Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minors update 8/16/13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:21 pm 

Firstly, my apologies for not being able to keep up with the nightly "Minors" threads the past few weeks. As the boring excuse goes, personal life got in the way, mostly because I have been working on/completing my first self-published (baseball themed) children's storybook (I wrote and illustrated). I posted about this briefly the other day, but just for fun, I gave the board a shoutout in the acknowledgement section. So, you're welcome, bucco boy, for having the UPPMB's name in print in a short run of children's books about a lizard that plays baseball. :P

As I am still checking things out on a daily basis, here are just a couple of random notes on each team in the system I usually recap ...

- Indianapolis, in the post-Lambo/T. Sanchez era, continues to win a ton of games with their mostly AAA-archetype roster. While I stayed patient for a long time, Jerry Sands has completely flopped, only hitting 7 HRs and a sub-.700 OPS following the monster years he put up in the PCL. But, there are major positives from that trade elsewhere in Indy - though he's struggled a bit lately, Stolmy Pimentel is still having a really solid year between AA and AAA and should be a lock to be promoted when rosters expand soon. Ivan DeJesus continues to quietly have one of the stronger years of any hitter in the system, hitting .322 with 22 SB and will almost certainly get a look at a utility IF role next year. Chase d'Arnaud has not hit at all since returning from injury and has effectively played himself into non-prospect status. Andy Oliver and Brandon Cumpton continue to have slightly above average years, Jameson Taillon looks to rebound tonight after a rough outing last time. Kris Johnson was injured during his last start.

- The good news in Altoona: Gregory Polanco is really heating up in AA, posting a .940 OPS over his last ten games. His K:BB ratio is excellent, actually walking 4 more times than he has struck out through 186 ABs. The bad news: Alen Hanson's AA nosedive continues as he's hitting just .212, however it's worth noting that he is coming off of consecutive multi-hit games w/ a HR and has been better in August, and is also rarely striking out. Signs point to the fact that he'll adjust to AA pitching with time. While Alex Dickerson's recent power surge has cooled off, his solid season has continued with a .851 OPS. You'd like to see more power with the plate discipline, but the offset in XBHs with 34 doubles is encouraging. Nick Kingham is coming off of a shortened start and his ERA stands at 3.02.

- Bradenton posses the least-interesting team in the system IMO so I admit I will find it hard to dedicate a paragraph to them. Let's just start with Stetson Allie. He homered yesterday, which was just his 4th, and as he approaches 200 ABs it's looking more and more like the low-A power display isn't going to amount to much. Strikeouts are still a huge issue, though to his credit he is walking at a very decent clip. He's obviously not hitting for average either. Dan Gamache had shown signs of a breakout year earlier but has regressed back to mediocre. Willy Garcia has 15 HRs. Joely Rodriguez has been the lone bright spot in the Marauders rotation, he has had a very strong year and a 2.93 ERA.

- In West Virgina, a lot of previous overachievers in the line-up have regressed, i.e. Max Moroff and Walker Gourley. Fortunately, Josh Bell has actually improved in the second half and has posted a 1.005 OPS over his last ten. That stretch included 2 HRs, giving him 11 on the year as well as 35 doubles. It looks like the Power has also not been holding him back every other day so maybe they are finally being more lenient that the knee injury is official a thing of the past. Conversely, Dilson Hererra has struggled mightily at the plate in his last ten. Glasnow has been Glasnow. 2.50 ERA and set the WV strikeout record last week. Luis Heredia has had an up and down season through 9 starts, but has bounced back in his last two starts and has posted a 3.18 ERA on the season. Control has been an issue for Heredia.

Post subject: Re: Minors update 8/16/13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:25 pm 

Appreciate the work you do to give us an insight on the Pirates future. Good luck with the book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

TheShark wrote:
I posted about this briefly the other day, but just for fun, I gave the board a shoutout in the acknowledgement section. So, you're welcome, bucco boy, for having the UPPMB's name in print in a short run of children's books about a lizard that plays baseball. :P

That...is...AWESOME! I can't wait to purchase this!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

TheShark wrote:
- Bradenton posses the least-interesting team in the system IMO so I admit I will find it hard to dedicate a paragraph to them. Let's just start with Stetson Allie. He homered yesterday, which was just his 4th, and as he approaches 200 ABs it's looking more and more like the low-A power display isn't going to amount to much. Strikeouts are still a huge issue, though to his credit he is walking at a very decent clip. He's obviously not hitting for average either. Dan Gamache had shown signs of a breakout year earlier but has regressed back to mediocre. Willy Garcia has 15 HRs. Joely Rodriguez has been the lone bright spot in the Marauders rotation, he has had a very strong year and a 2.93 ERA.

...Man I wish this was not true, but alas the team is very weak and any good players we had were moved up. Only a handful of games left this season and maybe we can get back to winning ways in 2014.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:56 pm 

Heredia is only 19 (by 6 days, I might add) and is posting a 3.18 ERA in low-A. Nice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:10 pm 

LGM, were you able to go to the GCL Pirates game yesterday? I saw they were facing Roy Halladay (yes, that Roy Halladay) so didn't know if you made it a point to check them out. Would've probably been a cool experience down in Bradenton.

GCL team went for 3 ER against him over 6 innings, with 6 H, 3 BB, and 4 K's.

Meadows has been pretty impressive since a rough start that saw him go 3-22 with 8 K's and drew some praise from both Marc Hulet and Keith Law recently. He has 16 XBH so far, and a 32:18 K/BB ratio (poor start included). OPS is at .917.

Reese McGuire has cooled off some but is still showing some encouraging signs. He's still hitting, he just doesn't hit for much power or walk a ton. Conversely, he doesn't K a ton either as he has a 14:11 K/BB in 6 more PA than Meadows. His average is slightly higher than Meadows', but the OBP and SLG lag behind by a bit. That said, there were questions about the bat so even just making contact is huge for him in terms of answering the bell. OPS is at .787, hindered mostly by a .075 ISO.

Wyatt Mathisen is rehabbing in Bradenton and tearing it up. Small sample but a .500 average with 5 BB and 1 K is a pretty strong indicator that he's probably a bit advanced for the level. He'll probably head back to WV soon, and hopefully produce now that he's healthy. Was apparently nursing a labrum injury from the first week or so of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:45 pm 

IMOKRU wrote:
Appreciate the work you do to give us an insight on the Pirates future. Good luck with the book.

IA Pirate wrote:
That...is...AWESOME! I can't wait to purchase this!

Thanks, guys. The support is appreciated.

IA - sent you a PM about the book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:49 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Wyatt Mathisen is rehabbing in Bradenton and tearing it up. Small sample but a .500 average with 5 BB and 1 K is a pretty strong indicator that he's probably a bit advanced for the level. He'll probably head back to WV soon, and hopefully produce now that he's healthy. Was apparently nursing a labrum injury from the first week or so of the season.

Getting Mathisen back on track would be huge for the system now that Tony Sanchez has graduated. McGuire is obviously the better prospect, but you don't to put your entire stock in him as your de facto catcher prospect like the aforementioned Sanchez, and completely write him off like people did when Sanchez had a down year in AA. I have no doubts that the injury was at least holding Mathisen back somewhat when he didn't hit at WV at all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:29 pm 
 WWW  Profile

StarlingArcher wrote:
LGM, were you able to go to the GCL Pirates game yesterday? I saw they were facing Roy Halladay (yes, that Roy Halladay) so didn't know if you made it a point to check them out. Would've probably been a cool experience down in Bradenton.

...Wish I had. been sick this week so no GCL.

GCL team went for 3 ER against him over 6 innings, with 6 H, 3 BB, and 4 K's.

Meadows has been pretty impressive since a rough start that saw him go 3-22 with 8 K's and drew some praise from both Marc Hulet and Keith Law recently. He has 16 XBH so far, and a 32:18 K/BB ratio (poor start included). OPS is at .917.

...Meadows looks good in person. I don't keep stats. myself, but yeah I do remember him struggling at first. Seems to be working closer to finding a good groove.

Reese McGuire has cooled off some but is still showing some encouraging signs. He's still hitting, he just doesn't hit for much power or walk a ton. Conversely, he doesn't K a ton either as he has a 14:11 K/BB in 6 more PA than Meadows. His average is slightly higher than Meadows', but the OBP and SLG lag behind by a bit. That said, there were questions about the bat so even just making contact is huge for him in terms of answering the bell. OPS is at .787, hindered mostly by a .075 ISO.

...yeah Reese was just the opposite of Austin. he started hot but has cooled, agreed. He always seemed to make good contact, which I was impressed by, knowing he is a catcher and for some reason they [catchers] don't normally hit so well.

...I am hoping he'll be around for instructs next month so I can watch him a little more. That should be a fun time.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:29 pm 

I would also like to add my thanks to both you and LGM for your outstanding work covering our farm teams. I enjoy reading the updates and seeing the pictures. Good luck with the book! In the 15+ years that I have been on this board and its previous incarnations, I do believe that this is the first time that we have been acknowledged in a book.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:39 am 
 WWW  Profile

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
I would also like to add my thanks to both you and LGM for your outstanding work covering our farm teams. I enjoy reading the updates and seeing the pictures. Good luck with the book! In the 15+ years that I have been on this board and its previous incarnations, I do believe that this is the first time that we have been acknowledged in a book.

This post X's 100. Good work fellas.

7:00 PM