pittsburgh. We will no longer be losers. At least for one year that is. The fan fare will be great. ESPN will be all over the breaking of the streak. " This is what they will say; "The Pirates have ended the curse. Twenty years of futility finally come to an end!" Well wont that be special?
In a year that the Pirates will overcome a milestone will also be filled with the memory of opportunity's lost. It will be marked with small failures along the way. Last I checked we were in one hell of a battle that had most pirate fans thinking they were almost a given to make the playoffs. Not so fast. The Cardinals are a game back. The Reds are a mere 1.5 games back and the ( You dont make the playoffs) Arizona D- Backs are a shocking 4.5 back. And closing fast. And by the way. Their offense is way better than the Pirate offense.
Little Failures
Huntington did not want to give up too much to get a bat. Do you honestly think this Pitching staff is going to be better next year? Not gonna happen. Huntington failed to get a bat for this line up. They are wasting an opportunity for the Pirates to take back the city of Pittsburgh. They just went 13 innings without scoring at home against mediocre pitching. Its ridiculous. The Jones-Sanchez platoon is so bad it is becoming a joke around the majors. I know you will drop Huntington excuses for him...No one was available....Cant over pay... But getting no one is a simple failure. He failed to add a bat.
I suppose we should just be thankful for what we are given. For the fans We will no longer be lovable losers and for the ownership....lOOK AT THE CROWD!

Arizona is 7 behind the Bucs for the last wild are spot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 am 

Pardon my frustration but I am so tired of watching Garrett Jones and Gabby Sanchez hit (or not hit) behind K-Dro I could scream. maybe its just me but the opposing Manager simple dictates to Clint Hurdle who he wants to pitch to. If sanchez starts, by the 6 inning you bring in a righty and Hurdle counters with Jones. You have to pitch to Jones with a right hander 1 time and then for the rest of the game you get back to back auto out with Alvarez and Jones. Its ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:00 pm 

With all due respect . . . that's not my interest. 81, 82, 83 doesn't mean anything to me this year. My "take" is that a winning/losing season is not defined by an 80 or 82 win season. The significance that those place on .500 is not lost on me and I'm not taking issue with those who are focusing upon it. To me . . . a 79 win season is not materially different from a 80, 81 or 82 win season.

Had they won yesterday, I was ready to go with a Magic Number post for the playoffs. Losing yesterday's game was not only costly in that it lost a golden opportunity to reduce the playoff magic number by 2, it permitted AZ to tie the season series. The Bucs had a great chance to get the equivalent of a game and one-half in the standings against AZ but . . . alas . . . not to be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

For me, 82 is the number that counts. 81 means nothing in my eyes. Another non-winning season.

Let's just sweep the Fathers and go from there!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
With all due respect . . . that's not my interest. 81, 82, 83 doesn't mean anything to me this year. My "take" is that a winning/losing season is not defined by an 80 or 82 win season. The significance that those place on .500 is not lost on me and I'm not taking issue with those who are focusing upon it. To me . . . a 79 win season is not materially different from a 80, 81 or 82 win season.

Personally I'll sip on some Rye Whiskey the night they win #82. It's been a long time coming. I understand the big picture and I hope the players don't get too excited. As a fan I'll certainly enjoy the evening.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

IA Pirate wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Personally I'll sip on some Rye Whiskey the night they win #82. It's been a long time coming. I understand the big picture and I hope the players don't get too excited. As a fan I'll certainly enjoy the evening.

Yeah, I'm with you, although I think no. 9's is a perfectly reasonable opinion. It's the "82 means nothing and you people just don't get it" ones that I think are misguided.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:44 pm 

Oh . . . believe me . . . I've got a special adult beverage cooling in my bar which will be opened if/when they hit 82 this year. I'd be way more focused on 82 this year if they were sitting 3-4 games above .500 and there were no other "brass rings" to grab. 82 will be a milestone but . . . I sure hope to hell that there will be many more meaningful games after they hit that milestone.

Its to the point that - FOR ME - I'll look at a 84 or 85 win season as a disappointment. A major disappointment. I'm not guilty of counting chickens before they've hatched but if this team can't play within a game or two of .500 for the rest of the season, I'm going to need some serious professional therapy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
Its to the point that - FOR ME - I'll look at a 84 or 85 win season as a disappointment. A major disappointment. I'm not guilty of counting chickens before they've hatched but if this team can't play within a game or two of .500 for the rest of the season, I'm going to need some serious professional therapy.

I agree with you 100%, therapy and all! Hell, I may need some now...

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:20 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Had they won yesterday, I was ready to go with a Magic Number post for the playoffs. Losing yesterday's game was not only costly in that it lost a golden opportunity to reduce the playoff magic number by 2, it permitted AZ to tie the season series. The Bucs had a great chance to get the equivalent of a game and one-half in the standings against AZ but . . . alas . . . not to be.

Sooo, here's the question. Do we root for AZ or Cincy tonight. Of course in the cosmic sense it doesn't matter who we root for, but is it better (assuming the Bucs win) to push AZ back further and perhaps bury them for good or keep Cincy at bay?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:31 pm 

Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Sooo, here's the question. Do we root for AZ or Cincy tonight. Of course in the cosmic sense it doesn't matter who we root for, but is it better (assuming the Bucs win) to push AZ back further and perhaps bury them for good or keep Cincy at bay?

Great question and one that I've been pondering since last night. I don't want either team to get hot. I'm concluded that I'm hoping for a 2-1 series and don't really care who wins the 2 games. If either team is going to sweep, I guess I'd rather it be Cincinnati. Three losses by AZ only bolsters the Bucs' post-season chances. Three losses by the Reds and the D'Backs may find themselves in the heart of a race . . .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Beat 'em Bucs wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Great question and one that I've been pondering since last night. I don't want either team to get hot. I'm concluded that I'm hoping for a 2-1 series and don't really care who wins the 2 games. If either team is going to sweep, I guess I'd rather it be Cincinnati. Three losses by AZ only bolsters the Bucs' post-season chances. Three losses by the Reds and the D'Backs may find themselves in the heart of a race . . .

Been going back and forth on this as well. As much as I hate the Reds, if they sweep the D'Backs and the Bucs take two of three from the Pads it tightens the race with the Reds but puts AZ 8 games back in the loss column (behind the Bucs) and they are starting to run out of games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You should root for AZ. They simply cannot catch up. Too many losses to make up.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:06 pm 

Root for the Pirates. We take care of business, and nothing else matters. I don't want to back into a playoff spot. We're in the drivers seat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 pm 

Quote:
With all due respect . . . that's not my interest. 81, 82, 83 doesn't mean anything to me this year. My "take" is that a winning/losing season is not defined by an 80 or 82 win season.

No#9.....The Magic Number posting was complete and utter sarcasm on my part. I could give two fuks about anything less than winning the wild card game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:42 pm 

:roll:

Pittsburgh fans are certainly nothing if not entitled. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:39 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

I would agree with you. In any other year. But since we are on the tail end of 20, the number 82 is very big with me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
The Magic Number is 9

Little Failures

Screw 81, and I"m glad you're not the GM.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:29 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Pardon my frustration but I am so tired of watching Garrett Jones and Gabby Sanchez hit (or not hit) behind K-Dro I could scream. maybe its just me but the opposing Manager simple dictates to Clint Hurdle who he wants to pitch to. If sanchez starts, by the 6 inning you bring in a righty and Hurdle counters with Jones. You have to pitch to Jones with a right hander 1 time and then for the rest of the game you get back to back auto out with Alvarez and Jones. Its ridiculous.

Gaby Sanchez still has an OPS of over .900 against lefties. If you're tired of watching him in his starts, you don't know much about baseball.

By the way, to all of the folks who were screaming "Cheap Nutting" back when Jones was being shopped around in the offseason (not accusing you, Rotten, if you weren't one of them, but your mention of Jones brought this to mind), where are you all now?